WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ULA Circuit Equipment Failure

I've been trying to go lighter and bought a ULA Circuit three weeks ago. Took it on a section hike in PA this weekend--Lehigh Gap to Hawk Mountain Road. I stopped at Bake Oven Knob Shelter to eat and rest and realized that my hip belt buckle was broken. One of the prongs had broken off. Luckily it still closed with one prong but I hiked the rest of the hike, including the Knife's Edge, expecting the hip belt to suddenly come apart. I emailed ULA customer service with a photo of the broken buckle and requesting an immediate replacement. So far no response. Anyone with experience with these buckles and ULA packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha yes I've had that happen . hiked lots of miles with half Of a buckle .

Thom

I once had a pack with a half buckle that I got about 300 miles on (intermittent use) because I kept forgetting to get a replacement. Oddly it never did let go though I thought it would.

If you need a quick replacement, you should be able to get a replacement buckle at an REI, EMS, or other similar retailer. They only cost a few dollars and frankly, can be handy to have around. I'm sure ULA will replace it soon though.

Stuff's going to break. Annoying, especially on a new piece of gear, but things like that can happen the first day or the 500th day.

I had a similar break a few years ago on my REI Flash 62 and I am almost certain it was preceded by my having pushed the buckle pieces together with one prong in and one prong out, which stressed and weakened the one that broke off.

After this, it probably won't happen again for a long, long time.

I have been wanting to replace my plastic hardware with Ti hardware, has nothing to do with the weight, but for the durability. If any one can post a link to either replacement ULA hardware (I haven't checked their site), or to replacement Ti hardware like clips and loops.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have been wanting to replace my plastic hardware with Ti hardware, has nothing to do with the weight, but for the durability. If any one can post a link to either replacement ULA hardware (I haven't checked their site), or to replacement Ti hardware like clips and loops.
    I looked on the ULA website and there is nothing there. I'm headed to REI to see if I can find something similar but maybe a little more durable. It's a holiday weekend so I may not hear from ULA customer service until tomorrow. Unless they send the buckle priority or 2-day I won't get it in time for my next hike. Very annoying. My Osprey has gone on hundreds of miles of the AT with me and yes, it weighs more but NOTHING ever broke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=QuietStorm;2129041]I looked on the ULA website and there is nothing there. I'm headed to REI to see if I can find something similar but maybe a little more durable. It's a holiday weekend so I may not hear from ULA customer service until tomorrow. Unless they send the buckle priority or 2-day I won't get it in time for my next hike. Very annoying. My Osprey has gone on hundreds of miles of the AT with me and yes, it weighs more but NOTHING ever broke.

It's just a buckle get over it . It's not stoping you from hiking . You think Osprey packs never have to b repaired ?

If you still have the Osprey is it possible to replace it with that one for the time being?

And I agree with the general sentiment... this isn't anything at all to 'blow a gasket' over. It's okay and totally understandable to be pissed off about it (tho briefly!) but out in the woods you must get over it quickly and move on to working the problem. Anger is wasted energy.

plastic buckles break. sometimes they are faulty from the beginning or they get damaged. most common is getting stepped on. if the buckle is not sewed in, just replace it and carry a spare as well...

Just one mans opinion. I have three ULA packs (my whole family hikes) and have had great service from the company. I have not had any major issues, but did have an area come loose on my left shoulder after 5 years of use. I contacted them, returned it, and they repaired it for no charge - they even paid return shipping! I am confident that they will make this right. It is a holiday weekend so I am sure they are enjoying their time away from work too. You have a great piece of gear - just bad luck.

I've broken a buckle on a ULA Circuit like that too, and in my case also I've hiked quite a lot of miles after --- BUT --- in my case it was after I had put a whole lot of miles on the pack AND it was a chest strap buckle. A waist belt buckle broken like that would be a no-go IMO, too much weight/force on it.

The part of this I don't understand is ULA not responding; I've interacted with them a few times over the years, both pre- and post- transition (before and after Brian Frankle owned the company), and always found them to be friendly, helpful, and responsive. Perhaps give them a call? Hmm, recognizing that it's a holiday today, however ... (at least post offices are closed, I don't know what else).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Thank you for the comments and advice. I went out and bought a temporary replacement buckle at REI. I may keep it on or use it as a spare once ULA sends me a new one. For those of you who commented that I should 'get over it' and not 'blow a gasket,' I assure you I didn't. I just finished hiking a particularly demanding section of PA and didn't need the added issue of broken gear. It happens. I know. I'm not an idiot. I carry a repair kit. I'll just have to add buckles to it for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I looked on the ULA website and there is nothing there. I'm headed to REI to see if I can find something similar but maybe a little more durable. It's a holiday weekend so I may not hear from ULA customer service until tomorrow. Unless they send the buckle priority or 2-day I won't get it in time for my next hike. Very annoying. My Osprey has gone on hundreds of miles of the AT with me and yes, it weighs more but NOTHING ever broke.

If its any conciliation I hav carried my ULA for hundreds of miles without failure. No product, especially nylons and polys are perfect. Could have had a stress in it before even arriving at ULA, or could have been exposed to extreme heat after leaving ULA.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I've broken buckles by stepping on them. Often it's not an immediate failure, but causes a crack which later fails.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My ULA CDT's sternum strap has looked like that for the past 3 years. Still works just fine. As for ULA not getting back to you, this is their busy time of the year as all the new thru-hikers want their new pack and many have questions. Be patient. You should be able to order something very similar online from somewhere. Measure the width of the strap that loops through it for the size. One like this won't require you to sew: Amazon Link

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I've been trying to go lighter and bought a ULA Circuit three weeks ago. Took it on a section hike in PA this weekend--Lehigh Gap to Hawk Mountain Road. I stopped at Bake Oven Knob Shelter to eat and rest and realized that my hip belt buckle was broken. One of the prongs had broken off. Luckily it still closed with one prong but I hiked the rest of the hike, including the Knife's Edge, expecting the hip belt to suddenly come apart. I emailed ULA customer service with a photo of the broken buckle and requesting an immediate replacement. So far no response. Anyone with experience with these buckles and ULA packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your title is a bit misleading. Why not say "buckle failure" instead? When I think equipment failure, I think of straps falling off, bottoms falling out, or other problems that prevent the back from being used at all. If you can afford to send the pack in for a buckle, you can probably buy one and do it yourself or wear the Osprey until you hear back from ULA.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    My ULA CDT's sternum strap has looked like that for the past 3 years. Still works just fine. As for ULA not getting back to you, this is their busy time of the year as all the new thru-hikers want their new pack and many have questions. Be patient. You should be able to order something very similar online from somewhere. Measure the width of the strap that loops through it for the size. One like this won't require you to sew: Amazon Link
    Thank you. I've already replaced it. A hip belt strap probably takes more stress than a sternum strap, and if a hip belt buckle fails completely with a pack around 30 pounds it ain't going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    Your title is a bit misleading. Why not say "buckle failure" instead? When I think equipment failure, I think of straps falling off, bottoms falling out, or other problems that prevent the back from being used at all. If you can afford to send the pack in for a buckle, you can probably buy one and do it yourself or wear the Osprey until you hear back from ULA.
    Yes, thank you. I've already replaced it. I consider the buckles part of the pack's equipment. If ULA puts them on their packs, they shouldn't fail on the second time out.

Journal Entries

ULA doesnt make the buckle.

Replace it yourself for less than the $20 it will cost you to mail pack in.

Usually caused by car door.......

Images

I carry large safety pins for times like this. I have rescued a couple hikers that stepped on their buckles and broke them. The pins can also be used to pin socks to your pack for drying, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++