WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I carry large safety pins for times like this. I have rescued a couple hikers that stepped on their buckles and broke them. The pins can also be used to pin socks to your pack for drying, etc.
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    My ULA CDT's sternum strap has looked like that for the past 3 years. Still works just fine. As for ULA not getting back to you, this is their busy time of the year as all the new thru-hikers want their new pack and many have questions. Be patient. You should be able to order something very similar online from somewhere. Measure the width of the strap that loops through it for the size. One like this won't require you to sew: Amazon Link
    What a coincidence. That is exactly the replacement buckle I bought this morning at REI.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    Thank you for the comments and advice. I went out and bought a temporary replacement buckle at REI. I may keep it on or use it as a spare once ULA sends me a new one. For those of you who commented that I should 'get over it' and not 'blow a gasket,' I assure you I didn't. I just finished hiking a particularly demanding section of PA and didn't need the added issue of broken gear. It happens. I know. I'm not an idiot. I carry a repair kit. I'll just have to add buckles to it for the future.

No offense intended... especially not to a newcomer to the Dark Side.

This might be good fodder for a "What would you do?" thread about field repairs. I once repaired a broken toe "cord" (aluminum bar actually) on a Tubbs snowshoe using some 550 paracord, a work-around of which I was particularly proud. And relieved... I was a long way from the trailhead in deep snow. I sent them to Tubbs and they replaced the toe cords, crampons and lashings on both snowshoes at no cost, and these were snowshoes that had had the living hell beaten out of them.

Images

My OHM buckle "broke" on me about mile 400 or so on my AT hike, "broke" meaning not a complete failure, but it stopped staying firmly snapped, meaning it would release now and then for no reason. It was not a dirt thing, it was a premature wear on one of the buckle tangs. Just so happens, when I cruised into Damascus, the outfitter there had some spare ULA buckles, the guy handed one over, no charge, problem solved.

My point is: perhaps if there is a weak point to ULA packs it is in these waist belt buckles. I now carry a spare. A few grams.

BTW: not too surprising that ULA didn't get back to you instantly, it IS a holiday you know, and I have the feeling that ULA has the day off.

A good habit to prevent this from happening is keeping your buckles clasped while not it use. As was said before, it's a car door or a misstep that's the most common offender

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    A good habit to prevent this from happening is keeping your buckles clasped while not it use. As was said before, it's a car door or a misstep that's the most common offender
    Excellent! A pain to do regularly, but excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    My OHM buckle "broke" on me about mile 400 or so on my AT hike, "broke" meaning not a complete failure, but it stopped staying firmly snapped, meaning it would release now and then for no reason. It was not a dirt thing, it was a premature wear on one of the buckle tangs. Just so happens, when I cruised into Damascus, the outfitter there had some spare ULA buckles, the guy handed one over, no charge, problem solved.

My point is: perhaps if there is a weak point to ULA packs it is in these waist belt buckles. I now carry a spare. A few grams.

BTW: not too surprising that ULA didn't get back to you instantly, it IS a holiday you know, and I have the feeling that ULA has the day off.
    as I read it he had the problem over the weekend and posted this on Monday morning at 8AM Eastern time. UA is at least a couple of hours behind that.

it would be beyond impressive for a company to respond at 6AM on a Monday, even if it weren't a holiday...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    as I read it he had the problem over the weekend and posted this on Monday morning at 8AM Eastern time. UA is at least a couple of hours behind that.

it would be beyond impressive for a company to respond at 6AM on a Monday, even if it weren't a holiday...
    It might be worth reading my previous posts. And in any case, I still haven't heard from their customer service, although I ordered a shoulder strap pack this morning and it just shipped out. Apparently no one is monitoring customer service but orders and shipping are on the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastic buckles and the like are always prone to breaking in the cold

For some reason I'm not feeling calmness from your posts. Maybe it's just my interpretation of your writing but I'm glad I'm not in retail ...
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Plastic buckles and the like are always prone to breaking in the cold
    Well I've done a lot of winter hiking and this has never happened. It was 65 degrees at the time so...yeah.

Finally success. Just spoke to Chris after sending three emails (customer service is out this week) and leaving a voice mail. Getting a new buckle.

These buckles and other plastic fittings are universal and a good Google search will turn up a lot of sources.
    I like the suggestion of a Ti replacement might be a bit pricey tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries

ULA was very gracious to me and right away sent me a new buckle for my catalyst. Communication and receipt took about 8 days. Any dollar general or thrift shop should have a students backpack or large satchel for purchase with matching buckles that you can size match and help you out until you round the corner of an outfitter or hear from ULA.
    CAKE

Thank you all. I posted yesterday that I found and installed a replacement buckle. Once I receive the new one from ULA I'll put the Sea to Summit buckle in my repair kit.

Thank you all. I posted yesterday that I found and installed a replacement buckle. Once I receive the new one from ULA I'll put the Sea to Summit buckle in my repair kit.

id send sea to summit and email now, that way when theirs breaks you'll already be in the que.

It might be worth reading my previous posts. And in any case, I still haven't heard from their customer service, although I ordered a shoulder strap pack this morning and it just shipped out. Apparently no one is monitoring customer service but orders and shipping are on the job.

I read the very first post. did something change?..

The two ULA packs I have use buckles made by National Molding (USA) .
    The same company , under the brand Duraflex, also made the buckles for my two Osprey and Aarn packs.
    (you can read the brand on them...)
    In other words , it could have happened with many other packs too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++