WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default In order to plan a faster more efficient July thru...what sections seem to be easier

Hoping to set up 4 food resupply boxes to keep weight down. What sections tend to be easier miles in general? Shooting for 21-22 day hike. Needing to do an avg around 21 mpd obviously some harder sections will be less and others more....thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really don't have a whole lot of choices. The towns are few and far between. I would say Breckenridge, Leadville, Salida and Lake City for resupply. The CT doesn't have very many easy segments. If I were rating them, I'd say that Segments 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 18 are easier than the rest.

You might find Yogi's guide for the CT very helpful in figuring out the resupply logistics.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 02-20-2017 at 14:28.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

I saw a YouTube video of a couple who added Bailey as their first resupply which I will be taking advantage of since it is at 40 miles out

Looking at Mags' guide it would seem that the Monarch Crest store/lodge would be a good one instead of Salida...it's right on the trail so no having to hitch into town and waste time and hiking miles.

Yea resupply wise had kind of thought I'd do Breck, TL, Monarch in case didn't have time to go into Salida and LC.....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Yea resupply wise had kind of thought I'd do Breck, TL, Monarch in case didn't have time to go into Salida and LC.....

Twin Lakes to Monarch on the Collegiate West trail is feasible without resupply?
    Right. If you're a greyhound. Grinning.
    Never mind. Back to the drawing board.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Twin Lakes to Monarch on the Collegiate West trail is feasible without resupply?
    Wayne

It is 78 miles on some of the newest as best tread on the CT. It goes high but is not particularly difficult. Probably 4 - 5 days.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

Yep was a ball buster did it in lil over 3.5 days on the loop....I did a food cache last year Y CP but was not there when I arrived so hitched into BV for resupply. Next time I'll carry 4 days worth...too much time waisted hitching etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    It is 78 miles on some of the newest as best tread on the CT. It goes high but is not particularly difficult. Probably 4 - 5 days.
    WaaaaY better than the east!!!! Loved it!

Images

My tentative list:
    1) Copper Mountain 119
    2) Twin Lakes 177
    3) Monarch (doing west route) 261
    4) Molas Campground. 409

resupply 4 is my only question mark. It would be a 5 day carry which is at the upper end of my desire. But it is too convenient to pass up.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

i'd do:
    -frisco
    -twin lakes
    -monarch crest / salida
    -lake city
    -silverton possibly but you're real close to the end at this point

both lake city and salida are far from the trail, so you'll burn a couple hours getting to/from the trail. also i wouldn't plan on spending the night at any hostels.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    My tentative list:
    1) Copper Mountain 119
    2) Twin Lakes 177
    4) Molas Campground. 409

resupply 4 is my only question mark. It would be a 5 day carry which is at the upper end of my desire. But it is too convenient to pass up.
    Curious why copper vs Breck? I'll have to look at Molas seems like a good plan....your on a much faster pace so I assume no hostel stays? I know it's hard to pass up a good meal and a shower so if I can get my mpd to have it logistically work I'd like to hit 1 or 2 hostel stays i.e. Breck and possibly a Salida if it's during the week and can get a guaranteed early ride back to MP i.e. Chaffee shuttle.

Images

Curious why copper vs Breck? I'll have to look at Molas seems like a good plan....your on a much faster pace so I assume no hostel stays? I know it's hard to pass up a good meal and a shower so if I can get my mpd to have it logistically work I'd like to hit 1 or 2 hostel stays i.e. Breck and possibly a Salida if it's during the week and can get a guaranteed early ride back to MP i.e. Chaffee shuttle.

I don't know Malto's reasoning, but if you want to keep the resupply points to 4, get past breck to copper for your first one. I'm 20 years older and I've done Waterton to Kenosha in 3 days twice now, even 24 mile days, easy peasy walking most of the way. If you're a little short and stop near end of section 5, that's fine, but keep eye out on water for this camp. Then 2 easy days for section 6 and another day for 7, voila, you're at Copper the afternoon of day 6, pig out at a ski-area restaurant, and you're ready for resupply.

I concur with Malto's 4-stop list as being the most efficient, if indeed you're keeping it to 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    My tentative list:
    1) Copper Mountain 119
    2) Twin Lakes 177
    4) Molas Campground. 409

Curious why copper vs Breck? I'll have to look at Molas seems like a good plan....your on a much faster pace so I assume no hostel stays? ..
    This. But it would depend on my direction of travel and in regard to elvation profile which you can find for each CT segment in the CT Trail Guide book or at Postholers CT site. Maybe Bearcreek has this beta offered as well since he's banged out the CT 6X. For example, if Denver bound I would seek to be food empty near the CT Ski hut before the steep descent into Copper Mt. I'd do a buy on the fly oner short day resupply at the nearby gas station near the TH for the lower wt ascent up over the ridge and down to Breck. I'd do a nearby Breck resupply and ride that resupply into Waterton which is an easier piecev of the CT. In and out.

Reverse it if Durango bound. Don't do a huge resupply in Breck. take only a day's chow. Resupply in Frisco and ride that resupply south to your next resupply.

Another example would be not hauling a big food resupply up to Molas Pass if Durango bound and NOT a huge resupply wt descending down Molas and up to the CDT/CT junction.

I wouldn't go into salida or lake City unless shuttles have been previously arranged as they can entail two part hitches.

Leadville can be an in and out resupply added to the mix buying at the grocery store from tennessee pass too.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I don't know Malto's reasoning, but if you want to keep the resupply points to 4, get past breck to copper for your first one.
    Or.....spend night in breck, day hike to Copper next day..shuttle back, spending second night in breck, then shuttle back out to Copper next morning and continue.

Standard operating procedure

Two nights rest , several good meals, and youll be ready to go. Might short you a few miles if trying to maintain high pace, make it up getting to breck or TL. Getting to breck 1/2 day early dont do no good. Make it full day...4 days...then take the easy slackpack day with 2 nights in breck. Mail resupply to the bivy.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-20-2017 at 22:22.

Images

Guys: from other threads, pretty sure SS is going SWBO, plus he's trying to do it in 21 days. Doubt if he wants to slack or do any sort of shuttling around. Why waste time taking bus into Breck and back, just hike Waterton to Copper, then to Twin Lakes, Monarch, Molas (Malto has it dialed) and git 'er done.

WaaaaY better than the east!!!! Loved it!

Yes. Some of us have known that since forever.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The only problem with resupply at Copper is that there isn't much there. I would do Breckenridge and just stop at Copper for some great restaraunts. You can resupply there, but much more is available in Breckenridge.

~ Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    The only problem with resupply at Copper is that there isn't much there. I would do Breckenridge and just stop at Copper for some great restaraunts. You can resupply there, but much more is available in Breckenridge.
    Yeah, I suppose you're right. I kind of assumed one of the Copper base area establishments accepted CT resupply boxes, like one of the restaurants or hotels, but if not, Breck is the place. If I were trying to do the CT in 3 weeks, I just hate wasting time taking bus/shuttles, but in and out of Breck would be pretty quick I suppose, then as you say, the next day stop for a nice afternoon burger/beer at Copper (200 yards from trail) before camping a few miles past.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, I suppose you're right. I kind of assumed one of the Copper base area establishments accepted CT resupply boxes, like one of the restaurants or hotels, but if not, Breck is the place. If I were trying to do the CT in 3 weeks, I just hate wasting time taking bus/shuttles, but in and out of Breck would be pretty quick I suppose, then as you say, the next day stop for a nice afternoon burger/beer at Copper (200 yards from trail) before camping a few miles past.

The other consideration is that there's plenty of time during a July day to do 20 or 25 miles (usually my legs are more of a problem than the amount of daylight). There will be at least 14 hours of useful daylight, which, at 2.5 miles per hour, is theoretically adequate for 35 miles. I'd consider taking the bus to Copper, slacking back to Breck, getting a good late lunch, and then taking the bus back to Copper. The bus trips and the lunch would probably consume about 4 hours of daylight, but that would leave at least 10 hours for hiking. And a slack over the Ten-mile range would be a nice change of pace...it could be done easily at 2.5 miles per hour with a slack weight pack.

Just need to get up at the crack of ass, and it's doable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++