WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, I suppose you're right. I kind of assumed one of the Copper base area establishments accepted CT resupply boxes, like one of the restaurants or hotels, but if not, Breck is the place. If I were trying to do the CT in 3 weeks, I just hate wasting time taking bus/shuttles, but in and out of Breck would be pretty quick I suppose, then as you say, the next day stop for a nice afternoon burger/beer at Copper (200 yards from trail) before camping a few miles past.
    I guess I was under the assumption it was a quick easy ride to one of the local Breck hostels from Th....could drop lil weight off my food load from Breck to Tl by grabbing lunch\dinner in Copper if is convenient to trail..don't think I'd want to fool with slack packing...think I'd waist too much time but never done so maybe SJ has a good point. As far as day light how much more can you expect mid July vs mid September?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I guess I was under the assumption it was a quick easy ride to one of the local Breck hostels from Th....could drop lil weight off my food load from Breck to Tl by grabbing lunch\dinner in Copper if is convenient to trail..don't think I'd want to fool with slack packing...think I'd waist too much time but never done so maybe SJ has a good point. As far as day light how much more can you expect mid July vs mid September?
    Yeah, pretty easy bus ride into breck, no big deal, just takes time, going both ways and doing business in town. But as stub says, plenty of daylight, no worries, do the breck resupply thing.

Yes, restaurants are a couple hundred yards down from the trail when passing by the Copper mtn base, save some food weight and pig out there. Don't head down too soon, wait until you can see a bunch of base area places just down from the trail to your right. IIRC, it's just past a tee box for the golf course, the tee box maybe 50 yards off the trail (you walk by a lot of the golf course before the base area). There are also a bunch of other shops, a Starbucks, etc. No real "groceries" though, but I bet you could buy some energy bars or other snacks here and there. During the summer, mountain biking is the thing at Copper, bikers ride a lift and cruise down a number of trails. You'll see a lot of old snow, like some huge leftover mounds that were the terrain park, even into August.

Funny coincidence, we're heading up to Copper Thursday to ski... which is probably one subconscious reason I preferred copper to breck for a resupply... copper is a way better ski area than breck, obviously having nothing to do with hiking the CT....

Yeah, pretty easy bus ride into breck, no big deal, just takes time, going both ways and doing business in town. But as stub says, plenty of daylight, no worries, do the breck resupply thing.

Yes, restaurants are a couple hundred yards down from the trail when passing by the Copper mtn base, save some food weight and pig out there. Don't head down too soon, wait until you can see a bunch of base area places just down from the trail to your right. IIRC, it's just past a tee box for the golf course, the tee box maybe 50 yards off the trail (you walk by a lot of the golf course before the base area). There are also a bunch of other shops, a Starbucks, etc. No real "groceries" though, but I bet you could buy some energy bars or other snacks here and there. During the summer, mountain biking is the thing at Copper, bikers ride a lift and cruise down a number of trails. You'll see a lot of old snow, like some huge leftover mounds that were the terrain park, even into August.

Funny coincidence, we're heading up to Copper Thursday to ski... which is probably one subconscious reason I preferred copper to breck for a resupply... copper is a way better ski area than breck, obviously having nothing to do with hiking the CT....
    Any place to mail resupply box in Copper?

Images

Any place to mail resupply box in Copper?

Not without some sort of pre-arrangement with a business there, as there is no post office. You could try calling various shops and restaurants, or even one of the high-priced hotels there and just see if they would agree to hold a box. In my original post that seconded Malkto's suggestion for using Copper, I just assumed the CTF had some sort of arrangement with a business for resupply, but I looked and couldn't find any. I guess everyone uses Breckenridge.

Also, I just checked on Google earth... go about 1/3rd of a mile past that close-by tee box for the closest access to the main base area, which is literally 1/10th of a mile down from the trail.

Images

Not without some sort of pre-arrangement with a business there, as there is no post office. You could try calling various shops and restaurants, or even one of the high-priced hotels there and just see if they would agree to hold a box. In my original post that seconded Malkto's suggestion for using Copper, I just assumed the CTF had some sort of arrangement with a business for resupply, but I looked and couldn't find any. I guess everyone uses Breckenridge.

Also, I just checked on Google earth... go about 1/3rd of a mile past that close-by tee box for the closest access to the main base area, which is literally 1/10th of a mile down from the trail.
    I was going to do a quick resupply at Copper. I could make do with just a Starbucks at worst case. It's a short distance to Twin Lakes. I also checked out the store at Monarch Crest and would have no issue with doing a full resupply there. Same for Twin Lakes. I guess I am probably not as picky as some when it comes to getting my calories.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I was going to do a quick resupply at Copper. I could make do with just a Starbucks at worst case. It's a short distance to Twin Lakes. I also checked out the store at Monarch Crest and would have no issue with doing a full resupply there. Same for Twin Lakes. I guess I am probably not as picky as some when it comes to getting my calories.
    Pretty sure store at TL and monarch hold boxes...I agree about store at monarch had a decent assortment of junk....hiker box was overflowing in September.....not sure about resupply at 4Bucks though.....I love coffee, chocolate covered graham crackers and nuts but would be $$$$$! I'd probably want a shower so if I skipped Breck could hit Leadville hostel just not sure about logistics as last time I was there they weren't doing shuttles....assume the outfitters would though....being on a tight schedule the wasted time concerns me...as my last trip I wasted way too much time trying to get a ride.....

Images

One other option for Copper, skipping Breck altogether.... See attached photo of a google screen shot. See the CT (yellow line) in the lower right corner, basically a sharp turn in the trail after coming down the long hill from the 10-mile range (above Breck). This is about 1/2 mile before crossing highway 91.

Right at that sharp turn, if you go north along a path you can see, it is about 0.6 to 0.7 miles to a well equipped little convenience center that includes a Conoco w/ food store and a subway (I think it's a subway, or other sandwich shop). You could do a reasonable little resupply there, plus eat a big sandwich with the works, for the cost of a 1.2-1.4 mile detour, giving you certainly enough food to get to Twin Lakes (or Leadville). By the way, between this sharp turn and the highway 91 crossing are a couple decent campsites, though with a bit of highway noise. My wife and I used this campsite and the noise was not really a bother. Better campsite though a couple miles beyond the copper base area if that times out.

Ignore those building just west of the sharp turn in the CT, those are maintenance and storage buildings.

For reference, further down the trail is shown in the left-lower portion, showing that tee box and main base area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One other option for Copper, skipping Breck altogether.... See attached photo of a google screen shot. See the CT (yellow line) in the lower right corner, basically a sharp turn in the trail after coming down the long hill from the 10-mile range (above Breck). This is about 1/2 mile before crossing highway 91.

Right at that sharp turn, if you go north along a path you can see, it is about 0.6 to 0.7 miles to a well equipped little convenience center that includes a Conoco w/ food store and a subway (I think it's a subway, or other sandwich shop). You could do a reasonable little resupply there, plus eat a big sandwich with the works, for the cost of a 1.2-1.4 mile detour, giving you certainly enough food to get to Twin Lakes (or Leadville). By the way, between this sharp turn and the highway 91 crossing are a couple decent campsites, though with a bit of highway noise. My wife and I used this campsite and the noise was not really a bother. Better campsite though a couple miles beyond the copper base area if that times out.

Ignore those building just west of the sharp turn in the CT, those are maintenance and storage buildings.

For reference, further down the trail is shown in the left-lower portion, showing that tee box and main base area.
    Thx CR definitely make note of that....

I think Copper has a dude ranch riding place that may take mailed boxes. I can't remember the name of it though...might be worth seeing if they'd take a package. I'm betting they use part of the CT as their riding trails

Breck - July
    http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp
    Breck - September
    http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp
    A couple hours.

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This. But it would depend on my direction of travel and in regard to elvation profile which you can find for each CT segment in the CT Trail Guide book or at Postholers CT site. Maybe Bearcreek has this beta offered as well since he's banged out the CT 6X. For example, if Denver bound I would seek to be food empty near the CT Ski hut before the steep descent into Copper Mt. I'd do a buy on the fly oner short day resupply at the nearby gas station near the TH for the lower wt ascent up over the ridge and down to Breck. I'd do a nearby Breck resupply and ride that resupply into Waterton which is an easier piecev of the CT. In and out.

Reverse it if Durango bound. Don't do a huge resupply in Breck. take only a day's chow. Resupply in Frisco and ride that resupply south to your next resupply.

Another example would be not hauling a big food resupply up to Molas Pass if Durango bound and NOT a huge resupply wt descending down Molas and up to the CDT/CT junction.

I wouldn't go into salida or lake City unless shuttles have been previously arranged as they can entail two part hitches.

Leadville can be an in and out resupply added to the mix buying at the grocery store from tennessee pass too.
    ....Right at that sharp turn, if you go north along a path you can see, it is about 0.6 to 0.7 miles to a well equipped little convenience center that includes a Conoco w/ food store and a subway (I think it's a subway, or other sandwich shop). You could do a reasonable little resupply there, plus eat a big sandwich with the works, for the cost of a 1.2-1.4 mile detour, giving you certainly enough food to get to Twin Lakes (or Leadville). By the way, between this sharp turn and the highway 91 crossing are a couple decent campsites, though with a bit of highway noise. My wife and I used this campsite and the noise was not really a bother. Better campsite though a couple miles beyond the copper base area if that times out.

The Conoco is the store I spoke about several posts back. Seems I'm damned whether I gave details or when I don't.

Guessing I'm talking to myself.

There are places in Copper MT that will hold a box. You may even contact the Conoco NICELY.

saltysack, from your profile it is showing you are located in Florida. I only bring that up because coming from low elevation to the higher elevation is going to take time to adjust even with a light pack. Most hikers used the Official CT Guidebook or the CT app. Both will tell you everything you need to know. It not worth spending any more money on things you don't need.

If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yes. Some of us have known that since forever.
    Wayne

Confused here. I thought that was the East Coast.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The Conoco is the store I spoke about several posts back. Seems I'm damned whether I gave details or when I don't.

Guessing I'm talking to myself.

There are places in Copper MT that will hold a box. You may even contact the Conoco NICELY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    saltysack, from your profile it is showing you are located in Florida. I only bring that up because coming from low elevation to the higher elevation is going to take time to adjust even with a light pack. Most hikers used the Official CT Guidebook or the CT app. Both will tell you everything you need to know. It not worth spending any more money on things you don't need.

If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.
    Wayne
    DW...I'll do some more checking around as it gets closer, again thx for all the helpful info...

Wolf...I'm not planning on going any food caches just premailed boxes.. I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. with the boxes I'm just trying to limit wasted time getting into town etc.

Wayne
    You lost me.....

Wolf...I'm not planning on going any food caches just premailed boxes.. I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. with the boxes I'm just trying to limit wasted time getting into town etc.

Ok, now I'm tracking. Your first option is either Breckridge. Breckridge is a day closer but has a free bus that goes right into town from the trail. One of the stops is also a Supermarket. Cooper Mountain no longer has a Post Office. It about a day out of Breckridge. You can stop there and maybe get a $$ meal and drink but that is about all.

Twin Lakes is a mile off the trail and has limited selection. Many people will send a drop here. When I went through in late July the hiker boxes were over full big time.

Buena Vista and Salida and Gunnison all have supermarket to stock up. I didn't have to go into Gunnison during my thru-hike. It is a long hitch but still an option.

Given a choice between Creede and Lake City. I only drove through Creede. It is a small old mining town with limited stores. Lake City has a hiker trail friend, former thru-hiker name Lucky who gives hikers rides in and out of towns. He picks up and drops off at 1230. He also runs the Lucky at Raven's Rest hostel. You can get by with the two stores in town but you may want to send yourself a package here.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

Images

... I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. ...
    After following your CT hikes last summer, and this time starting in Denver, I don't think you'll have any altitude issues, those first 72 miles follow a good acclimation profile. A lot of people confuse simply having less oxygen to breathe and having the shortness of breath to "altitude sickness" and wig out about it.

After following your CT hikes last summer, and this time starting in Denver, I don't think you'll have any altitude issues, those first 72 miles follow a good acclimation profile. A lot of people confuse simply having less oxygen to breathe and having the shortness of breath to "altitude sickness" and wig out about it.
    That's what I was thinking....looks like flights get into Denver around 10:30am so could likely start mid day same day...

Images

That's what I was thinking....looks like flights get into Denver around 10:30am so could likely start mid day same day...

I'm sure you realize this, but expect Waterton canyon to be hot-hot-hot on any July afternoon... just suffer that 6+ miles, soak your shirt/hat in the platte a few times, then you can cruise easier once up into the trees. Enjoy!

[QUOTE=Wolf - 23000;2129641]..If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.[/QUOTE]

This is alluding to an excellent pt. While efficiency of resupply helps make for an efficient less time costly hike it's not the only thing that affects it. Other factors like transferring between AP/public transportation, being ready to hike from the shot, just one more zero or too low a MPD nero, choosing a heavier than needed resupply especially just as you're leaving town to make a huge ascent, waiting out a lighting/fast moving front rain burst, etc can eat up time and easily offset time efficiently of resupply.

If you're planning zeros coincide them with your resupply and in town chore days. For example, if twin lakes is a resupply make it also a nero or zero and mail a package to the Inn or other place that you'd be staying. If salida looks like a good zero or nero staying at Simple Hostel mail your box directly to the hostel while arranging shuttles with them. You might arrange that with Ravens Rest in Lake City also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++