WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Easiest travel from Southeast to Durango/Silverton?

Trying to get my wife and 11 yr old son to fly out and take train from Durango to Silverton then finish up with me in Durango...surely someone has done this curious about logistics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they fly via United Airlines you may be able to fly to Durango for little more than the cost of going to Denver. If you book separate flights (Denver and Durango) it will be very expensive, so check that out first. There is also bus service from Denver to Durango via Grand Junction, CO that is reasonable. It is an all day trip, though, and there are logistical considerations getting from the airport to the bus station. Finally, she could rent a car in Denver, drive to Durango, and then you could all drive back to Denver and return the car where you got it. I'm betting that might be the simplest and most economical option. Or they could fly to Albuquerque and do the same thing. The Albuquerque airport is 143 miles closer to Durango than the Denver airport, and she would avoid mountain driving.

The Durango - Silverton narrow gauge often sells out, so have her get a reservation a few days ahead of the day she goes. The train ride is really a great experience.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 02-20-2017 at 16:02.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Every ticket for the train is a round trip. Train north/bus south or the reverse. Just an FYI.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Flights between Denver and Durango are typically expensive; check out the bargain fares on Boutique Air, which flies from Denver and I think Phoenix to Cortez, which is about 60 miles from Durango and is a stop on the bus between Durango and Grand Junction.

Journal Entries

Fly united
    Use frequent flyer miles

Or..sign up a couple cards that let you charge off $400-500 in travel expenses. Takes sting off at least.

I took my son to New York a few weeks ago to visit a college. About $1000 in expenses.....completely free to me.

Plan in advance. With good credit, you can get $1500/yr free travel churning credit cards. Lotsa trips I wouldnt take if I had to pay. I have a lot of work travel benefits, but credit cards help too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-20-2017 at 15:36.

American Airlines also flys to Durango. United is notorious for cancelling or delaying flights to / from Denver. IMO, American is much more reliable. They fly directly from Dallas to Durango.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Images

Just one possible way: Southwest air Ft. Lauderdale to Denver mid-week in July, about $350 round trip, no baggage fees, no change fees. There is one non-stop flight in the morning. If SW is going to where you want to go, I swear I have no idea why anyone flies with any other airline.

(Using Muddy's airline mile method, BTW, both my wife and I got separate SW visa cards, comes with 50K bonus miles each, used them for the required 3 months, then cancelled them. Those Ft. Lauderdale to Denver flights are about 10.5K points each way, 42K total for wife/kid roundtrip))

Once in Denver, it's a $65 Greyhound bus ride to Durango, 12 hours, cruises along I70 to GJ, then south to Durango, some nice scenery for a first visit to CO (in case this is their 1st time here).

What's the Durango train these days, just over $110 each now? Maybe $120, gotta now pay a $10 pack-baggage fee. Worth it for one ride. Kinda fun.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 02-20-2017 at 22:01.

Fares can be arranged for one way! Fares are much less than stated here. I've twice gotten one way hiker fare rates when asking nicely. http://www.durangosilvertonrailroad....ules-and-fares

The wife and I rode the train last fall after I finished my thru. I would recommend taking the train to Silverton and riding the bus back. Round trip via train makes for a long day. The bus has you back in the early afternoon, and I found it to be as enjoyable as the train.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Sorry. I missed the family backpacking part.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just one possible way: Southwest air Ft. Lauderdale to Denver mid-week in July, about $350 round trip, no baggage fees, no change fees. There is one non-stop flight in the morning. If SW is going to where you want to go, I swear I have no idea why anyone flies with any other airline.

(Using Muddy's airline mile method, BTW, both my wife and I got separate SW visa cards, comes with 50K bonus miles each, used them for the required 3 months, then cancelled them. Those Ft. Lauderdale to Denver flights are about 10.5K points each way, 42K total for wife/kid roundtrip))

Once in Denver, it's a $65 Greyhound bus ride to Durango, 12 hours, cruises along I70 to GJ, then south to Durango, some nice scenery for a first visit to CO (in case this is their 1st time here).

What's the Durango train these days, just over $110 each now? Maybe $120, gotta now pay a $10 pack-baggage fee. Worth it for one ride. Kinda fun.
    I'm in NE Fl outside Jacksonville but southwest flies in/out of here....just realized they also fly in/out of Albuquerque....could fly into Denver then out Albuquerque.....I really like the SW Visa idea! what the heck do I need $500 dividend from my REI Master Card! Got too much gear rather have a trip to use what I got! I never keep a balance an away...was only thinking Breck for the close by hostel for shower and good meal but could skip and hit Copper...

Yep, i missed that part too.....

But, call the Blair St Hostel in Silverton. The woman who runs it is named Jan, and she was shuttling to Durango last fall for $40. You might be able to arrange a pickup.

++ New Posts ++