WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Which Tarp?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Which Tarp?

I have an ENO Eagles Nest Double Hammock. I like the extra space, and I am a bigger gal. Anyway, I am looking at Tarps. Eagle Nest offers several. I have read all the reviews from their website and all the other places where you can order Tarps from. I have no clue which to order.

I am normally a tent kind of person, but I have found that a hammock makes for better sleeping and a happier back. I didn't use a tarp on my last hike because it was during a drought, but I am wanting to get a tarp for the future.

The DRYfly from Eagles Nest seems to be enough, but the sides are not covered. The HOUSEFLY seems to have better coverage, but is very expensive.

Any thoughts anyone?

~Pamela

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"

I have two hammocks--an ENO single nest and a Hennessy Asym Expedition zip. Depending on the weather, I use a Hennessy Hex Fly for more coverage and with the ENO, and the Hennessy stock tarp for less weight and less coverage. The Hex Fly cost $70 new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your budget? How much weight are you willing to carry?

Depending on your budget you might want to look at Warbonnet's Superfly on the durable and lower end of the spectrum, or Hammock Gear's Cuben Fiber tarps with doors on the more expensive but lighter weight. So many variables.

Go with the Cuben if you can afford it. Not just aprox. 1/2 the weight but also silnylon absorbs up to about 1/3 its weight when wet. Cuben fabric absorbs close to 0.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hoping for cost effective and alot of coverage. I'm not afraid of hiking in the rain, but I like to sleep dry. ( I did all of MD soaked pretty much...)

~Pamela

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Warbonnet Superfly 18oz for $140

Hammock Gear Palace Tarp 8oz for $395

I have to admit that while expensive, the CF was my choice due to the waterproofness and the light weight as I mostly backpack

Quote Originally Posted by bettybadass View Post
    Hoping for cost effective and alot of coverage. I'm not afraid of hiking in the rain, but I like to sleep dry. ( I did all of MD soaked pretty much...)
    Have you searched hammockforums dot net ? You'll probably find more information and reviews on hammock tarps over there than on WB.

As for cost per area of coverage, the Noah's Tarps by Kelty are hard to beat. You can hang the 12 in A-frame with doors if desired, though they are optimized for diamond configuration. About $50-60 for a 12 foot square, cat-cut tarp. Weighs about 35 oz. In general: silnylon weighs half as much, costs twice as much, and AFAIK is less durable.

I've also done bivy + tarp with the Noah 12 (and 9) and the room under the 12 in A-frame is pretty grand.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Have you searched hammockforums dot net ? You'll probably find more information and reviews on hammock tarps over there than on WB.

As for cost per area of coverage, the Noah's Tarps by Kelty are hard to beat. You can hang the 12 in A-frame with doors if desired, though they are optimized for diamond configuration. About $50-60 for a 12 foot square, cat-cut tarp. Weighs about 35 oz. In general: silnylon weighs half as much, costs twice as much, and AFAIK is less durable.

I've also done bivy + tarp with the Noah 12 (and 9) and the room under the 12 in A-frame is pretty grand.

35oz for just a tarp seams heavy to me

The OP specified "cost effective and alot of coverage" - the OP did not say "ultralight" or "lowest weight per sq ft coverage". The Kelty Noah's Tarp provides more sq ft of coverage per dollar spent than any silnylon tarp I've seen for sale new, can probably only be beat in this measure by a noisy generic blue tarp from a big box store.

Images

I really like my OES Maccat Tarp.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...cPath/22_26_40

he made me a custom mesh bag . Quick , quality was great and good price made in USA

thom

Images

+1 on Warbonnet Superfly. A bulletproof any season, any condition tarp.

Journal Entries
    Images

So it kinda sounds like if I want to spend less and have less weight I am going to have to go with the Hex kind or something similar. My concern is if it starts to rain, as it always seems to do, that I will get soaked.---- Unless the coverage is good enough to keep me dry in most rains... And of course if the rain is bad enough I would go find better shelter....

~Pamela

Anything from Simply Light Designs. Cheap, light, and Jared is ridiculously fast. Ordered my Simplicity Asym and it shipped in 24 hours, got it two days later. Workmanship is top notch as well, and he'll answer any questions you might have. He actually has a couple Trail Havens in stock at a discounted price as well. http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...sort/2a/page/1

FWIW, I switched from a ENO ProFly to a Warbonnet SuperFly mainly because I like the "doors." It's a good way to seal off wind running parallel to your hang.

An Etowah 8x10 flat tarp works well for me hanging or on the ground. It is roomy, simple, and light.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Light / Strong / Inexpensive <- pick two If I was on a budget I'd be looking for a polyester silnylon tarp. Dutchware gear is good vendor and he has a basic Xenon hex tarp for $120 that would be a good choice for inexpensive and still relatively light weight low stretch (not as light or low stretch as cuben fiber but less than 1/2 the cost.)

I've been using a warbonnet mamajamba for years. Initially with Blackbird hammocks but now wot a DIY. I made a set of doors and later a Grizz Beak. I like the doors more. No real reason to change tarps... Really happy with it

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk..

Warbonnet Superfly is what I use.

++ New Posts ++