WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sometimes saving one ounce just costs a bit of social status -- like going with an iPhone SE rather than the 7.

Of course that would be a real punch in the gut.

Note to Dogwood: Best to leave politics and religion out of these threads :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JRowan View Post

TL/DR version- Weight is a very serious factor in what I'm willing to spend, but I also usually have to get some sort of additional value beyond the weight.
    Pretty much my view exactly. I've bought some stuff that was a bit heavier just for that reason.

Re the consumables argument, well it is undeniably linked to some gear decisions such as pack suspension and volume. A pack that will potentially (and comfortably) be carrying a BV-500 and 7 liters of water is going to be substantially different from one where the max consumables will be a simple food bag with 4-5 days of food and 2-3 liters of water. Of course there are those who are willing to accept some initial discomfort, knowing that it'll get better as consumables shrink.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-25-2017 at 20:30.

Journal Entries
    Images

At the point my kit is I have no desire to be lighter. I may upgrade my puffy at some point. My clothes are possible to shave a bit. I could lighten up a lot in the summer to. I have no idea how much I spent on a per oz basis. I'll look at my clothing at this point.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Universal truths are sometimes assumed. What are universal truths changes. Sometimes, so much "truths' later turn out to be folly.

There's a huge disconnect here in the posts. Saving weight backpacking does not have to cost ANY MONEY or PURCHASING ANYTHING despite our tendencies to incorrectly assume otherwise patterned by a culture that tells us money and shopping are always the solutions. Here, yet again in abundant evidence, we are habituated to saving hauled backpacking weight thinking only in terms of gear weight.

What does saving a ounce of weight cost? Knowledge and trail savvy wisdom! Saving an ounce of wt is as simple as not carrying a bag of M&M's, that unnecessary hauling of more H20 than needed - 2-3 capfuls, ending a hike with left over food or fuel, or taking an extra uneaten granola bar.

There is entirely too much focus on money and shopping for gear to lower wt hauled when the largest single category of any one item most carry on multi day hikes are consumables. Not sexy, exciting, or entertaining enough though compared to the incessant never ending chatter about saving the tiniest amount - one ounce - on gear wt though, hey?
    Yes, after going through replacing equipment with a lighter version, I then looked much more closely to how I could manage water better and lighten my food load.

I've taken the "tank up" philosophy, where I drink at least a liter of water in the morning, another liter two hours in at a stream crossing, and another liter mid-afternoon. I then only carry what I think I can get away with. Maybe 8 ounces.

I've also increased the frequency of mailing myself food, hopefully no more than 3 days worth. Dam the postage.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Is this the Dogwood Pseudo-Intellectual version of "I know you are but what am I?"?????
    You have increased your post count quite a bit as of late, but you are still no match for the mighty Dogwood. How 'bout you fellers kiss n' make up.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I don't think I'm the only person in this thread calling him out on his reply and his reply history....just sayin...

Is it OK for peeps to call him out when he does this(tilts the thread from the OP's question/topic to espouse on his personal "philosophy", or as you call it his "alternative viewpoint"), or am I relegated to the "waaah" button as my only reply/retort?

Not picking a fight, just wanting to know for future reference...
    For future reference, the link to the user agreement is in my signature. If for some reason that link is broken, which has happened, try this one. It can also be found under the Odds and Ends tab near the top of the forum.

Regarding your question,
    15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question.
    If you have any further questions send them by PM.

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Nothing political, philosophical, or religious was espoused by me. This is the UL Hiking forum. What I said I fully 100% stand by because it relates to UL hiking.

Some may not like open, honest, and direct speech when confronting or adding to the breadth of discussions when appropriate. Some may not have liked it because I took a different direction in responses. That's OK. This is after all largely an opinion based website and we're all, umm, adults. I haven't broken any User Agreements here that I know.

I welcome disagreements. I like being asked to support opinions...IF the one calling me out is willing to listen and consider more fully! That's how we can all learn...me included. Despite incorrect labels I've repeatedly stated that I'm fallible. I don't know everything. Have said that many times in humble statements like, "the more I know the more I realize how much I don't know." I make comments that include "this is what has worked for me", "this is what I've done", "for me...", "in different situations others successfully take other approaches", "never thought that..THX"...It should be clear that I consider other approaches or differing viewpoints and show gratitude for it. It should be clearly evident that I'm learning from others, letting others dictate to me, and responding to questions that call me out.

Perhaps, the number and length of posts I make offers the impression that I'm overbearing or more inclined to speak or, in this case, write. It's just the opposite. I read and spend much more time carefully considering. I'm here to share, discuss, have a civil give and take, and to have a conversation not impose my beliefs or views as an absolute authoritarian tyrant. Perhaps, to some extent, this is getting lost in this sharing medium?

However, I find it distasteful when comments are taken out of context with a narrowed focus on short out of context excerpts or the intent isn't understood because line of thought hasn't been considered because all the information hasn't been considered, offense is quickly taken, the defensive facade is erected, and spiteful arrogant intentionally aimed at being hurtful name calling ensues. And, I will sometimes call someone out when I believe incorrect assumptions are stated or labeled as "truth" or ask that conclusions be supported. Obviously, some don't like this.

Want to defend your statements then operate with some reasonable civility, some intelligence, and by responding in context AFTER FULLY considering what's being stated. Disagree fine but disagree agreeably. Influence that way rather than debasing oneself to name calling. If one has a disagreement, as said by the mod, PM me directly. I can act with consideration and a non hostile attitude. I'm humble enough to be able to admit when I got it wrong. However, I will not cower when I'm simply with civility offering my opinion that someone doesn't like.

The last thing we should be doing is talking at each other. It seems one or two want to have that type of situation. I will not engage in that. Seems that makes these people even more irate and offended.

There's always an Ignore button too.

Money and weight are a matter of perspective. Some are hikers who struggle to camp and others are campers who struggle hike. If that makes sense. I hate hiking so light weight is everything....to complete daily milage as fast as possible so i can camp. I have known others who hate setting up camp and taking down so hiking to them is every thing all the latest gear and cool gadgets for charging electronics. So it does matter what category you belong in as to much you'll spend. Food and clothing can shed more weight then survival gear.

Dogwood, instead of redirecting several threads in a different direction (which some refer to a thread hijacking), how about starting a new thread with the direction you want to go as the OP. There would be less strife created.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Dogwood, instead of redirecting several threads in a different direction (which some refer to a thread hijacking), how about starting a new thread with the direction you want to go as the OP. There would be less strife created.
    Amen! What a silly thread this has become, given the simple, easy, straight forward original post, and I agree with you 100% Scarebear. Hitting "ignore thread" right now....

My latest purchase was $8.88 for a Pocket Juice 4000mAh. It's just under 4 ounces. So I guess that works out to $2.22/oz. I did have to buy a double wall outlet to charge it and my phone at the same time so I gained back a small amount of weight over a single wall outlet but perhaps it's a wash since that means I don't have to carry two wall chargers.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

-

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    My latest purchase was $8.88 for a Pocket Juice 4000mAh. It's just under 4 ounces. So I guess that works out to $2.22/oz. I did have to buy a double wall outlet to charge it and my phone at the same time so I gained back a small amount of weight over a single wall outlet but perhaps it's a wash since that means I don't have to carry two wall chargers.
    there you go, throwing nickels around like sewer covers - IMO you should have to give up your forum name

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    there you go, throwing nickels around like sewer covers - IMO you should have to give up your forum name
    HA!
    You didn't see my previous purchase (also posted in this thread). You would totally want to revoke my forum name. On some forums I have actually been able to change my forum name to more accurately reflect my attitude. If anyone knows how to change my forum name without losing my "post history" I would appreciate knowing how to do it.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

While talking to a friend about my choice of 2 packs I was thinking about, the Osprey Volt vs the ULA Catalyst, I told her the Catalyst was a pound lighter and only $60 more. She was shocked that I would consider spending an extra $60 to save only one pound! LOL. I told her that people spend $50 to save an ounce - which is rough math if they go from a tarptent to a Zpacks tent.

First world problems. Been to a high end bicycle shop lately?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    First world problems. Been to a high end bicycle shop lately?
    No joke! #firstworldproblems

A few years ago, I dropped $3,000 on an "entry level" full carbon fiber road bike which weighed next to nothing. A year later, an acquaintance who live 30 miles away, was on a training ride and stopped by to show me his $25,000 road bike...not a typo. It was ridiculous to say the least but, he is a grown man and it's his money. I suspect that much like the people who have bought a Duplex tent, he would say his bike was money well spent.

Journal Entries

20+ yrs ago I questioned a friend about his $$$$ mountain bike. It was something like $6000 at time. He basically said...anything less and Ill break it. This is actually cheap.

He had a very expensive road bike too that was more

Leonidas

I'm aware this thread is older but since I posted in it before, I figured I would post again as my idea of what a lb/oz has changed over time. Currently planning on purchasing a slightly heavier pack than my current in the name of comfort and additional weight capacity. For the 2019 hiking season, I am planning on dropping $715 to drop a pound. The idea of $10 an ounce being what I would like to stick to is long gone...
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I don't play this game any longer, I hump the gear I have, which is still about 15lbs. lighter than my gear 30 year ago...bonus!

Images

Appreciate your break down. It brings our ever present desire to go lighter down to ratios. Thanks.
    $900 for a pound in savings? Ummmm....no thank you...

I have found that TEN bucks per ounce is what I am willing to pay for lighter weight....and that matches closely to real world products. Here are some concrete examples of TEN bucks per OUNCE....

Example 1- BA FlyCreekUL3 vs. ZPacks Triplex=I own the BA FCUL3 and love it. It comes in at 3.5 pounds or 56 ounces. The ZPacks Triplex is the lightest alternative I could find, at 24 ounces. The interior space is quite similar. The BA lists at $430, the Zpacks at $700. The difference in weight is 32 ounces. The difference in price is $270. The price per ounce saved would be $8.44...a screaming good value in lightening my load by 2 whole pounds....

Example 2- REI Flash 62 Backpack v. ZPacks ArcHaulGridStop(64L)= I own the old(2012) REI Flash 62, in a Large which makes it a 65L pack. It weighs in at 50 ounces. It retailed for $200. The ZPack ArcHaulGS is a 64L pack that weighs a mere 24 ounces and costs $300. The difference in weight is 26 ounces. The difference in price is $100. The price per ounce saved is $3.85...another screaming good value that would lighten my load by an entire pound and half.

Example 3-Montbell SS650FP#3 v. ZPacks Broad X-Long 30 Degree= I own the Montbell. It retails for $230 and weighs in at 34 ounces. The ZPacks sells for $415 and weighs in at...19.5 ounces. The difference in price is $185 and the difference in weight is 14.5 ounces. The price per ounce saved is $12.76.

It gets more expensive the smaller the incremental weight savings is. This comes into play in pads, where the lightest is $100 more but only 5 ounces lighter, for $20 bucks per ounce.

I shoot for $10 per ounce. YMMV....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++