Thread: Pants?

Default Pants?

Are pants even necessary? I know wind/rain pants are good against the weather, but I have worn exclusively shorts my entire life, so my legs stay warm no matter what. I'm planning on shipping some to Cali for the desert (poodle-dog, sun, sand), but for at least Washington and Oregon, are they necessary?

Check out the other thread, Shorts in the Desert, where people discuss reasons for wearing pants along different sections of the trail, not just the "desert".

Given your age, you aren't speaking with much authority saying you have hiked in shorts your entire life. I mostly hiked the PCT with long pants (Railriders EcoMesh Pants which has mesh down the length) and would again. Like you, I use to mostly hike in shorts when I was in my 20's. But I was only doing a few days at a time back then where I could be more selective in the conditions I hiked in. Since my 30's , for most long trails, I mostly hike in pants unless I'm hiking in warm shaded trail where the bugs aren't too bad.

You live in Washington, so you should have an idea what its like hiking in the higher elevations in the Cascades in September when most hikers are finishing. I beat a major storm into White Pass and waited it out for another day, but hikers behind me came looking like wet dogs, cold and soaked from the huge downpour. I hiked with snow flying with 6-8" of snow already on the ground when I reached Canada. Hike a couple of mornings in Washington in the low 20's with an additional wind chill. Had a 3 day storm in northern Oregon. If you don't mind mosquitoes further south (I like permithrin treated pants which works better than DEET), you should be fine in NorCal and most of Oregon. If you are fine hiking in shorts in all that, then I guess you will be fine? That said, rain pants may be enough for you if you aren't finishing towards the back of the pack.

That said, given the snow this year, I would not hike in the Sierra in shorts given all the post-holing you'll be doing unless you like ice cutting your legs up as they punch through the snow. Lightweight rain pants won't help as much there as they'll likely get torn unless they are heavy.

In high snow years I see everyone slide down the mountain on the snow instead of attempt to hike it. I think pants would help in that. And I've seen about every class year video and every single one has people caught in snow storms in Mt Laguna, Idylwild, Big Bear, WA, and OR (probably other places too). Snow storms, or even hail storms, in shorts is not recommended.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaallit View Post
    Are pants even necessary? I know wind/rain pants are good against the weather, but I have worn exclusively shorts my entire life, so my legs stay warm no matter what. I'm planning on shipping some to Cali for the desert (poodle-dog, sun, sand), but for at least Washington and Oregon, are they necessary?
    Do you have rain pants? If yes, I think your plan to ship the hiking pants home after the first 800-ish miles looks good.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Do you have rain pants? If yes, I think your plan to ship the hiking pants home after the first 800-ish miles looks good.
    Isn't that a little bit of a gamble though? I was just reading articles of several different people on different occasions having to be rescued by emergency personnel in the Grizzly Mountain area of OR due to exposure from storms. I have never hiked OR or WA but from my readings it seems that late summer/early fall snow/hail storms are not uncommon in the mountains.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    Isn't that a little bit of a gamble though? I was just reading articles of several different people on different occasions having to be rescued by emergency personnel in the Grizzly Mountain area of OR due to exposure from storms. I have never hiked OR or WA but from my readings it seems that late summer/early fall snow/hail storms are not uncommon in the mountains.
    I said if the OP has rain pants, then they could send their hiking pants home once they got farther North. The rain pants would then serve as a shell if they needed them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    base layer leggings + rain pants should be adequate

OP may want to consider convertible pants for shorts most of the time and zip on leggings when needed.

Can someone recommend a good rain pant? I have some older EMS ones, nice, lined with mesh, but they pack a little heavy. Anything that keeps you dry w/o making you sweat?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Can someone recommend a good rain pant? I have some older EMS ones, nice, lined with mesh, but they pack a little heavy. Anything that keeps you dry w/o making you sweat?
    I like the AntiGravityGear rain pants. 3.5 ounces in size medium. But you will sweat if it's warm...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I've heard good things about Frogg Toggs too. Very light and breathable, although not the most durable.

i wear frogg toggs and they are great, the price makes them disposable as well, ive had expensive rain pants + jacket before, but the price to utility of the toggs is unmatched

Ticks, poison oak, mosquitoes, snow, blowdowns - it is nice to have something to cover your legs from these. I wore convertibles and that was sufficient.

++ New Posts ++