WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike Partner Pearisburg to Daleville 4/8 To 4/15

I am looking for a section hiking partner for my trip through Pearisburg to Daleville April 8th through the 15th. I am planning on averaging 15 to 20 miles per day tops. I will be camping along the way.

I have stops planned to catch all the major sites along the way for McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragons Tooth and more.

Also open to any through hikers who might be in the area during that time frame ( even know i know that's tricky to plan and they may have a quicker pace them me by that Point)

If anyone is interested let me know and I can follow up with you and see if think we might click for a weeks worth of hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't find someone to go with, you will most probably have plenty of thru hikers to hang out with. Mapman's table for mean thru hiker location shows them getting to Damascus about april29th I believe. Which is further south then your starting point, 2 weeks prior to your arrival. That being said, still will be lots of people on the trail!
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 02-22-2017 at 16:14.
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

If you went in May, you would probably have plenty of people with which to hike. That's about when the bubble will make it to that area (probably more toward the middle of the month). I hiked from Springer to Erwin and then skipped to Damascus for Trail Days and there was a massive amount of hikers heading out after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If you don't find someone to go with, you will most probably have plenty of thru hikers to hang out with. Mapman's table for mean thru hiker location shows them getting to Damascus about april29th I believe. Which is further south then your starting point, 2 weeks prior to your arrival. That being said, still will be lots of people on the trail!
    My plan to go in early April is somewhat intentional to stay ahead of the bubble...but I did expect to run into some early departures along the way.

My trail partner had to back out...so I am punting to see if there are any potential candidates.

Perfectly content to go it solo...but just figured I would throw it out there.

Journal Entries

If in need of a shuttle(I'm out of pearisburg), feel free to call anytime@540-921-7433(RIDE)

Quote Originally Posted by ratfaceraines View Post
    If in need of a shuttle(I'm out of pearisburg), feel free to call anytime@540-921-7433(RIDE)
    I actually tentatively have a shuttle from Daleville lined up...but I will keep you in mind as a back up since that's Easter weekend. Thanks for reaching out.

Keep in mind that camping is only permitted at designated sites between Catawba and Troutville, which basically means you can't camp at McAfree Knob or at the Tinker Cliffs. It's not clear from your post if that was your intent or not.

Otherwise, there are a number of tent sites scattered along the ridge from Pearisburg to Catawba, some good, some bad. Also, that section of trail is very poorly maintained (or at least it was 2 years ago when I was last there) and heavily overgrown. Finding spots to camp outside of shelter areas maybe difficult, even when the book says their there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was planning on sticking to the campsites noted in the AT guides...or shelters. I appreciate the heads up on the conditions of the sites you never know unless you get some Intel from folks who have already been through.

You will run into some early thru hikers and section hikers during that time. I did a section north out of Pearisburg last year leaving on April 11th. I did hike with a few thru hikers and section hikers during that time. I will be out the same week as you this year doing a section Atkins to Pearisburg. Have a good hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ponderer View Post
    You will run into some early thru hikers and section hikers during that time. I did a section north out of Pearisburg last year leaving on April 11th. I did hike with a few thru hikers and section hikers during that time. I will be out the same week as you this year doing a section Atkins to Pearisburg. Have a good hike.
    Thanks for the info... How was the weather for your that week...hi n lows? This year already seems little warmer then last here in NC so I am expecting milder to warmer temps.

When I was leaving Pearisburg in the morning, there was light snow covering the mountains. There was a brief snowstorm the day before I arrived. It was pretty cold on the ridgeline with a icy breeze. I put on my rain jacket for the ridgeline between Rice Field Shelter until dropping down off the ridge down to Pine Swamp Branch Shelter. We had a small fire the first night which was nice to take chill off.
    The rest of the days were nice hiking in LS lightweight baselayer (Patagonia Capilene) and a polyester shirt underneath. I usually took baselayer off quickly in the morning once the temperature or my temperature from hiking warmed up. Nights were cool and good sleeping weather. I would guess highs normally were in the 60 -70 range with lows around 40 except for the first day and night.
    This winter has been very mild so far. It makes me a little concerned what this Spring and Summer are going to be like and how the springs are going to be flowing.

++ New Posts ++