WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yep - I was thinking about winter trips and/or family camping when everybody wants to set up camp much sooner than I'd normally be ready for.

I am surprised that the Big Agnes Mtnglo system didn't come up in this thread. I haven't seen one in action, but some reviews say that they are too dim to read by.

Hitch
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Maybe that's why it hasn't come up... Seen anything good about it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

On my last trip I tried a cheap battery powered LED tea candle for a tent light. It was just enough light to use in the tent for finding things and have a gentle background light while Kindle reading or watching a movie on the phone. Small, weighs next to nothing and super cheap. YMMV. I tried the light because the trip before I brought my Uni candle lantern and we found it was too bright just to sit about and talk near it.
    AU0031~12-LED-Battery-Powered-Tea-Lights_P1.jpg

I have one of these Krill lights which would work for tent lighting. The are an electroluminescent glow stick. Mine runs on a single AA battery. They work on the same principle as a Timex Indiglo watch, except the luminescent film is rolled into a cylinder giving 360 deg of lighting. The battery goes inside the cylinder. The transparent tube is very tough and waterproof. Twist the cap to turn on and off. It doesn't give a lot of light, but in a small tent when your eyes are dark adapted, it looks pretty bright.

http://www.kriana.com/aa-krill-lights

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    Looking at the option for a hanging light of some sort for the tent. Small, lightweight, easy on the eyes, and disperses a decent amount of might so I can do some writing and looking around. I'll have a headlamp with me, but want this option as well so I'm not relying on the headlamp as much.

Any suggestions? My searches come up with your standard bulky lanterns. not at all what in looking for.

you don't say what you'll be using it for. are you hiking? big miles or just shelter to shelter? are you mostly camping?

the Orbit is good for camping but heavy if you're cutting big miles. Luci is popular but again, not light.

Nite Ize makes the tiny Moonlit Micro Lantern with built in carabiner. it won't light a whole campsite but is plenty for a tent. it swivels, comes in red or white, water resistant, has glow or flash modes, runs for 60 hours, and only weighs 19 grams...

$10.
    MLTML_Feature_00_l-120x120.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    you don't say what you'll be using it for. are you hiking? big miles or just shelter to shelter? are you mostly camping?
    You just quoted it... "Hanging light for the tent", "writing and looking around"... Come on.

Anyway, I've already found exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the suggestions. So many options, but I think a lot of them are too small, dim, etc. For what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    Maybe that's why it hasn't come up... Seen anything good about it?

Sure most of the reviews are pretty positive. It doesn't seem practical to me though.
    I prefer to have a light that can be used in multiple applications.
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Now that I think about it.....its very rare that I use any light in my shelter as my arse is usually beat and ready to sleep! If I read it's on my iPhone so a light isn't needed...I do turn on the photon hanging inside if I leave the tent after dark.....sure makes it easier to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the 180 bright green one with 2AA...it's an interesting light that I like a lot despite it being heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have one of these Krill lights which would work for tent lighting. The are an electroluminescent glow stick. Mine runs on a single AA battery. They work on the same principle as a Timex Indiglo watch, except the luminescent film is rolled into a cylinder giving 360 deg of lighting. The battery goes inside the cylinder. The transparent tube is very tough and waterproof. Twist the cap to turn on and off. It doesn't give a lot of light, but in a small tent when your eyes are dark adapted, it looks pretty bright.

http://www.kriana.com/aa-krill-lights
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I love the Luci Light. I carried it when I backpacked last spring. It was great in the morning when I was up before light and I could hang it on a branch and have breakfast, brush teeth, etc. Then in the evening to sit in my tent and journal. I would strap it on top of the pack to recharge during the day. I have a cabin that is off grid and use them a lot. A fully charged Luci light will stay lit almost 12 hours. I have left it on overnight several times in the cabin to act as a nightlight.

I laid eyes on the Luci today at the local outfitter. Very lightweight and it appears that the newer frosted version would perform well. Two concerns I would have is:
    1)would it charge on the trail? It said 8 hours charge time for 7 hours run time. Maybe topping it off every day would not be a problem.
    2)the plastic strap would worry me about breaking or coming unsnapped while hiking with it tethered tot he top of the pack

Neither of these concerns can be validated and for the money ($15-25), I think they would be worth trying out.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicchicken View Post
    Or something like the Luci.

https://mpowerd.com/products/luci-outdoor-2-0

Three brightness settings and has a built in solar panel for recharging.

I can second the Luci Light. I have one and it works pretty well. Saves a lot of headlamp battery if you read inside your tent at night.

Quote Originally Posted by TN James View Post
    I can second the Luci Light. I have one and it works pretty well. Saves a lot of headlamp battery if you read inside your tent at night.
    Also, mine comes in at 4.4 ounces on my scale.

Here is a solution to mood lighting your tent. Just go get a LED USB cable. That way, when you plug your phone into your battery to charge at night, you get a glowing tent to go with it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2320923...&ul_noapp=true

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TN James View Post
    Also, mine comes in at 4.4 ounces on my scale.
    The
    Luci outputs a lot of light, but at 4.4oz it's a bit heavy. I use a Lumintop AAA flashlight and hang it from the tent with a small bit of 1.8mm line.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Consider the Sierra Designs Night Glow. It weighs .71 ounces and cost $15. It's essentially a diffuser when you put your headlamp in. It came with my new Clip Flashlight and I'll admit, while gimmicky at first, it does a pretty decent job of diffusing the light and filling the tent. I now keep it separate and take it with every tent I use.
    https://sierradesigns.com/night-glow-accessory/
    Last edited by capehiker; 03-01-2017 at 19:28.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Consider the Sierra Designs Night Glow. It weighs .71 ounces and cost $15. It's essentially a diffuser when you put your headlamp in. It came with my new Clip Flashlight and I'll admit, while gimmicky at first, it does a pretty decent job of diffusing the light and filling the tent. I now keep it separate and take it with every tent I use.
    https://sierradesigns.com/night-glow-accessory/
    Interesting.....I'll try my lil Cuban zip pouch from MLD as a diffuser for zebra light or photon..already has a beener on one end to hang..thx

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Interesting.....I'll try my lil Cuban zip pouch from MLD as a diffuser for zebra light or photon..already has a beener on one end to hang..thx

wow, you got a zip pouch from Cuba?..

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I don't get it. Why would you need/want this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Same reason fireflies light up?
    I didn't know you could attract a mate with an LED lantern.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++