WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Lantern/dome light for tent?

Looking at the option for a hanging light of some sort for the tent. Small, lightweight, easy on the eyes, and disperses a decent amount of might so I can do some writing and looking around. I'll have a headlamp with me, but want this option as well so I'm not relying on the headlamp as much.

Any suggestions? My searches come up with your standard bulky lanterns. not at all what in looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Have you tried hanging the headlamp in the tent? If there's any sort of gear loop at the top, it's usually easy to loop the headlamp through that and itself to suspend it over you.

Main reason I'm looking for a separate light source is so I don't have such a direct beam. And to find something with a softer light, even if its still LEDs, but covered with a soft white plastic to disperse the light. Plus, with a second light source. I could use each one at separate times, for separate activities and they'd last longer.

Images

Black Diamond Orbit. Dimmable. LED lantern and flashlight. 2.9 oz plus 4 AAA batteries (1.6 oz). On sale at $15 at Pike to Peak w/$35 order. I've seen it on sale other places as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

A friend gave me a small (probably 3 inches) flashlight lantern combo that has a leash to attach it. I now use it for my tent light on the lantern setting,ie with the base pulled out, for that same reason. I'll post name after work but it is an amazing little light.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Black Diamond Orbit. Dimmable. LED lantern and flashlight. 2.9 oz plus 4 AAA batteries (1.6 oz). On sale at $15 at Pike to Peak w/$35 order. I've seen it on sale other places as well.
    Looks great! I've seen a couple reviews about short battery life, which is quite the buzzkill. But I may still buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    A friend gave me a small (probably 3 inches) flashlight lantern combo that has a leash to attach it. I now use it for my tent light on the lantern setting,ie with the base pulled out, for that same reason. I'll post name after work but it is an amazing little light.
    Wonder if it's the same one posted by 4eyedbuzzard... I'm interested to see. Thanks!

Search "USB Rechargeable Lantern", on Amazon.

There are many types that charge thru USB and they can also be used as a powerbank.

Hitch

What about the Black Diamond Moji? Anyone have experience with that? Smaller than the Orbit and you forfeit the "flashlight" feature.

Or something like the Luci.

https://mpowerd.com/products/luci-outdoor-2-0

Three brightness settings and has a built in solar panel for recharging.

Images

We sure like these Luci lanterns, and even at a relatively heavy 4.4 ounces, we have actually carried one on some of our "darker" BP trips (fall and winter, short daylight hours, lots of hours in dark in tent).

I'm leaning toward this one. The hand crank seems worth it. Very small, lantern and light feature, dimmable, super cheap...

ThorFire LED Camping Lantern Hand Crank USB Rechargeable Lantern Mini Flashlight Emergency Torch Light Tent Lamp CL01 for Camping Hiking Jogging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIL1DFO..._umgSybX1PRSZG

I like my LuminAID when I go with family.
    Don't bother when solo.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    I'm leaning toward this one. The hand crank seems worth it. Very small, lantern and light feature, dimmable, super cheap...

ThorFire LED Camping Lantern Hand Crank USB Rechargeable Lantern Mini Flashlight Emergency Torch Light Tent Lamp CL01 for Camping Hiking Jogging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIL1DFO..._umgSybX1PRSZG

Ok... I just saw a video of someone charging their phone with the hand crank not that I'd do that cuz I'll have an Anker power bank, but that's awesome!

LRI photon works good and has clip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Luci lantern solar powered lasts pretty well.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I like my LuminAID when I go with family.
    Don't bother when solo.
    We also have a LuminAID. Haven't used it on trail yet. For $14.99, I think it's a pretty cool accessory. Inflatable with just one decent-sized breath. Easily deflates. Waterproof, compact. Light quality is soft, would do very well as tent light.

The PackLite Nova is the next generation of LuminAID’s award-winning PackLite 12 collapsible solar lantern. It weighs 5 oz, and is 4.75” wide x 4.75” high. It offers 75 Lumens on its highest setting and provides 24 hours of LED light on a single charge. The PackLite Nova charges in 10 hours of sunlight and requires no additional batteries. The PackLite Nova has a 4-level charge indicator and adjustable strap for hanging. Given its high performance but compact size, the PackLite Nova makes an ideal light for just about anywhere including the campsite, backyard and emergency kits.
    https://luminaid.com/products/packlite-nova

I have tried the headlamp hanging on the top loop of my tent. I have tried to prop it up and aim it at a wall. No way I have tried has been efficient/effective at all. I recently bought the Black Diamond brand. They had the green color trim on sale for $12 versus $20 for black. I didn't care about the color. I absolutely love it. While I am not sure I would carry it on a long backpacking trip, it is one of my best purchase recently. It puts of the best type of light and is soft illumination inside the tent. As mentioned, it is dimmable but that is not a feature that excites me.
    So, as for a long trek ont he AT, the one I bought may be a little too heavy (3 or 4 AAA) but for short term camping, car camping, etc. It is phenomenal compared to trying to make a head lamp or flashlight work.

This is the model I bought. (Mojo) 3 oz plus batteries. (3 AAA)

The ThorFire has been ordered, and boy am I excited! Silly to be over a lantern I suppose, lol.

I carry a 4ft strip of battery powered Christmas lights. Works great for general camp or tent illumination, and very cheap if you shop after Christmas.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++