WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Will my feet get bigger?

I've read that my feet will get bigger as I progress in my AT thru hike in 2018. I currently am working a job which has me on my feet all day and I walk 8-10 miles per day doing my job. That being said, do you think my feet will still increase in size on my hike, or do you think my feet are going to stay the same size. I've been working at my job for almost 30 years and my feet are the same size as they were from the day I started. I'm asking because I'm going to probably need a few pair of shoes to complete the trail and wanted to purchase them and break them in before I start my hike and I want to buy the correct size I'm going to need.

Images

But do you carry 30 lbs on your back all day long? It's a lot like being pregnant, usually your feet grow because you're carrying around so much extra weight putting pressure on your feet. Yours may very well grow a size.

So, you think buying one size bigger than what I'm currently wearing is what I should be buying?

Walking with weight will increase the size as will the higher altitude

Google: The symptoms of altitude sickness generally appear within hours of moving to higher altitudes. They vary depending on the severity of your condition. If you have a mild case, you may experience:
    • dizziness
    • headache
    • muscle aches
    • insomnia
    • nausea and vomiting
    • irritability
    • loss of appetite
    • swelling of the hands, feet, and face
    • rapid heartbeat
    • shortness of breath with physical exertion

Quote Originally Posted by Kscohug View Post
    I've read that my feet will get bigger as I progress in my AT thru hike in 2018. I currently am working a job which has me on my feet all day and I walk 8-10 miles per day doing my job. That being said, do you think my feet will still increase in size on my hike, or do you think my feet are going to stay the same size. I've been working at my job for almost 30 years and my feet are the same size as they were from the day I started. I'm asking because I'm going to probably need a few pair of shoes to complete the trail and wanted to purchase them and break them in before I start my hike and I want to buy the correct size I'm going to need.
    You're going to need 3-5 pair of shoes depending on how many it takes to find the right shoe for your feet and the durability of the shoes that work well for you.
    Unwritten Rule of Shoes: As soon as you find the right shoe it will be discontinued.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Google: The symptoms of altitude sickness generally appear within hours of moving to higher altitudes. They vary depending on the severity of your condition. If you have a mild case, you may experience:
    • dizziness
    • headache
    • muscle aches
    • insomnia
    • nausea and vomiting
    • irritability
    • loss of appetite
    • rapid heartbeat
    Good luck getting altitude sickness along the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Swelling has little to do with altitude sickness. It can happen to anyone. For many reasons beyond any understanding. This is a contusion after a simple fall forward.

500030d1259171042-deep-thigh-bruise-ouch-15937_166103911932_566276932_3308036_8179521_n.jpg

So folks. depending on your general health swelling can hit your feet....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Mine didn't.

Another thing to consider is that walking downhill plays hell on toenails. I lost both big toe toenail. Longer shoes might have helped.

Journal Entries

Mine did, annoying to come home to no shoes that fit except for the ones I summited Katahdin with. It is just not the weight but thru hikers move fast, passing fit day hikers and leaving them in the dust, carrying their full packs. I know I frequently held a 4 mph pace for hours on certain days. That extra speed comes with much more pounding than your feet ever knew.

If I had to do it over again, I would get a good pair of supportive innersoles and resupplied them along the trail. IDK if that would help, but it could help maintain the arch and the tendons that run through it.

Images

My feet went from a 10.5w to a 11m and never went back I needed new shoes, boots, sneaks and had to get new orthonicsmade too boot.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

i've done the AT 2 thrus and a 0.7 thru. also did the pct.

before : size 10.5-11

now : 12

So, you think buying one size bigger than what I'm currently wearing is what I should be buying?
    Yes, 1/2 to 1 size longer and one size wider especially as you get further into the warmer months. Make up/change the room inside if need be with thicker/thinner socks and different volume after market footbeds. I was in your situation on my feet all day walking miles each day on job sites as in the field architect. First 2000+ mile multi-month hike feet grew 1/2 size larger and 1 size wider in the forefoot. After other 2000+ hikes feet have stopped growing adding two full lengths from 12 to 14 but they still keep getting wider/splaying. Many folks are already wearing too tight footwear as a habit. On trail on LD hikes these problems exacerbate.

Thank you Altra and Keen.

Journal Entries

Dont even need to worry about growing yet you youll replace several times
    But they will swell when you hike all day every day
    Which is why at least 1/2 size up and roomy toebox, no matter what

I think mens feet get bigger with age though anyway

Activities like running , weightlifting, help them along
    My brothers feet went up about 9-10.5 from 20-50, he just runs.
    Mine went 9.5-12 over same time, running, weightlifting, hiking
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-25-2017 at 04:16.

Over the course of 10 years of serious sectioning My feet got wider from 13 EE to 13 EEEE. Many folks end up going up one size to get more width.

Don't buy them all in advance would be my suggestion. Not worth the savings if you're not too sure on size fluctuation. You might change your mind about about type of shoe as well
    You'll break them in quickly!

Well. You will need to buy new shoes several times so you can adjust from time to time.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If you find a shoe type you like I suggest leaving the label off the box with someone who can buy and ship shoes to you. I replaced shoes every 500 miles and although my size didn't change it would have been easy to request the next pair to be a half size bigger.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    • dizziness
    • headache
    • muscle aches
    • insomnia
    • nausea and vomiting
    • irritability
    • loss of appetite
    • rapid heartbeat
    I don't think that the elevations on the Appalachian Trail are high enough to give somebody altitude sickness. Not sure, but pretty sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++