WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Looking for shuttle from Blacksburg VA to Roan Mountain, TN on May 13th or 14th

I'm doing a 9 day section hike into Trail Days this year, with some weird logistics. My work has me scheduled to attend a conference in Blacksburg, VA on May 23, so I'm going to drive there and find a place to stash my car. I need a shuttle from Blacksburg to the vicinity of Roan Mountain, TN on May 13th or 14th. Does anyone know if Mt. Rogers Outfitters or Gypsy Dave will shuttle that far (down to Roan Mountain)? I may need another short shuttle the final few miles into Blacksburg, VA after I get off the trail on May 22nd. I'm keeping my mileage light to enjoy the experience, and shouldn't have any trouble getting into Trail Days for at least one full day of festivities, and part of another, but I'd really like to get the logistics hammered out well before I gas up for the trek from Indiana. Any help is appreciated. I'm stoked about getting back on the trail, even if it isn't a thru-hike yet.

Journal Entries

I can do it, I'm out of pearisburg(24 miles from blacksburg). My rate is$1.50 per mile(one way).

I think he was looking for someone to do him a solid or at least not charge him taxi prices... I would do it but I'll be there in trail days with you and once it's over I'll be shuttling back to where I was (for cheap if not free) with a fellow hiker. Have you looked into Greyhound at all? I have several friends in the area (hikers) that I'll ask as well that will do it if you buy them lunch I just have to find one that's not busy
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you in mind; I know that section of the trail is going to be pretty full, but that is what I want this time. It'll be my longest hike, my first Trail Days, and getting what I called "the logistics piece" solved will give me more time on the trail. I don't mind paying for the shuttle, lots of folks supplement their income that way around the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by ratfaceraines View Post
    I can do it, I'm out of pearisburg(24 miles from blacksburg). My rate is$1.50 per mile(one way).

Journal Entries
    Images

As long as I get from point A to point B quickly and don't have to worry about my car (another piece that needs solved), I don't mind paying, but free is always good! I'll look into Greyhound and keep my eyes peeled for more replies. I know the area is going to be busy and the trail crowded with thru-hikers, section hikers, partiers, trail angels, and every stripe of hiker trash imaginable, and I can't wait to be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    I think he was looking for someone to do him a solid or at least not charge him taxi prices... I would do it but I'll be there in trail days with you and once it's over I'll be shuttling back to where I was (for cheap if not free) with a fellow hiker. Have you looked into Greyhound at all? I have several friends in the area (hikers) that I'll ask as well that will do it if you buy them lunch I just have to find one that's not busy

Consider leaving your car in Pearisburg which would have the advantage of just walking over to it from the trail once you reach Pearisburg. You might check with the church hostel to see if they would allow you to leave it in their parking lot.

Another idea would be to leave it at Woods Hole Hostel.
    Trillium

++ New Posts ++