WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I wish they would make a french press screen that fit my Snowpeak Titanium Mini Solo pot. It would be nice to have real coffee without carrying a whole separate apparatus. For the record, I like to mix my instant coffee of any brand with a hot chocolate packet for extra calories.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's what they do with yogurt coated raisins. Seems like they also put a lot of sugar in it, however.
    [/COLOR]
    I wonder if your example is equivalent to saying that chocolate flavored dip that solidifies on dipped ice cream cones qualifies as chocolate? I wonder if saying yogurt covered raisins is more processed food industry candy marketing hype than anything else? Seems like one is losing the possible beneficial character of yogurt with "yogurt tasting" raisins or a coating that contains yogurt as an ingredient in "yogurt" covered raisins. More mumbo jumbo from the food science techs?

Yogurt-coated fruit sounds like a double-dosage health food. But don’t be fooled—a shell of “yogurt” contains some very un-yogurtlike things, according to all five of our experts.
    “ While these coatings may be called 'yogurt,' they are really a kind of 'frosting' of which yogurt is an ingredient,” says David Katz, MD, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center. The real stars of yogurt coatings are sugar—and not the kind that naturally occurs in dairy foods—and oil. “Having the name 'yogurt' in the mix is supposed to make it all okay,” Katz says. “It does not.”
    In fact, the stuff that makes up yogurt coating—typically sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, yogurt powder, emulsifiers and salt—is a far cry from its namesake. “ One should definitely not think about these as a health food,” says Mario Kratz, PhD, a dairy researcher and nutrition scientist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. “I’d place most of these snacks in the same category as candy bars.”

http://time.com/3945988/yogurt-covered-raisins/

What was being done on the thru-eat site is quite different. They were dehydrating actual Greek Yogurt into flakes or shards.

Journal Entries

One of the things I like about working in middle east is the fresh yogurt at breakfast. Not the jello like sweetened packaged crap westerners eat. Very liquid, from a big bowl, ladle over some cut up fruit and enjoy. If only they would serve bacon...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-27-2017 at 22:30.

Lamb sausages are a good brekkie replacement for bacon in the Middle East....

Shakshuka and merguez.......just sayin....

BTW, I truly despise yogurt...one of those things from my youth....that and...lima beans...two things I will never eat again...and pickled fish....never again....just sayin....

Journal Entries

Tasters choice columbian, has to be their columbian.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Coffee is soooooooo subjective, but perhaps those Starbuks haters out there will at least acknowledge that there are many folks who really love the stuff,
    I don't simply acknowledge it, the fact that Starbucks is so popular is largely the reason that I trash it in the first place. If they were the little guy on the block I certainly wouldn't be on the internet making fun of them, I don't even think they're coffee is all that bad. It's only because they seem be taking over in my area and pushing coffees I preferred out of places like my work cafeteria that I tend to be overly judgmental of their coffee's...um...depth of character.

Starbucks Roast.JPG

Purely subjective!
    And in good fun!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I just ordered (not available locally) some of the Mt Hagen instant to try. Pretty happy with Cafe Bustelo instant but I'm such a coffee addict that I will drink just about any brand of instant coffee in the morning.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-28-2017 at 09:35.

Last time I had Bustelo.....yeah...glad folks like it...me, not so much...

Years ago I switched to tea(Earl Grey) for LDH. But, I am interested in instant coffee for cold coffee on the trail during the day, so it looks like VIA make get a tryout...

I just ordered (not available locally) some of the Mt Hagen instant to try. Pretty happy with Cafe Bustelo instant but I'm such a coffee addict that I will drink just about any brand of instant coffee in the morning.
    I like bustelo and via but MT Hagen is better and cheaper @ $.25 per pack...i buy them often on amazon. They are a little weaker so I usually add 3 packs per 2 packs of carnation IB and nido per 25-30oz of water....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mount Hagen Organic Instant Regular Coffee, 25-Count Single Serve packets (Pack of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NN531Y..._tE8916jFx7TmB

Actually $25 not sure why price is different as just ordered last week.

Mount Hagen? Isn't that in NJ? So WD 40, Aquafina, that cheap Picante Sauce that PACE Picante Sauce has ragged on, and now coffee is packaged in NJ/NY?

Here's how cheap coffee, just coffee, the roasted beans, really are ...even some of the "gourmet" beans being grown and shipped 1000's of mile away(Sumatra, Ethiopia, Java, etc). The cup, lid, and stirring straw/spoon often cost more than the roasted coffee beans. Cheap coffee is, well, cheap. What is often put into coffee, the sugar, milk(foamed or otherwise - soy), sugary flavorings, H&H, even though these are often sourced only a few 100 miles away from where the hot Joe is being served, cost more than the coffee being grown 1000's of miles away and shipped. The true cost of dairy is even higher because from bottom up to table the dairy industry is heavily subsidized. Organic or smaller harvested crops and private labeling all add to the increase in cost of just the the roasted beans. Roasting in itself adds to the cost from the green and red cherry. It's no wonder every Tom, Dick, and Harry has entered into the coffee biz in the U.S. I'm part of the Kona Coffee Farmers Association.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Agree ! At home drink double expressos. Cowboy does it good on trail. Grind beans just before.

I drink mine black and I really ain't too picky about it as long as it's strong and isn't burned. I use three heaping tablespoons of Bustelo for a 16 oz cup in the morning.

My wife loads hers up with so much milk and flavored syrup "shots" that the coffee hardly matters.

I drink mine black and I really ain't too picky about it as long as it's strong and isn't burned. I use three heaping tablespoons of Bustelo for a 16 oz cup in the morning.

My wife loads hers up with so much milk and flavored syrup "shots" that the coffee hardly matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-1dUbBjgE Quentin Tarantino makes that gourmet shart.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I wish they would make a french press screen that fit my Snowpeak Titanium Mini Solo pot. It would be nice to have real coffee without carrying a whole separate apparatus. For the record, I like to mix my instant coffee of any brand with a hot chocolate packet for extra calories.
    they do. the Jetboil french press fits your 28oz pot...

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    me on the other hand....almost every instant variety I have tried I like better than via. Camping the other weekend with a some friends who were drinking just plain old nescafe. Pretty sure I'd rate it above via.
    it's such a personal taste thing I guess...

Maybe I'm weird, cause I don't really care for starbucks brewed stuff either..... it's ok, but not my favorite. I'm talking regular brew from the shop, or even their retail stuff. I find it bitter, but I like their expresso stuff just fine.

I have some stuff now I had read about so ordered to give a try.... form Korea....maxim. It has the creamer and sugar already mixed in, very good flavor but I find the variety I bought (gold I think it is) is way too sweet and a little weak. I learned that you can pinch the bottom of the "tube" and catch the bulk of the sugar before it pours (sugar settles to the bottom)
    I really like Starbucks once in a while but when I have tried the VIA I was NOT impressed.

I have bought tea bags for making my own tea bag coffee. I'm going to try it out at home first but if it doesn't work out I will just have to go without.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    One of the things I like about working in middle east is the fresh yogurt at breakfast. Not the jello like sweetened packaged crap westerners eat. Very liquid, from a big bowl, ladle over some cut up fruit and enjoy. If only they would serve bacon...
    +1 to this. Stonyfield Plain Whole Milk Organic Yogurt is the closest I have found to the great yogurt I get overseas. The last time I was in Istanbul (not technically Middle East, but close enough), our hotel breakfast buffet had this huge tub of plain yogurt with and entire table of every topping imaginable (fruit, nuts, etc...). They even had a 1 foot square slab of honeycomb with honey dripping out of it. Then there is the coffee and baklava. Most baklava we get here just can't compare. But the best are the pomegranates (Nar) which you see everywhere. My go-to breakfast is the Stonyfield Yogurt with a hand-full each of granola and pomegranate. Unfortunately I can only get pomegranates in season (fall). I'm not sure why our local grocery store can get all sorts of bizarre exotic fruits that no one has ever heard of, but they can't get a pomegranate in April. They can get them in Istanbul.

honey.jpgbaklava.jpgnar.jpg

Wow. So that's what they serve in Istanbul for b-fast.

In countries such as the U.S. with an on the go culture "if anything is worth doing it's worth doing fast" fruits that take more than 3 seconds to prepare to eat or that aren't uniformly perfect looking or uniform in size, which we've been habituated to, tend not to be eaten or consumed in their natural states as often as their "easier" fruit counterparts. Whole coconuts, mango, artichokes, persimmons, ripe bananas with sugar spots, whole pineapples, large jackfruit, lychees, longans, etc. Usually whole coconuts, jackfruit, pineapple, etc are prepared by someone else sold expensively to tourons. Even whole cantaloupe or watermelon can be seen as too messy or cumbersome so we opt for prepackaged already chunked up less fresh versions. Juices have sometimes been preferred for their ease over whole fruit for this reason but these concentrated juices also cut out the fiber and concentrate the sugar. HMM? It's also one reason why we opt for spoons and forks over chopsticks because we can shovel the food in faster. Easier pace of life in the Mediterranean than big cities in China, Japan, or the U.S. It trickles down to culinary habits.

In Cali, the produce capital of the U.S., especially at Farmer's Markets but also in grocery stores, you'll see more whole pomegranates since that's where most are grown in the U.S. I see them for about 3-4 months at Farmers Markets in Hawaii where they are also locally grown.

Images

I don't use instant on trail- I make regular coffee and carry coffee grounds.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++