WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wild dogs

Default Wild dogs

Following the exploits of Kiwi Wandering on youtube, and he's mentioned several encounters with wild dogs (or possibly coyotes) on the southern section of the trail. He actually had one come right up to the tent in the middle of the night and just start barking at him for a 1/2 hour or so. He decided to stay in the tent and not confront the animal. Just wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences, or had any problems with this.

I had three big dogs who won't let me pass leaving the RPH shelter in NY once, but they eventually ran off and down the road and I figure they were local dogs from a farm down the street.

On occasion a local dog will show up at a shelter and hang around for a while. Encountering lost or abandoned dogs also happens once in a while.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Leonidas

Last July we had what sounded like a large pack of coyotes near Whitley Gap Shelter, they were gathered around the water source until a driving rain kicked back up. They dispersed shortly thereafter.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Heard a lot of howling and had what sounded just like my dog sniffing the outside of my tent one night, don't remember where exactly. Didn't think anything of it except the "man I hope this isn't a bear" thought! Tracks all over confirmed in the morning it was a dog of some sort. Last hike within the 1st 60 miles of the southern end, the guy next to me took a pic in the middle of the night and saw a huge white coyote walked right past his hammock. Almost a full moon and was just light enough he could grab a quick pic of it without the flash as to not startle it.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Last July we had what sounded like a large pack of coyotes near Whitley Gap Shelter, they were gathered around the water source until a driving rain kicked back up. They dispersed shortly thereafter.
    Keep in mind that when coyotes call or yodel, they modulate the pitch of their voices in a way that makes it sound as though there are many more animals than there really are. Coyotes usually gather in groups of 2-4, however when they start calling it can sound like there is a much larger group.

I learned that from one of the zoo keepers while walking the A.T. through bear mountain zoo. She was in front of the coyote enclosure and we struck up a conversation, when I mentioned that I had heard a large pack of at least a dozen coyotes howling on trail, her response was a polite version of "no you didn't you probably heard two of them."
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I heard coyotes a few times, mostly down south.

Saw one Walker hound who was picked up by some SOBOs. It walked right out of the woods, emaciated like you wouldn't believe, lost and "wild". They were taking it to the next town to a vet and maybe an owner. Very friendly, very sweet dog. I always wonder how THAT one turned out.

Had 3 Walker hounds come up behind me around Moxie Bald Mt. Had colorful GPS looking collars, so they obviously weren't "wild". 2 began barking and snarling, so I took a defensive stance and started yelling back. They turned around and ran back south. About 1 hour later, they came loping past, quiet this time. I called and one came over for attention, then ran off as well.

It was neat tracking them for a few miles, then they disappeared off the Trail.

All the other "wild" dog encounters occurred with an owner right there as their dog came up to attack me.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Keep in mind that when coyotes call or yodel, they modulate the pitch of their voices in a way that makes it sound as though there are many more animals than there really are. Coyotes usually gather in groups of 2-4, however when they start calling it can sound like there is a much larger group.

I learned that from one of the zoo keepers while walking the A.T. through bear mountain zoo. She was in front of the coyote enclosure and we struck up a conversation, when I mentioned that I had heard a large pack of at least a dozen coyotes howling on trail, her response was a polite version of "no you didn't you probably heard two of them."
    Thanks for the info! Needless to say, I didn't sleep well until they ran off.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

YUP.

Engaging in outdoor activities NEVER had ONE SINGLE issue with coyotes anywhere including areas where many more coyotes range than anywhere on the AT. I can't say that about "pet" supposedly "he's/she's always friendly" dogs!
    Last edited by Alligator; 02-27-2017 at 23:11. Reason: Not trail related info.

Coyotes are running wild in Georgia. I live in Atlanta and nearly every outdoor cat and a few small dogs that used to live on my street have been attacked and eaten by the coyotes. I had a group surround me while camping in my backyard a few years ago. They stayed on the other side of the fence but were running in circles around me howling like crazy. That is actually the worst encounter with animals I have ever experienced and it was in my backyard! Go figure.

Georgia even went so far as to establish a bounty on coyotes. It is called the Georgia Coyote Challenge.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/hunti...oyoteChallenge

Since coyotes aren't native to Georgia, they can now be shot without limit 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

That said, I have never had a problem with coyotes while camping out in the woods. The further away from people you are, the wilder the animals become and the more they try to avoid you.

I hear coyotes less and less while out in the woods. I used to hear them nearly every time I went camping.

I was hiking and camping last weekend on Mount Oglethorpe, the mountain that used to be the start of the AT before it was moved to Springer.

There was a pack of coyotes just up the hill howling away. I started howling back at them and they took off. I guess they thought I might be trying to lure them in to shoot them (even though I never carry a firearm.)

I do carry a couple of cherry bomb firecrackers and pepper spray just in case an animal gets too close. I have never used the pepper spray but use the cherry bombs quite often. A great way to get rid of late night visitors.

Bottom line - Don't worry about the coyotes. They are much more afraid of you then you should be of them.

Carl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
    Following the exploits of Kiwi Wandering on youtube, and he's mentioned several encounters with wild dogs (or possibly coyotes) on the southern section of the trail. He actually had one come right up to the tent in the middle of the night and just start barking at him for a 1/2 hour or so. He decided to stay in the tent and not confront the animal. Just wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences, or had any problems with this.
    From what I've heard, unlike dogs, coyotes don't bark.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post

I do carry a couple of cherry bomb firecrackers and pepper spray just in case an animal gets too close. I have never used the pepper spray but use the cherry bombs quite often. A great way to get rid of late night visitors.

Bottom line - Don't worry about the coyotes. They are much more afraid of you then you should be of them.

Carl
    I also carry a few firecrackers for that reason. Never had to use them though. Their loud howling at night is terrifying the first time you hear it and then it just becomes annoying once you realize they are pretty much harmless scroungy dogs. I still can't shake my fear of bears though. Had one run me out of my tent/campsite a few years ago destroying my tent in the process and have been pretty shaken solo camping ever since.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    I still can't shake my fear of bears though. Had one run me out of my tent/campsite a few years ago destroying my tent in the process and have been pretty shaken solo camping ever since.
    Many years ago, just north of GSMNP, I awoke in my tent just before dawn to a little rustling and sniffing outside. Now, knowing that it's the little critters that usually make the loudest noise, I knew this was something larger than a chipmunk out there, but what it was I couldn't figure out. So I zipped open the tent door and maybe one foot away is a bear's face. He/she? let out a "bear woof/snort" in unison with my even louder, "AHHHHH!". He turned tail and took off running. Needless to say, coffee was not needed to wake me up that morning. Later people asked how big the bear was. 10 foot tall, 1000 lbs I told them. [Probably about a 150-200 lbs young bear.] Yeah, even the little ones look really big up close and personal.
    Last edited by Alligator; 02-27-2017 at 23:15. Reason: Quoted post was removed.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Is there any chance that some of these encounters might be wolves? The "large white" coyote in particular has me thinking of this possibility, since coyotes are not usually either large or white(ish). But wolves can be.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Paul View Post
    Is there any chance that some of these encounters might be wolves? The "large white" coyote in particular has me thinking of this possibility, since coyotes are not usually either large or white(ish). But wolves can be.
    It is very doubtful that you would see any wolves as far south as the Appalachian Trail. However there are numerous coyote domestic dog hybrids as well as up north are reportedly some coyote wolf hybrids. The coyote dog hybrids are becoming increasingly common in my area.

It is also worth noting as a general statement that eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable and people's eyes routinely play tricks on them, mine included. In the woods it's very easy for a domestic dog to become a wolf, a 30 pound coyote to become a 60 pound coyote, or a large bobcat to become a mountain lion, I think it's happened to the best of us. I always take unverified reports of exceptional animal sightings with a grain of salt.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Devil dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by solohiker View Post
    Devil dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Paul View Post
    Naw. It is also not likely the coyote was white (as in White either). Many coyotes are very light in color with silver tints to their fur. In the moonlight that appears to be white(ish).

Our neighborhood here in AZ is full of coyotes and they love to 'talk' to each other half the night. Even the dog pays them no attention until they get in her yard. That's just rude and not allowed! We meet them on our morning walks about 3 times a week along with packs of wild pigs (I am very cautious with those).

I've encountered several feral dogs on my AT sections, mostly in the south.

One was just lost, and I felt bad for him. I led him out of the woods but I couldn't rescue or adopt him. Others would "meet" you at trailheads and just act ferocious. Often in packs. I took to picking up a big stick whenever I heard the barking near a road crossing.

Not all of them are feral, some are "pets" allowed to run free. No leash laws down in the hollers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
    wild dogs are my biggest fear on the AT, I have had 2 encounters. One was a solo mean dog snarling mix that keep trying to bite me, the other was 3wild dogs that had taken down a deer right on the trail, they saw my wife and me and tore out at us like they meant to kill. I was so shaken, had it not been for my poles both times I would have been bitten for sure. The 3 were German shepherd, boxer and believe it or not a golden retriever looking dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Naw. It is also not likely the coyote was white (as in White either). Many coyotes are very light in color with silver tints to their fur. In the moonlight that appears to be white(ish).

Our neighborhood here in AZ is full of coyotes and they love to 'talk' to each other half the night. Even the dog pays them no attention until they get in her yard. That's just rude and not allowed! We meet them on our morning walks about 3 times a week along with packs of wild pigs (I am very cautious with those).
    That's quite a neighborhood you live in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++