WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Easy, kid friendly food

I will be taking my 8y/o on her first overniter as soon as the weather breaks. I am more excited than her! Lol

Anyhow I usually take those bagged foods but I would like her first trip to be special. I am thinking a big breakfast.

How do you cook "real food" on a single camp stove and pot?

What are some ideas on what I can make?

Thanks.

I learned how to make pancakes on a pocket rocket this weekend, but it had a steep learning curve, required mountains of patience, and was super, super slow.

Eggs may be better, dunno. Your best bet would probably be a flat plate and a fire for a lot more possibilities. With that, we've made steak tips (and veggies in foil packs), fajitas, chicken, etc. Not much of a breakfast eater but a killer dessert is roasted marshmallows with Nutella, on a flour tortilla that you then fry in some butter in the flat pan. Roll it up like a crepe. Sorry those commas are a mess.

Anyways, a fire gives you a bigger cooking area than the stove, and if you're building a fire, wouldn't dinner make more sense than breakfast?

Pic: my best pancake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Make a fire. Bring a good sized cast iron pan. Bring eggs, bacon, bread to toast in a bit of bacon grease, hot cocoa, strawberry jam. Don't forget a spatula.

Journal Entries

Is a breakfast sandwich a option? Using a MSR Kettle, hard boiled eggs, cheese, ham, small bagel.

Line the kettle with ham forming a 'boat', add cheese and sliced egg, top with bagel half, invert other half on top. Put the lid on and cook slowly. When cheese is melty take off the first bagel half, put the lid back on and invert the pot onto the lid and remove the pot. Place the half of the bagel you removed on top.

While on the trail with my wife and kids, I have cooked muffins for breakfast on several occasions. I use the "just add water" muffin mix, there are several flavors and brands out there. To cook, I use a traditional lightweight aluminum mess kit (the one with a pan, bowl, pot, and cup), put some cooking oil on the pan side of the mess kit, place mixed muffin mix (I bring a zip lock bag to mix muffin mix with water) into pan. Place bowl on top of pan to act as a lid and cook similar to a dutch oven on the camp fire.

The cub scouts liked boil-in-a-bag omelets. Embellish with cheese, bacon bits etc. Easy!

Consider a second pot. One to cook, one to boil water for hot drinks and cleanup. Mac and cheese is often a favorite, or bring tortillas and dried refried beans plus extras. For an overnight, canned food is reasonable. In short, any tasty one pot meal, with cocoa to follow will go over well. For breakfast, oatmeal (not instant) with dry fruit added before cooking will bring smiles. Also plenty of snack food, whatever she likes and will travel well. I hope you have as much fun with your daughter as I did with my kids growing up, and beyond.
    17 Waiting for dinner.jpg
    Ellie at ten, Wonderland Trail. Substitute your child and smile.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GREAT topic.

On planned in advance day hikes and overnighters taking into account short easy mileage I like making up previous foods and storing in Ziplocs and/or containers fresh fruit and produce and small portions like examples given here: http://goexplorenature.com/2013/09/5...-for-kids.html. It doesn't have to be a menu at any time that is bland, expensive, based on sugar, which kids especially get too much of anyhow, or inconvenient.

Mini bagels with a nut butter or hummus(try it out with the kids off trail first) and some cucumber slices and packets of no sugar added fruit jam.

Squeezable packets of applesauce. Squeezable packets that have caps are better for kids. These sold at Target have been a major hit on trail: http://www.target.com/p/organic-slam..._ab|15169576|2 The kids put them on pretzel nuggets and love the savory fruity sweet combinations.

Fruit leather snacks. Be careful. Most have high amounts of added sugar. http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/145 I like measuring these out with some complex carbs, high in fiber, and protein snack foods. One of the last things I want kids to experience on trail is a sugar energy short lived peaking and then bonking personality. BTW, I don't usually let kids carry all their food on trail.

Tuna(in packets) and crackers. I take Kasha brand crackers and yellow tail in EVOO in foil packets for my nieces and nephews. Try to get fish that isn't so smelly which can put some kids off.

Organic string cheese always is a favorite snack.

Most of the kids I have outings with their parents are aware of not allowing their youngsters to expect everything eaten has to be massively sugary. Dried no added strawberries and no sugar added roasted coconut both having their natural sweetness always have a large following. Serve a drink like a flavored water when noshing roasted coconut chips. Serving small flakes or shredded coconut can catch in throats sending people into coughing fits. BTW, kids like their own small servings they can have some control of themselves. Serve up small single serving packets or servings.

Granola Bars. This is another iffy category though. I serve Clif KIT Organic Cashew and QIA Mocha/Cocoa/Hazlenut nutritional bars. PB packets added to dry bars during sit down and nosh lets look at snails or find Ladybugs moments have been priceless at overlooks(old barns, waterfalls, at the base of a fire tower, under large tress, next to a brook, etc). Have drinks and a quart Ziplock for garbage and maybe some wet wipes.

Speaking of a good quality low sugar cocoa... Chocolate always is a hit. For my loved ones or kids I'm guiding that means no chocolate flavored sugar so called chocolate. I get best Uncle and happy more cooperative Mr Chuck status kudos giving the Kids THEO brand Kids Crunch Almond, Theo Kids Crunch Raspberry, and Theo Kids Crunch Banana 1 oz chocolate bars. These are measured out. They aren't given to all I have at once to kids. https://www.theochocolate.com/product/145 https://www.theochocolate.com/product/143 https://www.theochocolate.com/product/144

The Endangered Species wrapped chocolate seems to go over very well too. We get to associate Nature with chocolate. Kids love Nature! Buy different Endangered Species version chocolate wrapped with different animals on the wrapper and get the Nature talk discussion going and/or give animal trail names to the kind of chocolate they like. Environmental stewardship and a larger than human centric awareness talk doesn't have to be so serious. http://www.target.com/bp/endangered%...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Annie's Mac N Cheese for dinner with some broccoli or small amounts of veggies and chicken(from a packet). Get the alphabet, rabbit, or wagon wheel shapes. Again, associate individual trail names or pet names with their food. Food for kids is a game. Play along.

Various soups for dinner also seem to go over well with on the side pita chips or Ezekiel bread triangles w/ a dip and string cheese The Ezekiel bread they eat at home. Let the kids help with the cooking. YES, teach kids that everything doesn't have to come from a box, can, or bag microwave ready to eat. I like sustainably foraging with kids for this reason. They see where their food can be naturally sourced.

Trail mixes containing some of the kid's dry cereal they may eat for b-fast at home that is recognizable to them lets me sneak in dried blueberries, nuts, and other dried goodies with some moisture however little it is.

I find having a diversity of snacking options is best.

If anything be aware that the usual deli meats like pepperoni and cheese isn't the only thing that people, including kids, might like or might be viewed as convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardency View Post
    The cub scouts liked boil-in-a-bag omelets. Embellish with cheese, bacon bits etc. Easy!
    Agreed! My boys (and girls once I started a co-ed high school Adventure Club group) have always LOVED "Eggs-in-a-Bag." You need to use brand name freezer bags to be assured they won't split in the boiling water. Add an egg or two... mixings (such as ham, onion, mushroom, green pepper, and/or cheese). SQUEEZE multiple times (their favorite part!), drop into boiling water... Just make sure it gets fully cooked! This can be eaten right out of the bag to save dishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Consider a second pot. One to cook, one to boil water for hot drinks and cleanup. Mac and cheese is often a favorite, or bring tortillas and dried refried beans plus extras. For an overnight, canned food is reasonable. In short, any tasty one pot meal, with cocoa to follow will go over well. For breakfast, oatmeal (not instant) with dry fruit added before cooking will bring smiles. Also plenty of snack food, whatever she likes and will travel well. I hope you have as much fun with your daughter as I did with my kids growing up, and beyond.
    17 Waiting for dinner.jpg
    Ellie at ten, Wonderland Trail. Substitute your child and smile.
    Awesome! She already goes on day hikes and I've been bringing my stove and making the store bought freeze dried meals. We both really like AlpineAire 3 cheese pasta.

I wanted to do something fun for at least one meal. This will be her first stay in the woods. She is the type is it goes slightly bad she will probably totally write it off.

I think I could spare some room in my pack for a small aluminum fry pan. How do you take meat and eggs without refrigeration?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    Awesome! She already goes on day hikes and I've been bringing my stove and making the store bought freeze dried meals. We both really like AlpineAire 3 cheese pasta.

I wanted to do something fun for at least one meal. This will be her first stay in the woods. She is the type is it goes slightly bad she will probably totally write it off.

I think I could spare some room in my pack for a small aluminum fry pan. How do you take meat and eggs without refrigeration?
    Eggs don't honestly require refrigeration. They'll keep for many days at reasonable temperatures. In most parts of the world, eggs are sold unrefrigerated. Ours won't keep as long without refrigeration because we wash the natural coating (called the bloom) that seals the shell pores off the shell in the US, but for a few days they'll keep fine. Regarding meat, the first day out, you can take frozen meat and let it thaw as you are hiking. One of my favorites is kabob chunks of meat - skewer them on a long metal fork (avail at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s...PmJZQ_U3NpuxWQ ) and cook them over a wood fire. Good sausage like Kielbasa is also really good roasted over a fire. You can use the same fork to make breadsticks and churros over the fire as well. Mix Bisquick in a ziplock. Shape into short rolls, wrap on the fork, and cook over fire. Finish with butter or butter and dust with cinnamon sugar.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I got to a shelter in the Smokies and didn't want to cook because it was raining and I had a wood stove at the time. So, I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead. There was a kid there with his granddad who looked on with obvious envy as I ate that sandwich
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I got to a shelter in the Smokies and didn't want to cook because it was raining and I had a wood stove at the time. So, I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead. There was a kid there with his granddad who looked on with obvious envy as I ate that sandwich
    A kid thru-hiker no doubt.

As Trail Angel Mary was bringing out trays of chicken, lasagna, burgers, etc the salivating expressions on the gaunt dirty thru hiker third world wolves faces were priceless. She took some pics. Eyes were as big as platters and some were twitching in anticipated nourishment.

My kids' favorite trail breakfast: Cereal with dehydrated milk. They want to go backpacking just so they can eat that nasty, sugar-filled cereal that we won't lt them have at home. Hey, whatever works

You can also get em involved before you go, make some granola bars with em and reap the rewards on the trail.

Hot dogs, cereal, ham and cheese sandwiches, hot chocolate made with Nido and Carnation instance breakfast, peanut M&M's, peanut butter and crackers, eggs in a bag, precooked bacon, dehydrated spaghetti w/ meat sauce, lentil chili with rice side....Every trip I try something new to see how it goes.
    Daughter started going with me at 9, now 10. She loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    I learned how to make pancakes on a pocket rocket this weekend, but it had a steep learning curve, required mountains of patience, and was super, super slow.

Eggs may be better, dunno. Your best bet would probably be a flat plate and a fire for a lot more possibilities. With that, we've made steak tips (and veggies in foil packs), fajitas, chicken, etc. Not much of a breakfast eater but a killer dessert is roasted marshmallows with Nutella, on a flour tortilla that you then fry in some butter in the flat pan. Roll it up like a crepe. Sorry those commas are a mess.

Anyways, a fire gives you a bigger cooking area than the stove, and if you're building a fire, wouldn't dinner make more sense than breakfast?

Pic: my best pancake.

Put some bananas and blueberries in it. Top with some ceylon cinnamon and 100% maple syrup and I'm coming over for B-fast. That looks really good. You did a nice flap jackery.

Images

Idahoan mashed potatoes eggs bacon wrapped in a tortilla.....add some instant oatmeal with fresh fruit and you Are set!

My kids' favorite camping breakfast is peanut butter breakfast cookies with hot chocolate or hot cider (packet). Depending on appetites, fresh or dried fruit and/or trail mix is also eaten.

Got the recipe for the cookies from one of my backpacking cookbooks.

-FA

Over the years, my best advice has always been this: Take what your kids like at home, and replicate it in easy ways on the trail. Keep it simple. One it's easier on you, but if you hike at altitude, a lost appetite is a real issue. I learned with my oldest son that blander food was best when he hiked high. (I might have a bottle of hot sauce clenched in my hand....however). Get the kid(s) involved in planning. Let them go shopping with you! And have them bagging up meals, measuring out ingredients. Let them pack their own snack bag - get together snacks you both approve of, and lay them out, letting them pick. We'd do snacks for each day in a separate quart bag.
    Life is a bit more complicated now, with 3 boys and one has severe food allergies. But we still approach it the same way
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++