WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Did an 11 miles dayhike testing out new shoes. I now have two nearly identical blisters on the side of each big toe...

Journal Entries
    Images

Hiked in the rain on Saturday. I don't need the practice but Mother Nature thought that I did. I thought that I could finish before it began, lost that bet.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Hiked in the rain on Saturday. I don't need the practice but Mother Nature thought that I did. I thought that I could finish before it began, lost that bet.

Next time were expecting a thunderstorm I am gonna set up the tent in the rain and see how that goes.

Having read this post and expecting rain within the hour, I just set up my BA UL2 HV in the yard. I have hiked in rain, carried pack up local hills and had four decent nights in the tent but not tested it in the rain. We shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Journal Entries
    Images

4th of July 2015 I was out in my BA CS1 and got absolutely hammered by an overnight tstorm. Thunder and lightning right on top of me. I was waiting to get hit. Stayed dry in the tent. There was a new pond about 20' feet away from me in the AM, site selection is important. I didn't have to worry about water sources the next day, the trail was still flowing like a creek.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    Next time were expecting a thunderstorm I am gonna set up the tent in the rain and see how that goes.

Ive done that with three tents now. Returned one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Ive done that with three tents now. Returned one of them.
    Calling for storms thurs and fri this week. hope I can catch one of those.

Went to Gym today. 3.5 miles per hour on a Rolling Hills Level 20 work out setting. Almost my full weight, added a few items to replace food and water. 3 weeks left till my 10 day hike! X2vJKscnsZAF2qqhFMyI-EhUhtzqmQbp70Kl58KKeBkpX92IB.jpg

I've been doing some fairly extensive "trail life at home" prep work. I've been getting used to wearing hiking clothes. My housemate went on vacation and I haven't used air conditioning at all this month; I soak my polyester wicking T and let evaporation cool me. I trimmed my mustache with Fiskars travel scissors. (The results were a bit ragged, but at least I didn't strain my soup.) I carry a 2 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner's around between kitchen and bathroom, and use that for cleaning. At least every other night I scrub up at the sink (to simulate finishing a day's hike) rather than take a shower. I've been cooking in my GSI Extreme mess kit on the gas cooktop, and eating with the tiny GSI plastic fork and spoon which fit inside. I set my table with a Sea to Summit XL-Bowl, which sort of makes a plate when you collapse the silicone sides. Most of my food is stuff I could have on the trail. I've been sleeping in/on an old camping sleeping bag to get used to not having room to move around. (It's laid out on the sofa because my Klymit Static V hasn't arrived yet, and I've already determined that my old CCF pad won't let me get a good night's sleep on the floor. I don't want subject my new mummy bag to unnecessary wear, so I just did one night in that.) I haven't driven my car in months. I walk to local grocery stores for all my food needs, plus some movies, other shopping, and eateries in addition to the couple of scenic hiking opportunities available nearby. (I've convinced myself that movies just aren't that good these days, and the 6 mile walk has no impact. )

This week I took a big step to prepare for my 2018 thru... I bought my plane ticket home from Morocco! Casablanca's been good to me, but I'm leaving my job at the end of November and officially flying home in mid-December. I'll be living with family and working odd jobs until spring, and then leaving from Springer in mid-late April if all goes according to plan! Hoping to avoid the peak of the bubble by going a bit late.

Sunday I mixed up some permethrin and treated all of my hiking clothes. I am 2 weeks out from my 10 day trip so it should be good and dry and hopefully the smell has dissipated enough by then.

Journal Entries
    Images

Spent what turned out to be a good day inside planning a Tuscarora Trail hike, dehydrating a rice & chicken recipe, and posting on White Blaze - a day not wasted. I'll get out tomorrow, it's supposed to be an even nicer day.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I sent off my visa application and have an appointment with the US embassy this month. They asked lots of weird questions on the form, like: Will you be committing a terrorist attack? Are you related to anyone who has or might commit a terrorist attack? Naturally I answered YES as I like a challenge. They also wanted to know who I would be staying with. For a hiker wandering in the woods and living inside a tent I considered this a trick question.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I've been doing some fairly extensive "trail life at home" prep work. I've been getting used to wearing hiking clothes. My housemate went on vacation and I haven't used air conditioning at all this month; I soak my polyester wicking T and let evaporation cool me. I trimmed my mustache with Fiskars travel scissors. (The results were a bit ragged, but at least I didn't strain my soup.) I carry a 2 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner's around between kitchen and bathroom, and use that for cleaning. At least every other night I scrub up at the sink (to simulate finishing a day's hike) rather than take a shower. I've been cooking in my GSI Extreme mess kit on the gas cooktop, and eating with the tiny GSI plastic fork and spoon which fit inside. I set my table with a Sea to Summit XL-Bowl, which sort of makes a plate when you collapse the silicone sides. Most of my food is stuff I could have on the trail. I've been sleeping in/on an old camping sleeping bag to get used to not having room to move around. (It's laid out on the sofa because my Klymit Static V hasn't arrived yet, and I've already determined that my old CCF pad won't let me get a good night's sleep on the floor. I don't want subject my new mummy bag to unnecessary wear, so I just did one night in that.) I haven't driven my car in months. I walk to local grocery stores for all my food needs, plus some movies, other shopping, and eateries in addition to the couple of scenic hiking opportunities available nearby. (I've convinced myself that movies just aren't that good these days, and the 6 mile walk has no impact. )
    Wow, can't decide if I should laugh or give you a high five...so I'll do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Wow, can't decide if I should laugh or give you a high five...so I'll do both.
    Yeah, it's definitely kind of weird. I know I can handle backpacking trips of two weeks just fine. But I don't know if I can handle the limitations and inconveniences of life on the trail for months at a time -- or if I'll get fed up with all the little annoyances to the point of giving up. So, I'm doing my darndest to rule that out now.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely kind of weird. I know I can handle backpacking trips of two weeks just fine. But I don't know if I can handle the limitations and inconveniences of life on the trail for months at a time -- or if I'll get fed up with all the little annoyances to the point of giving up. So, I'm doing my darndest to rule that out now.
    I thought your post might be a joke. The mustache trimming was funny.

You have a ton of willpower and will do just fine, no matter how long you hike.

Personally I don't do anything different to prepare for a hike....however, yesterday while riding my bike down the beach enjoying the scenery with a cold beer I saw a guy with trekking poles, loaded pack and boots walking down the beach sweating his arse off..... I guess everyone's got there approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm considering shaving my legs and removing the ink from my tattoos to reduce weight. Maybe I'll do it next weekend.

Ran a half marathon... with zero training. Next time I think I can't push up a mountain, ill remember how my legs felt after running non stop for 13 miles

Journal Entries

after a month of no cardio at all since my last 3 week hike, I gained 8 lbs back. Today, I started running again .

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++