WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Made two batches of sloppy joes; mixed one with egg noodles. Dehydrated both for future meals.

Decided (again) that 2018 is the year. All I have to do now is tell work about it.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Thru hike prep? Did 135 miles at the south end of the AT in 9 days of hiking. Next week I begin adding 100+ more miles. It must be like flying; at some point you just keep going. You solve one problem after another, even intentionally doing many miles in pouring rain and thunderstorms. If you were able to hike the next day then maybe it's dialed in good enough. Keep going. That's my theory. Will let you know how it works out after the thru hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Drove 3 hrs to REI in DesMoines/shopped for 3/drove home.
    Preparing for a 2020 NOBO through hike so I just got shoes, socks, backpack, hammock, stove, compass, and a waterfilter kit (will practice on the Muddy Mississippi!).
    I'm giving myself plenty of time to toughen up, retire, and take the hike to DIE for

I appreciate this thread: I've never camped, hiked, or any of that stuff: YES - I am doing a lot of research and will now get down to the practical.
    Last edited by Click; 07-03-2017 at 21:24.

Cycled, ran, did sit-ups, researched bug nets, planned upcoming hike, took a nap.

I have done 60 minutes of stair climbing each day... trying to get those muscles in shape for mountains!

Leonidas

Well, so far this week I packed to see how I wanted everything for the section we are hiking. Dropped 2 items out of the pack, figured out where everything is going to go. Ran 5 miles today, lifting weights Wed., Thursday we head out, pickup a fellow White Blazer on Friday morning and head to Fontana Dam, looks like we have a full crowd at Mollies Ridge and then we start pushing for 20's.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Does the prep have to be just for an AT hike? I ask because even though one may be prepping for a LD hike elsewhere there surely can be commonality. Im also asking because I think it is great to be açcountabLe and to recognize prep progressing by staying accountable rather than making one post to such an important process. This further gets us more accustomed to a journey, a step by step enjoyable patience building path like process keeping us consistently engaged in the now, the moment. This patterning has major carry over psychological, emotional, and physical boots on the ground on trail benefits.

Images

Weight lifting and cardio daily, ordered 3 days of Packit Gourmet lunches and dinners, made a list of things to pick up at the store and been tweeking my gear list to reduce pack weight, should be hitting the A.T. in Ct. or Mass. and possibly with another or more from Whiteblaze in a few weeks if not sooner.

Been on vacation for 10 days so haven't done a whole lot, but while on vacation there was a croc outlet store, Picked up a pair of camp shoes. These things are great for wet feet and super light. Wasn't sure about camp shoes but figured I would give them a try on my upcoming 10 day hike. Will know after that if I want to keep them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Does the prep have to be just for an AT hike? I ask because even though one may be prepping for a LD hike elsewhere there surely can be commonality. Im also asking because I think it is great to be açcountabLe and to recognize prep progressing by staying accountable rather than making one post to such an important process. This further gets us more accustomed to a journey, a step by step enjoyable patience building path like process keeping us consistently engaged in the now, the moment. This patterning has major carry over psychological, emotional, and physical boots on the ground on trail benefits.
    It's not just about AT hiking for me, but staying in shape to enjoy whatever hiking I decide to do.

You are right, it does require patience although I can't say it's always enjoyable. Wanting to hike and enjoy it is what motivated me to lose weight and get in shape in the first place. It's been a very long process, literally filled with blood, sweat, and tears but worth every mile.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I have done 60 minutes of stair climbing each day... trying to get those muscles in shape for mountains!
    I'm impressed. I don't last long on the stair climber... usually 30 min after running a mile to warm up. Do you wear a pack? I get bored easily so switch it up by walking sideways or work on balance by not holding onto anything.

This week I prepared for my 2018 thru by trying to get my joints figured out. I went to an orthopedic doctor about some knee pain, and started treatment. I dislodged my Hoffa's pad two years ago while backpacking (squatting to take a picture of the Burgos cathedral with a full pack on my back while doing the Camino de Santiago) and eventually got it taken care of after thousands of dollars spent on an MRI and PT.

Now, after climbing a 13,000 foot mountain here in Morocco, the fat pad seems to be impinged again, and it's causing me trouble. Not serious pain, but enough discomfort to make me want to figure it out before it can impede my plan for a 2018 nobo thru. Luckily, for the doctor's visit, an ultrasound of both knees, and five prescriptions (anti inflammatories, something for cartilage, something to protect my stomach from the other stuff, and a topical cream) I only had to pay about $100, 70% of which will be refunded by my Moroccan insurance.

This is all very confusing because I was planning to move back to the U.S. soon, but if I need ongoing medical care or heaven forbid, knee surgery, then I should probably stay in Morocco. I can't afford treatment in the U.S. without wiping out my savings for the thru hike. Lots to consider...

Journal Entries
    Images

Put the pack on a diet, did another section in SNP. It was hot!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

THX again TJ.

I went to crossfit after quite a break
    Plan to do crossfit 3 times per week + gym as usual.

Ordered miscellaneous through-hike gear: dry bags (MassDrop & eBay), a tornado tube for Sawyer squeeze gravity feed (eBay), and a larger fuel bottle for my Primus stove (eBay again). Also watched another batch of gear review videos for ideas.

Hiked the Pesidential Range from Pinkham notch to Crawford Notch. Summited Mt Washington on a beautiful afternoon. Yes, Maine and New Hampshire is my personal training grounds to prepare to hike the AT...by hiking the AT and bagging 4k foot peaks.

Practiced setting up my new (to me) CF tarp. Purchased a MLD bugnet bivy. Ran, swam, cycled, push-ups, sit-ups. Spent too much time on Internet hiking forums.

Got in my Zpacks Duplex and msr groundhogs. This thing is crazy light and super easy to set up. I understand already why people love these things.

Also spent most of yesterday filling out a spread sheet with all my gear. Its almost complete. Have descriptions and weights for everything. Will be posting here for advice soon. Trying to stuff it all in a lighter pack. Was able to fit everything in except my food bag. Going to work on that this week. I can save a pound going to this lighter pack that is only a little bit smaller. Need a thru hiker to come show me how to pack lol .

Drove to Port Clinton and hiked out of the gap and back down in both directions.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++