WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Video: 2017 Ultralight Backpacking Loadout

I put together my ultralight backpacking kit for 2017. If I was doing a thru-hike this year, this would be what my pack would start out looking like. Like most people it would evolve as I hike. This gear is all gear that I have tested and tried on the trail. I am comfortable with it and trust it. You need to find what works for you and tweak your kit to fit your style and needs.

Here is the loadout video if you want to check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbk1m-dB85A

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice video. I'm not quite ready to go UL. I can get down in the low 20s but I like some more options but for a summer kit I could go lighter. I could shave a pound with out my puffy.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Nice video. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    Nice video. Very well done.
    +1 well done! Good demonstration that UL doesn't involve voodoo or death-defying stunts, and doesn't have to drain the 401k.

Personally, I would want a fleece or puffy jacket and some wind pants (I luv Montbell Dynamos) to round it out. And my one luxury, my GSI coffee mug (3.6 oz)

Thank you! I do change it up quite a bit based on the location and the forecast. This is primarily a summer and shoulder season kit, it will get me into the upper 40's pretty nicely. Although if I know it's going to hit the 40's I'll swap it out for my 20 degree full length quilts.

Several asked for it, so here's this ... https://lighterpack.com/r/a9zp88

I would be ok with this kit in mid summer, but not starting a thru hike early in the year. IMO, you are going to be cold, especially in the Smokys.

I have tried various weights of underquilts for my hammock in an attempt to lighten my load. I nearly froze with a 50 quilt testing in my backyard. Then I tried a 40, even a 30, but I need a 20 degree quilt, both top and bottom for most situations.

I started a LASH at Springer on May 20 2014 and went through the GSMNP the first part of June. At Icewater Springs shelter that year, we had a 40 mile an hour blowing rain and fog. Rain, fog, and wind is a deadly combination I was just barely warm enough wearing everything I had in my 20 quilts.

Don't get me wrong, I too try to be as ultralight as possible, but I'm very wary with your clothes and quilt weights.

"If it gets really cold I have my rain jacket".

Do you mean way down to 55 degrees?

Stupid side of light. Really bad advice IMO.

Okay, to specify, this is my summer kit. I have also put up videos for my colder weather gear. This would be good (the sleep system) down to the mid/upper 40's, below that and I'd swap out for my 20 degree kit, or my 0 degree kit. As for clothing, that would also change. If I know it's going to be low 50's, I'll have a jacket or even a lighter puffy with me.

that'd work for a summer hike. You could mention right at the outset the intended conditions/season, etc

not sure why you bothered mentioning a thru-hike relating to this video

Quote Originally Posted by Backpkrmn View Post
    If I was doing a thru-hike this year, this would be what my pack would start out looking like. Like most people it would evolve as I hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    that'd work for a summer hike. You could mention right at the outset the intended conditions/season, etc

not sure why you bothered mentioning a thru-hike relating to this video
    Fair, I use it for section hikes when I can get out. I didn't say that in the video though. Also, I didn't say when I'd start a thru hike. But I get the point. This was a video to show how light I could get my pack and still go out and be self reliant, safe and enjoy a backpacking trip.

Adding about 1.5 lb of clothing could extend the cold-n-wet capability enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Adding about 1.5 lb of clothing could extend the cold-n-wet capability enormously.
    Absolutely, and that's exactly what I would do.

No phone or battery?

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    No phone or battery?
    So in this one I excluded all my electronics. Because of the filming, I normally carry quite a bit more than most would carry as far as electronics go. I will be putting together another video that shows my electronics that I take. Also, for those that are curious what I would take when it's the cooler portion of the year, here is that video...

I realize this is just about your core gear but where and how do you carry your food?

Quote Originally Posted by Backpkrmn View Post
    So in this one I excluded all my electronics. Because of the filming, I normally carry quite a bit more than most would carry as far as electronics go.
    I guess I'm a little confused then and I'm truly not trying to jump on the pile here, but I've seen other YouTuber's leave out electronics as well. If it's something you take on a trip regularly and it is not a consumable, it should be listed. It kinda feels like you are leaving a few small things out in order to push the base weight numbers down. Viewers like myself want to see a 6lb pack all in. John Zahorian doesn't leave his electronics out of his base weight and his pack weight is truly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused then and I'm truly not trying to jump on the pile here, but I've seen other YouTuber's leave out electronics as well. If it's something you take on a trip regularly and it is not a consumable, it should be listed. It kinda feels like you are leaving a few small things out in order to push the base weight numbers down. Viewers like myself want to see a 6lb pack all in. John Zahorian doesn't leave his electronics out of his base weight and his pack weight is truly impressive.
    Prior to filming, the only electronics I would bring would be my phone. A Samsung Galaxy S5. I leave it off unless I need it. But that's it. So add 145g to my pack.

I am trying to show a pack that would be relevant to others. Adding in 5 lbs of recording gear isn't what others are carrying, because most are not out there making videos.

No worries on any of this. I enjoy doing the videos and so I'll just do another one that addresses the concerns people have posted on here.

Very nice video. This gives me some good ideas. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++