WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'm not personally sure about the details on the BMT, except that I've been told this North Shore Road would indeed go through part of that area.
    -dixiehiker

I haven't hiked this part of the BMT yet, hopefully I will in another year or two. But my understanding is what is now called The Road To Nowhere is a paved road from Bryson City ending at the tunnel at or just inside the GSMNP. Continuing beyond the tunnel it's an old dirt road. the North Shore Trail, that is also the BMT. I'll see if I can post a link to a great map of the GSMNP that shows this.

Here's the link. CLick on Trail Map. I can't get it to open so there might be something wrong with it.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/pphtml/maps.html
    Last edited by Hikerhead; 02-01-2006 at 01:12.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default here is yet another angle

surely some one on WB knows of an expert in bugs or salamanders/ etc....dont laugh but major building projects have been halted by endangered animals.....or maybe someone knows some Cherokee that are not in favor of the road and low and behold surprise surprise surprise an old burial ground is discovered....just throwing thoughts out onto the table.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead
    I haven't hiked this part of the BMT yet, hopefully I will in another year or two. But my understanding is what is now called The Road To Nowhere is a paved road from Bryson City ending at the tunnel at or just inside the GSMNP. Continuing beyond the tunnel it's an old dirt road. the North Shore Trail, that is also the BMT. I'll see if I can post a link to a great map of the GSMNP that shows this.

Here's the link. CLick on Trail Map. I can't get it to open so there might be something wrong with it.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/pphtml/maps.html
    That should be Lakeshore Trail, not North Shore Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    I've signed it last week and was hoping to see much more by now - Maybe if say positive things about Warren Doyle this thread will take off!

Ok... um... Warren Doyle has hiked that stretch 14 times during thru-hikes! Amazing!

That's more than anyone esle on the site! What a great guy!

Who will sign it first?
    Good one Wookie, but Dogs now seems to be a hotter topic right now. Maybe mention how many non-trail trained dogs would now be in an area where Dogs weren't previously found???
    http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=2456

I'm trying to sign the petition.... how long does it usually take to get the verification email??

Nevermind I got it now, and have signed!

Smile

Just wanted you ALL to know today too that there are exactly 70 signatures! I was excited at that, because my original hopes were for 100 signatures! We are ONLY 30 away now! So, maybe we will see that happen! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just think that 100 would be a good, strong number to shoot for! It's Feb. 1st, and I'll have the petition running through March 5th. After that, I'll send it to the planners, which will give me time to get it to them before their comments deadline of March 20th. So, the next few weeks will really count!

And, as far as MedicineMan mentioning the wildlife in the area that might be harmed...I DO HOPE the planners are considering that as well! I have read reports that Anakeesta rock that would be cut in the area of the road would probably pollute streams, affecting especially the aquatic life. So, yes, I DO hope they are thinking of that as well. I care about the animals as much as I do the forest. They are all intertwined with one another and depend on one another! So, we are really fighting here for both the forest and the safety of the native wildlife! Thanks for bringing that up, MedicineMan!

-dixiehiker

One of the reasons given by the locals is that they want this road bulit so that they can go visit family graveyards. This is all good and I can understand that. But, the forest service has made available to them a boat that will take them across the lake. If this was me and my family graveyard was on the other side of the lake, I would think the boat ride across would be kinda nice. When you got on the other side it would nice and quite. If this road is built, you would have every tom dick and harry driving by while you're spending some quite time with past loved ones.

Which way would you prefer to get there???

I agree with you, Hikerhead. A good example of what you are saying is in Cades Cove. With all the traffic through there, the grave sites are always crowded with people. A family member of a Cades Cove resident can rarely expect privacy. That could happen to the North Shore area as well.
    -dixiehiker

How do the locals in the area feel about this new road. I realize they may get a little money if the project is shelved but that may not be enough.

A senic drive through the area would benefit both ends. With only one road through the park now, heavily used, those in the area may want another to relieve pressure and capture a little more tourist money. You can bet if it's built it'll be promoted as a good thing and to people that never walk more than 50 feet from their car. Joe hiker here is in the minority.

I agree from afar that the road adds to the problems everyone here is concerned about and personally don't want to see it built. But....
    I don't live there. The local concern may not see it the same way.
    The guy selling blackberry milkshakes on skyline drive won't agree with you.

This post doesn't require another long list of reasons why it shouldn't be built. There's plenty of that posted.

Will the ATC be attending or leading a protest at public meetings on the subject? Will members be writing letters to their respective congress?
    Will media mediums be on board to inform or should I say form public opinion?

In the end, unless national public opinion can be swayed then it's "follow the money".
    Perhaps the only way these pork projects can be brought under control is to pass a line item veto.

Pete

I hope they build the road so they can get oil well drilling equipment in there.

The people of Swain County are divided on this issue. There is a citizen's group, Concerned Citizens of Swain County, who formed for the express purpose of opposing the road and pushing for the cash settlement. The commissioners of Swain County passed a resolution supporting the cash settlement. There are also many vocal supporters of the road.

There is a coalition of environmental groups leading a campaign opposing the road. I have heard that there should be a strong media presence at the meeting today in Swain County including some national media. The current round of meetings will allow for public comment, 3 minutes per person. If you live near Bryson City, attending today's meeting would be a great thing to do. Or attend one of the other meetings scheduled:
    February 2, 4:30-8 p.m., Swain County High School, Center for the Arts, Auditorium, 1415 Fontana Road, Bryson City, NC;
    February 6, 4:30-8 p.m., Robbinsville High School Auditorium, 30 Sweetwater Road, Robbinsville, NC;
    February 7, 4:30-8 p.m., Asheville Renaissance Hotel, One Thomas Wolfe Plaza, Asheville, NC;
    February 9, 4:30-8 p.m., Knoxville Marriott, 500 Hill Avenue, SE., Knoxville, TN;
    February 13, 4:30-8 p.m., Gatlinburg-Pittman High School Auditorium, 150 Proffitt Road, Gatlinburg, TN.

Public written comments are due March 20th. My gut feeling is this will be a political decision so sending a copy of your comments to your elected officials in DC would be a wise move. If you have strong feelings about this, take the time to attend a meeting or send in your written comments.

Smile

I agree with sourwood. PLEASE DO send in your comments on this road to the planners, along with the petition signing. If you can attend the meetings, that is great too! Anything we can do will help.

As far as pete56, I personally do not agree with the scenic road idea (the road would kill a good portion of that scenery to start with) or capturing more tourist dollars for the benefit of a few locals. I personally know several people in the Smokies area. One family is the Oakley's. Mr. Oakley is the son of Wiley Oakley who was known as "The Roamin' Man of the Mountains". I also know a couple of Ogle's. They have generations of history in the Smokies region. I can tell you that they are 100% against this road. The majority of the people in that area LOVE those mountains, and although some may want the road, I believe the larger majority do not want it. I've even read documents from Swain Co. stating that they too would rather the monetary settlement. And, as far as those who never walk 50 feet from their cars, that's their own fault. People today, outside of the elderly and handicapped, (I can understand them totally) are lazy. It would do them GOOD to get out and walk beyond their cars and get in touch with nature again. We should not have to watch the demolition of one of the most beautiful parks there is just because people want to make an extra buck or because people would rather drive than walk a little! Making a profit is not all there is to life. There are some things even more priceless than money.

It's just that if we add roads to the Smokies, before long, you won't know the difference of when Gatlinburg or Cherokee ends and the Smokies begin! I never want that to happen.

I know that people will differ from me on this issue, and that's okay. That's what this country is all about...your freedom to decide. I appreciate all of your comments, and I hope everyone knows that I have started this petition because I just have such a love for those mountains!

Have a great day!
    -dixiehiker

To read about the petition and to sign it just visit:

http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=2456

As far as Dixiehiker,
    What part of "personally don't want to see it built" don't you get.

Will you continue to repeat yourself over and over?
    Did you actually read my last post?
    Do you only "hear" what pleases you?

It seems I ask a few questions you don't want to deal with. Get used to it. Before this issue is over many more will be ask.
    When other points of interest or the devil's advocate view is expressed many only see the trees, not the forest.
    Don't be one of them.
    Stick to your guns, not your head in the sand.

Most politicians could care less what you think unless they get paid. They promise everything and deliver little or nothing.
    Just because........ ain't gonna cut it.
    The only thing I've found they do understand is votes. Threaten that and you'll start seeing results.
    I expect the SUV driving, 50 foot hikers are presently a solid voting block, a safe political bet. I've been there in the fall peak season in bumper to bumper traffic and seen all the folks with money to spend.
    That's what Representative/Congressman clueless sees more than anything.
    Like everything in today's world, it's a marketing thing.
    Follow the Money!

One last thing.
    Dixiehiker, people like you are needed to keep the wheel squeaking when it needs a shot of grease.
    Thank you!

* Heritage, Preservation, Patrimony!

Pete56

(*) Hint

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea....Road!

NO!
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Thumbs down Pete 56

Pete 56,
    I must say that I don't appreciate your "personal attack note". I was in no way rude in my response to you. I only stated my thoughts back on the thoughts you presented. And, yes, I dealt with your questions by the answers that I have knowledge of. I HAVE spoken with several of the locals to know many don't want a road built. And, I understand you were stating what the locals might think on making a profit or of people who do not leave their cars in the mtns. I was stating back to you "my take" on that situation. And, YES, I have the right to repeat my position due to the fact that this is a thread topic I began. You have the same right. However, if you don't like what I'm saying, you are not forced to read this post! You also have a right to express your opinion, thoughts, or "devil's advocate" views as well, but you do not have a right to treat other people rudely. No one deserves that. I don't expect everyone to agree with me or to go along with all that I believe, but I do expect to be treated respectfully, as you deserve the same yourself. THAT is what I have a problem with, not your taking a look at the other side. Your response back to me was vicious and mean hearted in the way it was worded. You don't know me to judge me with such words. I totally got that you said you didn't want to personally see the road built, (that is why I said I did not agree with the "idea", NOT speaking of YOU yourself) but at the same time, I have just as much right to post back to what you presented, as you have as much right to bring up the other side. I should have that right without having to return the next day only to see a cruel response. That's not what anyone is after here, and it is cruel to treat another person in that manner.
    -dixiehiker

I think we all understand that some locals may want the road.

Local's generally want whatever put's ( or might put) money in their pocket. Often, local people who grow up seeing spectacular views and unbroken woodland, don't appreciate it. But that doesn't matter, it's everybodies world. We have as much right to oppose the road as they have of not wanting it. I'll sign the petition because I'm sick of money hungry local's ruining the world for the rest of us.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

rather to oppose the road as they have of WANTING it.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Dixiehiker,
    My post on this subject was certainly not an attack on you but Again I will state there are questions. I had hoped you would see it as objective.
    I'm sorry if you read it that way or if it comes accross that way.
    Yes, you do have the right to keep posting the same thing over again. I just don't think think it's necessary here.

No one else on this thread has said much other than to agree with you. No surprise, it's the choir.
    Heck, I agree with you.

A straight down the line check list of "I agree" might please you personally but won't get you very far outside this forum. Only a start.

The next time you talk with your friends that live in that area ask them how many people were against the building of the dam, and what good it did them. Or what resources were available to them at the time to protest.

I had hoped, and my intention was, that a broader audience than WB might help get your message to produce fruit.

Perhaps in my zeal to communicate this to you I was wrong to think you would take it as constructive. Perhaps thinking outside the box was a mistake.

Please accept my apology,
    Pete

"endeavor to persevere"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++