WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Warbonnet Outdoors

Ive been using Warbonnet hammock gear for 5 or so years now.

Just now did I have a problem with a piece of gear. Honestly, it was most likely due to overstressing the shock chord on my underquilt. I was attempting to hike the BMT thru the smokies and on my first night my Dream hammock failed leaving me on the ground. Luckily a very kind hiker let me his "spare" hammock and I tried to continue my hike with this hammock. On my second night as I was trying to go to bed, my underquilt shock chord snapped and again I didnt sleep well. Hundreds of miles with no major gear failures then I had 2 in a row on a long hike.

When I got home I contacted Dream hammock to let them know their gear failed and what my options were. I was extremely disappointed in their customer service. They didnt want to help me much at all even after admitting to producing a shotty hammock. Frustrating.

I contacted Warbonnet and they sent me the materials to fix the underquilt, instructions and some stickers, no questions asked. It arrived 2 days later.

If you are considering Warbonnet gear do not hesitate! I have been very happy with the quality of their gear and customer service. Thanks Warbonnet! Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Dream hammock.

That's disappointing, and surprising. I've only ever heard good things about Dream Hammocks.

Glad to hear Warbonnet stands behind their products!

I believe in finding a vendor you really like and then sticking with them Warbonnet is one of my favorites for the very reasons you gave. Simply Light Designs is also high on my list.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I understand your frustration with gear wearing out and getting old.

But do you really think it is their obligation to replace it?

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 02-28-2017 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I understand your frustration with gear wearing out and getting old.

But do you really think it is their obligation to replace it?

Carl
    I believe he just wanted to know his options.

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    When I got home I contacted Dream hammock to let them know their gear failed and what my options were.

Journal Entries
    Images

It all would depend on how it failed. I have heard good things about dream hammock. I have one. I am sorry you were not pleased with the encounter.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

See thats the problem, I LOVED the hammock. I was really dissapointed when it failed because for me, it was perfect and I enjoyed it so much. I had used it sucesfully for about 20 nights before the fabric tore near the gathered end.

I was in no way expecting Dream hammock to replace it for free. I did think it was BS that they didnt want to help me out even after admitting that that model was weak and that problem has occured with other customers. Warbonnet sent me the neccesary items to fix my underquilt for free and I got it within 2 days. Never had a problem with any of their gear and much of it has traveled 100's of miles with me

See thats the problem, I LOVED the hammock. I was really dissapointed when it failed because for me, it was perfect and I enjoyed it so much. I had used it sucesfully for about 20 nights before the fabric tore near the gathered end.

I was in no way expecting Dream hammock to replace it for free. I did think it was BS that they didnt want to help me out even after admitting that that model was weak and that problem has occured with other customers. Warbonnet sent me the neccesary items to fix my underquilt for free and I got it within 2 days. Never had a problem with any of their gear and much of it has traveled 100's of miles with me
    What type of material? Was this a 1oz ripstop?

I think we're missing some info here. How can overstressing your underquilt cause your hammock to fail?? As far I as I can see, since I use both, they are two separate (yes I know they work together) things. Your underquilt should have nothing to do with your hammock failing. Tell us the whole story.

How exactly did the hammock "fail"?

The underquilt and hammock failed on different nights, they were back to back though.

the first night the hammock failed. The material they used (it was the camo 1.0 or 1.1 ripstop) straight up tore near the gathered end of the hammock. It tore so badly that it left me on my butt. I assume that also had something to do with the underquilt failing the second night. When the hammock broke i went to the ground taking the underquilt with me (becuase it hangs under you...)

the second night, I was using a loaner hammock that a random hiker had has an "extra". This hammock was much much smaller and probably wasnt designed for sleeping in. When i went to sleep in it that night, the shock chord on the underquilt failed and snapped. I assume due to having been super stressed the previous night when the hammock broke and also due to not fitting so great with the loaner hammock.

I assume thatWhen the hammock broke i went to the ground taking the underquilt with me (becuase it hangs under you

Makes sense to me. The UQ Shock cord was likely stretched beyond its elastic limit when the hammock failed. Good for Branden at Warbonnet.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    Makes sense to me. The UQ Shock cord was likely stretched beyond its elastic limit when the hammock failed. Good for Branden at Warbonnet.

Exactly! So not only did my fairly new hammock fail but it took my underquilt with it. Basically putting me out of a couple hundred dollars...

Branden didnt ask any questions except where to send the repair materials. He didnt try to argue with me or give me a hard time. I guess that why I was so disappointed in dream hammock because Im use to great customer service, especially from the cottage manufactures.

!.0 or 1.1 is to light of a fabric for a hammock and Dream hammock realized that way over a year ago and has since stopped making hammocks with that fabric. You did not specify your weight? I would say anyone over 120 lbs is way to heavy for a hammock made from 1.1 oz fabric. I wouldn't bash DH over that that just shows your inexperience with hammocks. Im not being rude here, but everyone is trying to push the envelope on weight and at some point its going to give. Im sure when you bought the hammock you where aware of the fact it was made of a very light weight fabric, DH has weight limits and they where pretty low, I know because I bought one too. Mine has been fine, but I know it has its limitations. I would say both WB and DH are both are great companies as long as you don't try to get something you don't deserve. Sorry for being harsh!

Images

The lighter the weight of the fabric is, the greater the chance of failure. I only have 3 hammocks that I use that are SL, all the others are DL. ( I own 5 BB's ).

Warbonnet use to make hammocks using 1.0 weight fabric but stopped ( my wife has a BlackBird 1.0 DL ). 1.1 weight fabric is the lightest weight fabric they offer now.

Dream Hammocks also stopped making hammocks using 1.0 weight fabric for a time but is now offering it was an option again but not for a SL hammock.

Dutch and Rip Stop By the Roll ( the two main suppliers for some of the cottage hammock manufactures ) have come out with ripstop fabric that is very strong compared to the ripstop that was available a few years ago.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Why would any vendor sell a full size hammock for someone that is less that 120lbs? That's crazy! If they knew the problem, and admitted it...then he has every right to bash them. Everyone is inexperienced when they start out. It would be wise for the vendors to accommodate the "newbs". Then they will buy the rest of their stuff from them. Now if he was warned the limit was 120...and he weighs 300? That's on him. That's what these forums are about...communication. He had a bad customer service experience. If you have one...I'd be glad to know that too. Just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    !.0 or 1.1 is to light of a fabric for a hammock and Dream hammock realized that way over a year ago and has since stopped making hammocks with that fabric. You did not specify your weight? I would say anyone over 120 lbs is way to heavy for a hammock made from 1.1 oz fabric. I wouldn't bash DH over that that just shows your inexperience with hammocks. Im not being rude here, but everyone is trying to push the envelope on weight and at some point its going to give. Im sure when you bought the hammock you where aware of the fact it was made of a very light weight fabric, DH has weight limits and they where pretty low, I know because I bought one too. Mine has been fine, but I know it has its limitations. I would say both WB and DH are both are great companies as long as you don't try to get something you don't deserve. Sorry for being harsh!

As I said there was a weight limit posted, but even I'm guilty of buying something I shouldn't. I 225 lbs and have been using a Dream hammock rated right at my limit and it has been fine for over 30 nights+. I do inspect my equipment daily as I pack and set up as well. As I said not trying to be a d..k but should always do a little research before your buy on anything. DH makes some great stuff and I don't think trashing them or any vendor based on not using the product is ok. I not trying to start a flame war here just maybe letting people know they are not a bad company. Btw I have bought 3 hammocks from PS and all have been awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I understand how weight limits work. Yes, I did extensive research before I bought the hammock. It wasnt my first hammock...

They admitted that they produced and sold a product that is prone to failure, and when mine did they told me I was out of luck. Thats just not good customer service. Plain and simple.

However, until the hammock failed ending my hike and vacation, I really enjoyed it. Simple, lightweight.

Warbonnet did me a solid too. Sent and email about a small failure and the replacement part was in my mailbox within week. Great products backed by great service.

Warbonnet has been great for me. Brandon was a huge help.

[QUOTE=blue indian;2133528]They admitted that they produced and sold a product that is prone to failure, and when mine did they told me I was out of luck. Thats just not good customer service. Plain and simple. QUOTE]

I’m calling BS. There is absolutely no way Randy or Deanna would admit to producing a product that’s prone to failure. Why, you ask? Because that would open themselves up to lawsuits which they would lose.

If you’re going to throw bull**** like this around publicly, prove it. I’m sure Deanna would like to see this topic for herself given their legal disclaimers clearly state that YOU buy at your OWN risk to any failures in the hammocks.

I’d bet you’re overweight for the hammock or damaged the hammock in some way.

Either way it’s pretty poor form to slander a cottage company with such a solid reputation without showing proof of their admittance of producing goods prone to failure.

Show us the proof, I know from experience they prefer to have everything in writing anyway.

They have gone above and beyond for me with three different hammocks over the last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++