WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Easy ways or spices up instant hummus?

We finally got a Lucky's market and they sell the hummus mix in bulk that's pretty good but needs lil something to give it that kick...I've tried adding garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes but any others worth trying? Plan to mix up with room temperature water in my sp600 mug eat with crackers for lunch....any ideas appreciated as I'm a newbie to instant hummus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Olive oil
    Cumin
    Cayenne

Whatever they put in the Sabra supremely spicy hummus....

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Olive oil
    Cumin
    Cayenne

Whatever they put in the Sabra supremely spicy hummus....
    Perfect thx

Images

We add olive oil and one of those little packets of lemon juice to instant hummus - helps a lot.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    We add olive oil and one of those little packets of lemon juice to instant hummus - helps a lot.
    Good call...trying to remember what restaurants have those as it's random...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good call...trying to remember what restaurants have those as it's random...

Many places that serve seafood to go will have the lemon packets. I am not sure who might have olive oil to go...

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Many places that serve seafood to go will have the lemon packets. I am not sure who might have olive oil to go...
    http://www.minimus.biz/Marconi-Organ...1202-1100.aspx

They have other type of olive oil, too.

Thx I already carry lil 1oz container of oil...thx

Garlic
    Images

Dried hummus doesn't have the fat content of tahini and/or olive oil, so I bet that's part of what's missing. Ditto the olive oil. And more garlic, of course.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

EVOO definitely, lemon juice, shredded dried tomato, shredded dried red bell peppers, Sriracha, fresh green onion or dried chives, pine nuts, sunflower or pepita sesame seeds(all found in bulk bins. As said raise the cal/oz ratio up as you crank up the flavor. I'll occasionally reconstitute various dried hummus with coconut oil. If eating with crackers choose one with a high cal/oz ratio, NO HYDROGENATED ANYTHING!, and nutritional profile. I like the Fire Roasted Veggie Kashi or Mary's Gone Crackers Superseed Crackers.

https://www.kashi.com/our-foods/crac...roasted-veggie

http://shop.marysgonecrackers.com/Su...kers@SuperSeed

I'm a hummus at home and on trail fan. I like for a trail snack with crackers or mini bagels/pita(when going no cook) or dolloped over Indian or Mediterranean inspired heated dinners. On trail it's reconstituted dried hummus.

At home try this hummus: OMG good! Three main ingredients are white beans, carrot, Tahini - http://eatwellembracelife.com/zesty-...carrot-hummus/

Want trail envy take along 2 oz packets of guacamole from Trader Joes or Wholly Guacamole. They both are ready to squeeze or scoop out of a packet or small single serving size tub. And, some Herb Goat cheese. Sliced cucumbers. You'll get stares!

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post...uacamole-to-go

http://eatwholly.com/products/classic-100-cal-minis/

I'll do a fruit hummus adding dried chopped apricots and dried mango. GREAT on wraps! With some other wrap regulars - cheese, sprouts, fresh spinach, chicken from a pouch, tuna, mackerel, sardines in EVOO, etc.

I'll post this here.

Single serving Coconut Oil packets nicely strongly sealed from Trader Joes and Carrington Farms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1422787...&ul_noapp=true Just saw this same item on sale at TJ's for $3.99. Bought two boxes.

https://jet.com/product/detail/23218...a:2&code=PLA15 Have seen this sold at Kogers Grocery Stores and at one Wally World.

One more hummus addition. OK two additions. I've reconstituted small dried shrimp bought from Asian markets and even BADIA brand from Wally World and added to reconstituted hummus with EVOO, and a packet of soy sauce or packet of Sriracha(found at Taco Bell or Moes) and added some greens or sprouts to make tasty wraps. The shrimp need a little soak time. Even then the texture is chewy which IMO works well with hummus on wraps as described.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Badia-Dri...&wl13=&veh=sem

AlpineAire recently came out with their Instant Dips, including a "Spicy Southwest Hummus". It already had a decent southwest spice to it, with a hint of Jalapeno spice. Just add water and mix up. Do not focus too much on the amount of water directed to use. Just eye ball it for the right consistency.

Journal Entries
    Images

As it turns out, I'm having instant hummus and Ritz crackers for lunch right now. Our local co-op (home of the Birkenstock and brie crowd) has it in bulk and its pretty good. I use water and EVOO to reconstitute it. I leave it a little thicker on the trail to spread on tortillas. I've been meaning to try some red pepper flakes to add a taste to it.

My wife's homemade hummus is better, but this is easier.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    My wife's homemade hummus is better, but this is easier.
    Have you tried dehydrating your wife's?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Didn't know single serve coconut oil was a thing, I'll be looking out for that!

I usually use the same spices for my dips and hummus as I use for my ramen

Chili Sesame Oil - I've found I love the flavor much more than Olive oil
    Tabasco packets that you can grab at roast beef shops
    Garlic and cumin

My favorite is a combination of a little bit of lime juice, crushed jalapeno flakes, dried crushed cilantro, and dried scallions

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Have you tried dehydrating your wife's?

I have but one wife to dehydrate. But seriously, the lazy factor kicked in, its easier to buy it.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

You know you did not sleep well the night before when you glance over the topics and do a double take because you think you see "Easy ways to spice up instant humans"

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    You know you did not sleep well the night before when you glance over the topics and do a double take because you think you see "Easy ways to spice up instant humans"
    Like dehydrated wives? (Sorry about that one...)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Ground Sumac should work well to spice it up a bit. I like the taste of it and use it as a salt substitute at times. Used it yesterday with dried shrimp fried in coconut oil.

Recipe: Simple Savory Hummus
    http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/recip...ry-hummus.html

Sumac comes from the fruit of a bush indigenous to the Middle East. The bush is actually a member of the cashew family and the fruit is used widely in Turkey and other Arabic countries. Sumac is a main ingredient in the Middle Eastern spice blend Za'atar.

Before the Romans learned of lemons, they used sumac for its sour and pleasantly astringent taste. They called it Syrian sumac.
    Sumac berries are picked, dried and ground into a coarse powder before being used in the cooking process. This powder is used to flavor salad dressings, meats, rice dishes and kebobs. Sumac can also be mixed with other vegetables such as onions and used as a condiment.

A small hand of fresh ginger, cut some fresh spring onions along the way, thyme is found many places as ground cover, they prolly won't miss a sprig, but ask where ya can.

++ New Posts ++