WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Parking at Allen Gap (Hwy NC208/70)

I am taking a group on a one nighter. Can we park at Hwy NC208 (Allen Gap area) for 1 night? One book I have shows parking there, however AWOL and my map do not show parking?? I want to take a group of spring break mid westerners through Big Firescald Knob. I would plan to start at parking at the Sarvis Cove trail.

As always, thanks for the local knowledge.
    SC Ed
    -- My greatest adventure can be tomorrow!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you are leaving a vehicle at TN70/NC208. There is a forest road gate next to an old building with gravel lot along the highway just inside NC. The trail crossing is just inside Tennessee. Easy to miss if driving by it. But I would not park there. Go up Viking Mtn Road a bit to Hemlock Hollow. You can access the trail from Log Cabin Rd.

If you are wanting to hike up Sarvis Cove or drive up Horse Creek. Its pretty steep. You may want to call the FrenchBroad/Nolichucky-Cherokee Forest office for Horse Creek Rd.

The Cleaner is an expert for the area.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 03-03-2017 at 13:31.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Seconded. There are places to leave a car on the highway, but going up the road would be better. A car would probably be safe at 208 but then it might not. Or you can drive all the way to the top and park at Viking Mt. The section that you are talking about is a long uphill pull in the woods. You may wish to consider parking at the top then making an overnight at Jerry Cabin, the balds just past it, or Shelton Graves is a sweet camp spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    There is a forest road gate next to an old building with gravel lot along the highway. The trail crossing is just inside Tennessee. Easy to miss if driving by it. But I would not park there. Go up Viking Mtn Road a bit to Hemlock Hollow. You can access the trail from Log Cabin Rd.

If you are wanting to hike up Sarvis Cove or drive up Horse Creek. Its pretty steep. You may want to call the FrenchBroad/Nolichucky-Cherokee Forest office for Horse Creek Rd.

The Cleaner is an expert for the area.

Images

Good info. I have a new potential plan for those in the area. I have become concerned regarding access to a parking lot I see at the junction of the Sarvis Cove Trail and the AT (anyone know how that unimproved road is?). Is this a better idea. Remember I really want to take a couple of college young adults over Big Firescald Knob. I think it is an awesome place for a 1 nighter.

What if we park at the fork Ridge Trail, hike to AT close to Jerry Cabin, go south on the AT thru Firescald Knob. Spend the night at Little Laurel Shelter, on day 2 hike past NC208 to the Paint Creek Trail and have the second vehicle at the parking lot at the paint creek trailhead.

I am very open to suggestions from you local experts.

Thanks. I am excited to take my son and friends for a 1 nighter on the AT.
    SC Ed
    -- My greatest adventure can be tomorrow!

Parking at Fork Ridge trailhead, good safe parking, it is a hell of an uphill to Jerry Cabin. It would be easy to leave a very negative impression on those who are not accustomed to the southern apps. And since you are that close it is a shame to miss Shelton Graves and the bald between the graves and Jerry Cabin. If you are determined to hike point to point can you go in at Devils Fork Gap and come out near Allen Gap. But honestly and out and back from Viking Mt. to Sheldon graves is what I would recommend because you are not worying about a shuttle or two cars, the parking at Viking is good, it eliminates any huge climb, and that whole ridgeline in Madison County is incredible. Don't waste time in the woods on a long, hard uphill unless you are a glutton for punishment.
    Have fun with your plans.

I know this is an old post, but wanted to ask if you have to contact the Hostel to park at Hemlock Hollow. Thanks in advance for your help!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Best way to find out

if you have to contact the Hostel to park at Hemlock Hollow
    Probably the fastest way to get an answer is to contact the hostel itself
    http://www.hemlockhollowinn.com/

I have tried via email and phone. No luck.

Images

The "Hostel" at Hemlock Hollow is pretty much just a cabin rental for tourists. Since Hattie sold out the new owners never showed the welcome mat to AT hikers. I drove past there last week and it looked empty.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I got a voicemail from them saying they were closed, but no answer as to whether it was okay to park there. Any suggestions on other places to park with easy access to Allen Gap? I’m very hesitant to park at the abandoned gas station.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Either drive up to Hurricane Gap or Jones Meadows on Viking Mtn.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Either drive up to Hurricane Gap or Jones Meadows on Viking Mtn.

Thank You!

++ New Posts ++