WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

With some creativity one can use a silk liner for more than sleeping. I wrap one into a toga at the laundromat. Silky doesn't get as dirty as fast as hiking clothing so less need to wash it every laundromat trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Explain better Rush? R U saying those compression leggings are going to offer as much warmth as a 4.8 oz silk liner w' hood that is cinched up that encloses the whole body and helps warm the entire air space inside a sleeping bag or quilt?

I'm not against compression tights. I have Drskin and 2XU versions for running and possibly day(summiting, etc) or weekend backpacking jaunts in colder weather but they weigh about or more than the specific silk liner I stated and does not offer as much warmth in a sleeping bag than the liner.
    This is just my opinion and my preference, and I'm not a fan of liners. I have used a sleeping bag liner as a bag replacement in warmer weather. Outside of that, I use a properly rated bag for the conditions, so there's no need for a liner to add extra warmth. I prefer the leggings because I like to carry something multipurpose that I use frequently, and if needed I'd wear them in the bag as well.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I've never tried a liner. I don't think I would like that set up. It would probably twist up a lot. I don't like to feel bound up. Especially my feet.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I carried both at the start of my hike. Sent the tights home with winter gear and used the bag liner to keep my bag clean on the warmer nights. It also functioned as a light bag in the summer with my regular bag as more of a quilt for if and when it got cold in the wee hours. But I like to carry extra stuff

-

for a fashion statement I find the sleeping bag liner does better with my figure than tights - your results may vary

I started my thru last year on April 23, and I had plenty of cold nights. Especially in the Smokies. I used both a bag liner and leggings to sleep in. By the time I got to Virginia, I didn't wear my leggings anymore, but I still used the liner. Looking back, I probably could have done without a liner at all, just to save weight. Everything gets dirty eventually. There's no stopping that. I'd rather have to wash my sleeping bag at some point than carry extra weight. But starting out, the liner was kind of nice to have for cold nights.
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Images

I use the S2S silk mummy liner as well. By providing a barrier for body oils and dirt, it tends to help my down bag maintain its loft. YMMV. For 3 season hiking (Apr-Oct in the East south of NY), I no longer carry my lightweight wool long underwear, only the tops. Never used the liner as a toga while doing laundry, but have used my tarp for that purpose when I left my rain wrap behind when I did the AZT.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

A matchbook sized hand towel would be big enough for you. But for us BIG guys we need manly man size fabrics to cover up.

GAME 06

First. Unless you are under doctors orders do NOT wear compression leggings when sleeping. This is not healthy as it can cause significant swelling. While walking they are a huge benefit for everyone (though there is no requirement). As I got older I reached the point after a long day that I would have very bad leg cramps while sitting in camp or around the house and especially when sleeping. After a knowledgeable friend (as in Div 1A athletic trainer) told me to try compression sleeves I was cured. I can hike 30+ miles in a day and have no cramps at all.

Re: the liner base layer thingy.

I have done this both ways and there is a argument for going either way so it is really personal preference.

On the AT I carried a 40deg bag and a liner silk wt. And a silk wt base layer. The OP's liner is hugely heavy at over 1/2 lb (my bag weighed a lb) and his base layer bottoms at 4 oz is a little heavy as well.

As it warmed up over the weeks I stopped using the base layer in the bag and just used the liner (I also carry a pair of sleeping socks which are not worn during the day). When it was warmer still I mailed the bag home and slept in the base layer in the liner. When I got to the White's I had the bag mailed back to me.

I never hike without a silk weight base layer in the pack.

I never wash the bag on a trip. If you wear a base layer or use a liner it is not necessary. In fact my 40deg bag has never been washed and it is 12 yrs old now (though it has been soaking wet a few times so that is sort of washed I guess). When I get home it gets hung in the garage for several weeks and set in the sun and turned inside out and back for a couple of days. Still nice and fluffy and does not stink.

If you are going to be on a colder trail like the PCT or CDT you will need a warmer bag than above obviously. When on those trails I do not carry a liner and just use a base layer and add my down jacket if I get chilly - and I carry a much warmer bag of course.

I prefer something like tights as I get tangled up in a bag liner.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I like my bag liner and my tights, I carry both.
    Yes. Both.

Last year starting from Springer, my 30 degree bag did not do the trick (keep me warm) even with my long underwear, and a couple of layers. I bought a bag liner at Neels Gap and it made all the difference. I was comfortable sleeping after that even when the temperature got into the mid 20's at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    You can keep your bag clean by wearing your sleeping clothes in it instead of your filth from the day. You don't need a liner, imo
    Depending on your hike timing, at some point you might need base layers + down jacket or something to extend that bag comfort rating
    I agree. My sleeping clothes work as a liner and to keep my bag cleaner over time.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhiker View Post
    I hate bag liners. They twist and make it difficult to reach/use your zipper. Sleep clothes will typically be lighter and more versatile.
    Everyone's different, but this is exactly true for me. Liners don't work for me cuz I toss and turn too much. In fact, I can't stand zipping up in mummy mode unless it's very cold. My -15F WM bag is purposely overkill so I won't have to zip up---but have this option when the temps hit 5F or 0F or -10F.

The worst is zipping up your mummy bag inside a zipped up bivy sack---and waking up at 3am in a suffocating panic because one zipper is behind your left ear and the other zipper is at the back of your neck.

Images

I prefer the bag liner.

- Keeps your dirty feet off the bag, as well as your torso, arms, neck, and possibly hair/face. Pair of long johns doesn't keep all the dirt from your sleeping bag.

- When using the sleeping bag as a quilt, it keeps cold drafts from entering and chilling you when you roll over.

- Can be used independently of the sleeping bag a very warm nights, when you just need a little something.

- Can be used in the hostels as a sleep sack when the sleeping bag would be too warm. You get to sleep in your own dirt, not that of everyone who slept on that mattress before you.

- A silk liner is only about 5 oz and packs down MUCH smaller than long johns.

Tights here, no liner. I've got a silk top/bottom for summer that weighs maybe 4 oz. total. In colder seasons, a second base layer.

Whatever base layer you sleep in can't be the one you wear hiking. That won't work. It has to be clean and in the "always-dry" part of your pack. Reserved for lounging at camp and for sleeping. (Ditto for socks you wear while sleeping.)

Ready for it? ANNND, the consensus is there is no consensus...just some shart to mull over.

sounds like a heavy bag liner. Mine weighs 4oz. I also have very light weight silk long johns. haven't really weighed them. But that's what I sleep in and I wear shorts over them if I have to. I have only brought my bag liner once on a trip. It is actually huge for me so I was thinking about taking it to a tailor shop and have them shorten it for me.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Don't shart in your sleeping bag. With or without tights on. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Don't shart in your sleeping bag. With or without tights on. Just sayin...
    Especially if it's from Mexican food.

Images

I almost always wear suuuuper thin long johns (thicker in winter) because I tend to sweat if there's nothing between my skin and my bag. And it keeps my bag cleaner. But I can't stand liners, they always bunch up.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++