WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Liner = Kilt; Light Blanket under a tarp etc.

I find the bag liner to be a very versatile piece of gear. You can wear it like a kilt in camp or laundromat. I hammock camp and use a Borah gear tarp as a rain fly. On warm nights my tarp, pad and liner will make a nice alternative when I want to sleep out. All being said, I also have a pair of REI Co-Op merino wool tights that aren't as versatile....I mean they are just base layer leg coverings....but they are comfy and can be slept in, hiked in, whatever.

TL;DR Just take both on a shakedown hike. Or take them both to Springer. From what I gather people are dropping all kinds of gear in the first few days anyway. Its normal.

Tangor finely got around to saying it. It doesn't have to be a polarizing bad vs good, duality of only two opposing options, or a dichotomy. Everything in life does NOT have to be perceived in that limiting way. Take both, a liner and thermal bottoms/tights, or take none at all or find some other solution. Options. No right way. Differences approaches work for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Tangor finely got around to saying it. It doesn't have to be a polarizing bad vs good, duality of only two opposing options, or a dichotomy. Everything in life does NOT have to be perceived in that limiting way. Take both, a liner and thermal bottoms/tights, or take none at all or find some other solution. Options. No right way. Differences approaches work for different folks.
    Yup. Find what works for you, main thing is you've seen that both are viable options.

I am not a fan of sleeping bag liners.

I am however a huge fan of Terramar Thermasilk thermals. It has been a couple years since I weighed mine but if i recall correctly my set of top and bottoms weigh somewhere between 6-7 ounces. They are thin so you are not going to gain a substantial amount of warmth but they do reduce the nip in the air on chilly mornings. They also allow me to slide and squirm around easier while I try to get comfortable without getting all twisted up like a bag liner would. This works whether in my hammock or tent. But most importantly they keep my quilts and sleeping bags clean. Usually accompanying them is a thin pair of loose fitting sock liners which I use to reduce the transfer of foot crud. On short strips with no other clothing included I use a tiny stuff sack and everything weighs less than 8oz. Also in unexpected cold weather or some sort of emergency I wouldn't think twice about wearing them under my hiking pants while I hike. You can't do that with a bag liner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++