WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Hostels and Shower Shoes

Doing a thru hike starting April 5th. It has been 40 years since I've stayed in a bunk house or hostel. I am taking some sandals for camp shoes and to use as shower shoes when I stay in a bunk house/hostel. Is there a need for shower shoes at hostels?

Yes, unless you want to take your chances with getting various foot ailments that can be transmitted on floors.
    Trillium

I've never bothered with no ill effects, but some of those shower floors are pretty gross. If you have open, raw blisters, that could be a problem, but if you have open blisters, you already have a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

10/10 guys pee in the shower

Not saying you need shoes

but you need to be OK with it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-03-2017 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrail View Post
    Doing a thru hike starting April 5th. It has been 40 years since I've stayed in a bunk house or hostel. I am taking some sandals for camp shoes and to use as shower shoes when I stay in a bunk house/hostel. Is there a need for shower shoes at hostels?
    hostels and bunkhouses are nasty. bring the shoes and tent if possible

Crocs are my choice. They become real handy as the weather warms and for camp shoes.

Never used them,no ill effects,and have never peed in a shower in my life.

If you are already hauling camp shoes by all means wear them in the hostel shower and even if sharing a motel room with other hikers. However, for me no way am I carrying sandals just for showering in N. America. My approach when LD hiking is one pr of shoes. No separate dedicated camp shoes either.

I approach foot fungus very seriously off and on trail as it can keep me from doing what I enjoy... which very often involves being on my feet. Very simply, several essential oils combat foot fungus having very good anti-fungal properties. I typically carry a small tin of Bert's Bees Res Q Ointment that contains essential oils of olive fruit, lavender, rosemary, and comfrey, among other ingredients. If need be I supplement with Tea Tree Oil(TTO) found just about in every pharmacy or grocery store. A little TTO goes a long way. I use it on most rashes, cuts, and the rare blister to dry them out too. I may bounce a small 100% TTO 1 oz bottle though. Rubbing feet with fresh garlic and orange peel can also combat foot fungus. I also get potential insect repellent, moisturizing, anti friction, small wound healing, a fresher scent, anti bacterial, and anti inflammatory benefits. Occasionally I'll find a small bottle of liquid Dr Bronners or Dr B's bar soaps containing these essential oils to scrub feet and the rest of the areas that typically easily pick up odor causing bacteria.

Several of the anti friction runners non greasy creams or liquified powders I've used also have anti fungal components to them when they contain such things as dimethicone. I've used these two products to replace Hydropel which was more expensive. The first works as well as the highly touted on BPL Hydropel. I have to thank Brian Green's blog for introducing me to the Liquified Powder Body Glide.

http://www.medical-supplies-equipmen...eam_16500.html

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/...lqfdpwdrtbxrip

http://briangreen.net/2011/07/hydrop...ed-powder.html

Lastly, I aim to rotate two pr of somewhat breathable socks so that one pr is always somewhat clean, and preferably dry, wash footwear, including footbeds thoroughly routinely, if need be washing with McNett's Mirazyme, and opt for more breathable trail runners whenever deemed acceptable. These products and techniques proactively prevent and treat mild fungal infections for me.

YFMV - Your Fungus May Vary

I'd bring a shower caddy too.

And don't forget one of those electric towel warmers. Gotta have that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The only time I got ever got athletes foot it was from a shower in a respectable hotel, so yes I would wear some sort of shower shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'd bring a shower caddy too.
    With or without loofah?

Journal Entries
    Images

Having been on hikes with and without, in hostels with and without, I prefer to have a pair of 5oz flip-flops in my kit. The UL option, and one I've employed in the Smokies of all places, is to use two large ziploc bags from my first day or two of food to cover my feet. This would work fine in the shower.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

The grimiest part of me when I am on a backpacking trip are my feet. How am I supposed to wash them if I have shoes on? I go barefoot in any shower.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    With or without loofah?
    loofas are heavy, I use my pot scrubber, which is an onion bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    The grimiest part of me when I am on a backpacking trip are my feet. How am I supposed to wash them if I have shoes on? I go barefoot in any shower.

I wear crocs and take one off, stand like a one legged bird and wash one foot, out it back in the croc and do the other one without ever letting my bare feet touch the shower floor. It does take good balance.

Images

Depends on the shower stall. Usually I don't bother, but if gross I might wear my flip-flop camp sandals.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I wear crocs and take one off, stand like a one legged bird and wash one foot, out it back in the croc and do the other one without ever letting my bare feet touch the shower floor. It does take good balance.
    Yep! That's what I do!

Yes, it is true that if you are living in a hostel then you should get shower shoes. This is because there are several kinds of girls or boys lives there and they might have different infections or issues with their health. As we all know that fungus infections or athlete’s foot can happen from person to person if you wear others shoes. It happens that you alternate your shoes with your friends in the hostel which is not a good habit at all. So, you should keep your shower shoes of your own and should not alternate with your friends.

FWIW: I generally don't use shower shoes/camp shoes, and I get athletes foot way to often, most often, actually from gym or swimming pool showers. You'd think I'd learn.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++