WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lyme disease forecast

I've just seen this article on the NPR website, and thought it would be of interest to those heading out to the northern bits of the trail:

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...-the-northeast
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

I was going to post this, too, having heard it on NPR this morning. Our house cat Max, aka Killer, has had a busy winter at ye olde homestead.

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    I've just seen this article on the NPR website, and thought it would be of interest to those heading out to the northern bits of the trail:

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...-the-northeast
    Basic ecology, eh? — a systems approach!

This is rather disheartening.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

That sucks.

Is that a lyme in your pocket or are you just ticked to see me? Ok. I won't quit my day job!

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    . . of interest to those heading out to the northern bits of the trail . . .
    Or those of us that live in the woods in the world Lyme disease epicenter . . .
    Time to stock up on and treat my cloths with permethrin.
    Dog's already got her immunization shots and collar, so she should be fine.
    I wonder when they'll make immunizations available for us humans?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I wonder when they'll make immunizations available for us humans?
    There used to be a human vaccine, and it was discontinued due to lack of sales. Seems like something that could be brought back now.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I got the vaccine when it was available. I'd get it again if I could, as I spend a lot of time hiking and gardening.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I got the vaccine when it was available. I'd get it again if I could, as I spend a lot of time hiking and gardening.
    I did too, seems it was about 25 years ago. And if I remember it was a series of shots.

Considering I live in a relatively rural area of Maryland, which is considered a hot area for Lyme I'd probably get it again.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GAME 06

Actually the vaccine was not discontinued due to lack of sale but more from bad publicity and the anti-science anti-vaccine crowd getting involved.

"Reports of arthritis following Lyme disease vaccination were also given close attention given that Lyme disease itself can cause arthritis. Specifically, scientists had already noted that individuals with a particular genetic constitution were more likely to experience immune responses to Lyme disease that could lead to Lyme arthritis; as a result, they examined the hypothesis that the vaccine could cause Lyme arthritis in patients with that genetic predisposition.
    As research was done to test the hypothesis, the media began to cover the topic heavily. Although stories usually pointed out that no study or research to date had shown that the vaccine could cause arthritis, headlines on the same articles tended to present the issue pessimistically: “Concerns Grow Over Reactions to Lyme Shots,” “Lyme Vaccine May Cause Problems,” and “Lyme Disease Vaccine’s Safety Is Questioned” all appeared in 2000 and 2001.
    Soon, anti-Lyme vaccine groups were formed with the goal of ending the vaccine’s production. A class-action lawsuit was filed, asking SmithKline Beecham to update the vaccine’s label to include the possibility that it could cause arthritis.[x] Other individual lawsuits claimed that the vaccine had caused arthritis and various other adverse effects.
    In 2002, in response to low vaccine uptake, public concern about adverse effects, and class action lawsuits, SmithKline Beecham withdrew the vaccine from the market despite the fact that both pre- and post-licensure safety data showed no difference in the incidence of chronic arthritis between those who received the vaccine and those who had not. Today there are no vaccines available to prevent Lyme disease, and it is unlikely that another will be developed and licensed in the near future – not because of a lack of interest or problems with development, but because of the precedent set by the first vaccine’s ultimate failure in the court of public opinion."

Also the vaccine was only about 78% effective.

To me the cautionary tale in the OP is to stay away from shelters as they are cesspools of mice and filth!

Has anyone had any luck getting a doctor to give them an antibiotic to take with them? I hate the idea of finding a bulls eye and being days and a hitchhike away from a doctor.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    Has anyone had any luck getting a doctor to give them an antibiotic to take with them? I hate the idea of finding a bulls eye and being days and a hitchhike away from a doctor.
    You'e be better off getting your clothes permethrin treated. I had mine professionally done by insectshield.com and have not had a single tick bite while wearing them, which is impressive since I tend to immerse myself in tick habitat while bushwacking and hunting.

As for carrying antibiotic, it's less useful to just carry it with you than you may think. Only a small percentage of lyme transmissions produce a bullseye, so seeing a doctor to diagnose is a better option. Additionally the antibiotic, doxycycline, is nasty stuff and had a number of side effects such as sunlight sensitivity and heavy nausea which make it very unpleasant to take while on the trail, I can confirm this from my own experience.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Actually the vaccine was not discontinued due to lack of sale but more from bad publicity and the anti-science anti-vaccine crowd getting involved.

"Reports of arthritis following Lyme disease vaccination were also given close attention given that Lyme disease itself can cause arthritis. Specifically, scientists had already noted that individuals with a particular genetic constitution were more likely to experience immune responses to Lyme disease that could lead to Lyme arthritis; as a result, they examined the hypothesis that the vaccine could cause Lyme arthritis in patients with that genetic predisposition.
    As research was done to test the hypothesis, the media began to cover the topic heavily. Although stories usually pointed out that no study or research to date had shown that the vaccine could cause arthritis, headlines on the same articles tended to present the issue pessimistically: “Concerns Grow Over Reactions to Lyme Shots,” “Lyme Vaccine May Cause Problems,” and “Lyme Disease Vaccine’s Safety Is Questioned” all appeared in 2000 and 2001.
    Soon, anti-Lyme vaccine groups were formed with the goal of ending the vaccine’s production. A class-action lawsuit was filed, asking SmithKline Beecham to update the vaccine’s label to include the possibility that it could cause arthritis.[x] Other individual lawsuits claimed that the vaccine had caused arthritis and various other adverse effects.
    In 2002, in response to low vaccine uptake, public concern about adverse effects, and class action lawsuits, SmithKline Beecham withdrew the vaccine from the market despite the fact that both pre- and post-licensure safety data showed no difference in the incidence of chronic arthritis between those who received the vaccine and those who had not. Today there are no vaccines available to prevent Lyme disease, and it is unlikely that another will be developed and licensed in the near future – not because of a lack of interest or problems with development, but because of the precedent set by the first vaccine’s ultimate failure in the court of public opinion."

Also the vaccine was only about 78% effective.

To me the cautionary tale in the OP is to stay away from shelters as they are cesspools of mice and filth!
    Hmmm...interesting stuff there. Sounds like even if it were still available I'd probably consider skipping it then.

As for skipping the shelters, I don't think there's any more concentration of ticks near shelters than anywhere else. One can get a tick on them anywhere...my back yard is a good example as those little b@#$%#ds are swarming it during the peak in late spring.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Yeah I always felt that the shelters/established tenting areas offered a good brush cleared area to set up camp and eat. Also another reason I preferred using the privy's as it didn't require tromping through the brush to do your business. Less contact with brush=less chance of those little bastards jumping on board. Another tip, if you didn't get your cloths treated before hand you can pick up some deet and spray your sock tops and boots/shoes and pant legs (if wearing long pants) regularly...seemed to do the trick for me.

Perhaps this forecast would get more attention if it were given by an naked Argentinian...jusn'

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Perhaps this forecast would get more attention if it were given by an naked Argentinian...jusn'
    Well, that would undoubtedly get Senator Mark Sanford's attention!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Clever, very clever !! Best laugh I've had today.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    like chili today hot tamale ever really mattered...ya know.

Take doxycycline with you in case you are exposed or come down with symptoms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++