WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Thumbs up for the AMC's new Thru Hiker Pass and Campsite Program!!!

Just wanted to start a thread for all those wishing to give the AMC a thumbs up for their new Thru Hiker Pass Program in the Whites.

All of the details are listed right here on Whiteblaze's home page.

I will start off:

Way to go AMC! Very nice!!!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Just wanted to start a thread for all those wishing to give the AMC a thumbs up for their new Thru Hiker Pass Program in the Whites.

I will start off:

A link would be nice

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    A link would be nice
    Just click the Whiteblaze "Home" button at the top left corner of the page you are reading this on.

you are presenting efficiency in a complicated way

Here is the information from the Home Page Rickb referred to:

Dear Thru -Hikers,

This year the AMC Campsite Program is excited to roll out a Thru-Hiker Pass program. Geared toward any traditional North bounder, South bounder or section hiker this pass offers a handsome discount through the AMC campsites in the White Mountains. After you spend your first night at one of our sites, every site after that is 50% off at $5.00 a night. Whether you’re crushing it through the Whites and only end up staying at 3 sites or taking your time over the rough terrain and stay at all 9 sites, this pass offers a significant discount. Not to mention with the purchase of the pass you will receive a punch card for two free baked goods and a free bowl of soup redeemable at any AMC hut. Need a headlamp? Extra batteries? By presenting the card at any hut or AMC Trading Post you will receive 10% off any merchandise. In the AMC campsite program we never turn anyone away so you will always have a place to stay at the site, guaranteed. At each site we have bear boxes to store food, durable flat camping areas and a reliable water source. When talking with past thru hikers we realize there are challenges the thru hiker community faces and we hope this pass will mitigate some of those struggles. This pass can be purchased at any of our sites along the AT. When it is time for the caretaker to register you for the night, just mention you are a thru hiker and you will be given the pass. First night is standard pricing at $10.00 and every night after that is 50% off at just $5.00.

The AMC sites that the pass is available at are: Kinsman Pond, Liberty Springs, Garfield Ridge, Thirteen Falls, Guyot, Ethan Pond, Nauman, Imp and Speck Pond.

The pass expires two weeks after purchase and is not transferable.

- Joe

See attachment for more information and contacts

Attached Files

Journal Entries

What was their former deal, something like if you pay at one of their campsites you could use the receipt for 5 more days to stay at others? I seem to recall something like that.

Journal Entries
    Images

What was their former deal, something like if you pay at one of their campsites you could use the receipt for 5 more days to stay at others? I seem to recall something like that.
    To my knowledge the AMC has never offered such discount at the Caretaker Campsites along the AT.

That is just one reason this new program is so cool.

Apart from the significant cost savings, the reduced fee sends a very welcoming message -- as does their inclusion of a free bowl of soup and a couple free baked goods -- not to mention the 10% discount in their commissaries.

But its MUCH better than just the money and the message.

On of the things about these sites is that they can reach capacity relatively early in the day. As a practical matter, those of us familiar with that discover not to worry too much, because things work out -- mostly.

But that popularity presents a bit of extra stress for a Thru Hiker who is likely to arrive late in the day. Imagine busting your hump to arrive at Nauman or wherever, only to be told there is no room. Sure, things usually work out, but still at a minimum hikers worry about such things, right? And sometimes the situation just sucks.

This program does something important -- it guarantees a Thru Hiker space. That is a big deal.

As is the underlying message.

This is good.

I seriously doubt the AMC can guarantee preferential treatment to thru hikers as the campsites are on federal property. The caretakers dont kick anyone out when "full" they just move folks around to maximize the utilization of the existing campsites and have designated overflow areas at each site although some of these sites may be quite distance away. The worst spot by far is Guyot and they seem to manage it even though the overflow sites are basically wide spots between trees.

Two cookies and a bowl of soup too.

It's a good policy and share. THX rick.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I seriously doubt the AMC can guarantee preferential treatment to thru hikers....
    I think what you might agree that over the years individual caretakers have excersized a great deal of discression in dealing with overflow situations. In my experience most have done a great job, but on occasion som have asked hikers to move on outside of 1/4 mile Forest Protection Area.

I would imagine that for some Thru Hikers, arriving late at a caretaker site knowing your stay there that is not a 100% given adds a certain element of stress -- especially for those unfamiliar with how things usually work out.

That why I think this explicit promise to Thru Hikers is terrific:

"In the AMC campsite program we never turn anyone away so you will always have a place to stay at the site, guaranteed."

Even if they may now be extending the same courtesy to others.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If I recall that was the deal for the AT/LT caretaker sites in VT.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

"In the AMC campsite program we never turn anyone away so you will always have a place to stay at the site, guaranteed."

My feeling the is the intent is that this so called guarantee applies to everyone, thru hiker and general public alike. My comment was intended to convey that AMC most likely could not preferentially save space for late thru hikers and not for the general public at large. Realistically even if they make such a guarantee how would it be managed? There is no reservation system for these sites. There could easily be a bubble of thru hikers who are queued up due to nasty weather that heads out to Guyot on a popular weekend. The caretaker may be clueless about this bubble therefore how would they know how many spots to set aside?. Would they force members of the general public to pack up an leave to make space for the unexpected bubble?.

Journal Entries
    Images

So be it.

The larger point is that with this program, the AMC has extended their hand and set out a nice welcome mat for thru hikers and section hikers.

Their leadership deserves to be commended for this, and I (for one) am happy to do so publicly.

Journal Entries
    Images

Anything that benefits section hikers as well gets a thumbs up from me.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

OK, nice move by AMC. Now one last hurdle, a way across the Presidential range. Sill no easy way to do that without a stay at Lakes hut. Only way I see it is a sprint from Mizpah to Madison. Barring that one stretch of trail, I know how to work around the huts...

I'm really happy to see this. As a former AMC campsite caretaker (Liberty Spring '11, Imp '12, I probably met a bunch of y'all!) I see this as a hugely beneficial move for both parties.

Hopefully it will reduce the smack-talk common from thru-hikers towards the AMC. And, the AMC takes a committed step to concentrating camping/cooking/****ting in developed sites. Everybody gets to enjoy the Whites more!

To Rafe's comment, there's always the Jewell trail...... Obviously follow LNT, but a moderate descent off the ridge just north of Washington may provide some viable options.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Jewell trail has a very distinct spot used by thru hikers, there is usually water heading down the slope before you head into the woods. There is a small open flat spot good for a few tents and the surrounding woods have a high enough canopy to find a flat spot. Folks seem to insist on building fire ring in the open spot. It may be below treeline but it is exposed to the weather coming from the west. I sure wouldn't want to spend a night there in a lightning storm as I expect that there could be ground currents heading down slope.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FS may close this spot one of these years, the woods close back in past this point so its another 1/2 to 3/4s of mile downhill until the woods open up again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just reposting this in case anyone missed it.

Here is a description of the AMC Thru Hiker Pass Program on the club's website, offering special discounts, freebies, and reconfiming they guarantee a spot for anyone (no reservation required).

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/bl...-pass-program/

This year the AMC Campsite Program is excited to roll out an Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Pass program. Geared toward any Northbounder, Southbounder, flip-flopper, or section hiker, this pass offers a handsome discount through the AMC campsites in the White Mountains. After you spend your first night at one of our sites, every site after that is 50% off at $5.00 a night.

These fees help to offset the cost of maintaining the site, maintaining the trail, and composting human waste to protect backcountry resources, including drinking water sources.

Whether you’re crushing it through the Whites and only end up staying at three sites or taking your time over the rough terrain and stay at all nine sites, this pass offers a significant discount.
    Not to mention with the purchase of the pass you will receive a punch card for two free baked goods and a free bowl of soup redeemable at any AMC Hut. Need a headlamp? Extra batteries? By presenting the card at any Hut or AMC Trading Post you will receive 10% off any merchandise.
    In the AMC campsite program we never turn anyone away, so you will always have a place to stay at the site, guaranteed. At each site, we have bear boxes to store food, durable flat camping areas, and a water source.

Over the years we have heard a lot of feedback from the thru-hiking community about their experience in the Whites, and we hope this will serve as one step to help better support A.T. thru-hikers as they’re passing through the White Mountains.
    This pass can be purchased at any of our sites along the A.T. When it is time for the caretaker to register you for the night, just mention you are a thru-hiker and you will be given the pass. First night is standard pricing at $10.00, and every night after that is 50% off at just $5.00.

The AMC sites that the pass is available at are: Kinsman Pond, Liberty Springs, Garfield Ridge, Thirteen Falls, Guyot, Ethan Pond, Nauman, Imp, and Speck Pond.
    The pass expires two weeks after purchase and is not transferable.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact Joe Roman, AMC Campsite Program and Conservation Manager, at [email protected].
    You’ll find more resources for hiking the Appalachian Trail in the White Mountains at www.outdoors.org/appalachiantrail. The AMC maintains more than 300 miles of the Appalachian Trail, including 105.4 miles in the White Mountains and the Mahoosucs.

Appalachian Trail, White Mountain National Forest, Trails
    Last edited by rickb; 04-23-2017 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

I will start off:

I see no reason to applaud or encourage their actions.
    Think about it.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

A link would be nice
    Missing?

Chain?

Sausage?

Sorry, had to do it.

Unlike SEVERAL entitled hikers in 2016, I realize the AMC is NOT there for thrus or their wants/needs. And yes, I probably acted entitled one time. However:

While this seems to be fairly decent on the surface, I was upset a couple of times at campsites when I paid for a single and about 2100 hours, had to make room for some other hiker(s) on my SINGLE pad.

I also was not happy at being told I HAD to use a bear-box that was far away from my tent site. I had NO clue who the other campers were and was worried about the safety of my food for a couple of reasons:

1. I had no way to re-supply if something was taken, and yes, I heard anecdotally that some food had been stolen.
    2. On several occasions, walking past a box in the early morning, it was wide open. I mean, literally open, top lid up and open from the first hiker or two who got up earlier than most.

Any-hoo, hope this works for the AMC and the hikers.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

++ New Posts ++