WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What Pack to Take?

Haven't settled on which pack I should get, the one I have "apparently" is too heavy...

So who's carrying what? I know it's "just walking" but I'm curious what others are using and what size they are carrying?

the dude
    "The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes it!"

Leonidas

For an 8-10 day section this July I will be carrying a Granite Gear Virga II. 19oz, 55 litre, sub 20 lb pack weight.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Those Granite Gear's do look nice and seem reasonably priced.
    "The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes it!"

[QUOTE=the dude abides;2133211]Haven't settled on which pack I should get, the one I have "apparently" is too heavy...

So who's carrying what? I know it's "just walking" but I'm curious what others are using and what size they are carrying?

the dude[/QUOTE

Size and type depend on the volume of your gear and it's base weight. If you know that you will get better answers.

thom

So far these are my core four that I'm taking...

vodka.pngkahlua.jpeghalf.jpgrug.jpeg

I'm shooting for a sub 20lb base weight

Last calculation was 18.7 lb, some items have changed.

Not thru hiking the AT for a couple more year but I am doing some shorter hikes (80-100 milers) and have been carrying the Granite Gear Lutsen 55 L for these. Love this pack and I am very impressed with the adjustable torso and waist system. If I was in the market for a new pack I would probably check out the just released Granite Gear Crown 2 that is a 60L pack. Looks like it is going to be a good one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the dude abides View Post
    So far these are my core four that I'm taking...

vodka.pngkahlua.jpeghalf.jpgrug.jpeg

I'm shooting for a sub 20lb base weight

Last calculation was 18.7 lb, some items have changed.

Dude, that rug will really tie the shelter together.

I had an Osprey Volt 75. Touch large and heavy, but MUCH better than my JanSports. Up to 3 pounds lighter, pack alone.

The outside mesh pockets had holes in them 2189.1 miles and 7 months/4 days later, but I was happy with the fit and feel. I bought an extra just in case the first one failed, but it never did.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Dude, that rug will really tie the shelter together.
    Thanks! Who needs one of those therm-a-whatever neoairs????

I tried on an Osprey Volt, had a hard time closing the zippers on the side pockets on the hip belts, figured that would be frustrating long term.

DW, that Lutsen looks nice, I saw a guy carrying one two weeks ago on a tune up over-nighter, but didn't get a chance to ask him how he liked it. We exchanged some conversation on the trail path but didn't notice his pack till he walked away.

That Crown 2 looks nice, seems like it has some nicer features than the Virga II JC uses, the Virga looks like a stripped down travel light, freeze at night pack. I need some comfort carrying that rug and all those bottles!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Haven't settled on which pack I should get, the one I have "apparently" is too heavy...

the dude
    What kind of pack do you have and who says it's too heavy. More importantly what do you think of the pack that you already have, is it comfortable and does it work for you? Unless the person that claims it is too heavy is the same person that is carrying it, does their opinion really matter?

To answer your question, my current 3 season pack is a ULA Circuit and I'm very happy with it.

If you are planning a Northbound thru hike you can always start with your existing pack to see if it works for you.

Around mile 30 the trail passes directly through Mountain Crossings outfitters. If you decide by then that your pack isn't working, you can get fitted for and purchase a lighter pack while you are there.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    What kind of pack do you have and who says it's too heavy. More importantly what do you think of the pack that you already have, is it comfortable and does it work for you? Unless the person that claims it is too heavy is the same person that is carrying it, does their opinion really matter?
    According to the internet, (and I believe everything that's on the internet is true) my pack weighs in at 2 ounces shy of 6lbs. Not to mention, it is over 20 years old.

I'm hoping to find something in the 3lb range and thus free up 3 lbs so I can carry an extra "bottle or two of supplies"

It's comfortable for weekend trips, just looking to drop my base weight for a thru.

I used a ULA Catalyst and then a Ohm 2.0. You will be much happier with a lighter load. ULA makes some really nice stuff designed for long distance hiking with great customer support. Buy American!

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Buy American!

You sound like Walter!

I used a 25 year old external frame pack for two years, while I adjusted and changed my gear with the thought of a Thru Hike. Best advise given to me was to purchase the pack last; after the final base weight and needed capacity is finalized. Once I got base weight under 20lbs and figured food/water adding another 10, I chose ULA for the reasons other post have mentioned above.

After researching and narrowing my models down to the Circuit and Ohm, I ended up choosing the ULA Ohm 2.0. Here is the box opening Video: http://youtu.be/A63ol2qU5kY if interested.

I would suggest the same advise. Use the pack you have (if possible), keep getting into the woods to figure out your other gear needs and purchase the pack that meets those needs last.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I have a Kelte Santa fe 4000 pack that I modified quite a bit to shave weight off it, but still keep its integrity (what works for me). I think the stock weight is around 6 pounds but now weighs in at 2 even. That got me working on the rest of my gear, but that's another story. Haha
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries

the dude
    What makes you think its too heavy?

An average pack is fine for the average thru hiker. Light weight hikers have grown to be waaaayyyy overrepresented here.

Im all for UL, as Im pretty light, but when people are made to start to feel their gear isnt good enough, or isnt light enough...theres a problem. The vast majority of hikers are carrying average packs, and theyve been making it to Katahdin for years just fine. Only a couple years ago these conversations about pack weight were relegated to the UL forum........now its throughout the general.

I carry a very light pack..to hike moderately high mileage. 18-25 mpd, or occassionally more, almost every day I spend on trail. If I was starting an AT thru and moving at 10-12 with the herd, I wouldnt worry much about the pack. Easier to leave stuff behind than spend $300 to save 1-2 lb.

It might make it easier, but hike faster than others and youll will always be leaving people you meet behind.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-08-2017 at 21:51.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a hyperlite mountain gear Southwest 3400 55l it weighs 2.1 I feel weight at 30# with the HMG. But will only push close to 30 with a big resupply and water. My base weight is right now at 18 lbs. It has one large main compartment 3 outside pockets of good size. The hip belt pockets are kinda narrow but ample. Its cuben fiber I opted for the thicker black version and its pretty bullet proof and 99% water proof. I use a poncho so I don't worry about a pack liner or rain cover. Its pretty good at distribution of the weight IMO. I don't have many miles with it yet I just got it after Christmas time but my first impressions are good and I would probably recommend it to a friend. I also have a mystery ranch glacier 70l I start to feel it at 40# I really like the way it is laid out I can put my hammock and tarp in the bottom sleeping bag compartment and it has 4 nice big pockets for everything but clothes and quilts. It weighs 4.8 it has no hip belt pockets its very water resistant but would need a pack cover or poncho. It is also bullet proof. I have not yet made up my mind which pack is for me I like things about both of them and there are things I'm not as fond of with both of them. For me it will come down to which one is more comfortable and user friendly. My base weight will be 20 or less either way which will keep me at a total pack weight less then 30.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Unless your pack is like 8lbs...Just run whut cha brung

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Unless your pack is like 8lbs...Just run whut cha brung
    I was hoping that someone with experience would tell me that it's okay for me to use my Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane at a svelte 6 pounds 12 ounces.
    Thank goodness I have a 3 pound alternative.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I was hoping that someone with experience would tell me that it's okay for me to use my Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane at a svelte 6 pounds 12 ounces.
    You might want to check out the Mystery Ranch Terraplane, if your looking for a lighter pack......

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thank goodness I have a 3 pound alternative.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Terraplane is a fine pack if you need the capacity. I used mine when my kids were young, and when I led group trips. I still use it for big winter loads. It's so comfy you don't notice the weight at all, until you walk up hill.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++