WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Base layers with quilts - light, midweight, thermal weight?

In terms of wearing base layers with quilts, what are you people out there sporting? I am switching to a quilt and just ordered a EE Hoodlum and a EE Revelation APEX 30* quilt for three-season backpacking. For temperatures in the 40s, what types of base layers are you people wearing to sleep? I was planning on Capilene Lightweight base layers (long sleeve zip top and pants). Is this a sufficient setup with a Patagonia Nano Air jacket for colder nights?

should be perfectly fine in 40s with those base layers. When you get into mid 30s, your hood & nano air should suffice
    you'll have to see if you can push 30 with that. 30 and below, r-value on your pad becomes crucial. Standard 3 season (around 3+ r value) should work for 30s and up

hard to say though... that's just based on my quilt experience

Images

I prefer sleeping in lightweight base layers (merino wool for me but capilene is fine too). That would work fine for me in the 40s with a 30F rated EE quilt.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Thanks for the responses! When the quilt comes in (I believe the lead time is approximately 4 weeks), I'll absolutely have to try this. I prefer lighter base layers as well, but, like I stated before, my experience with quilts is nil to this point. I suspect I should have a smooth transition though since I ordered my EE Revelation APEX with a wider (58") width (I'm a side sleeper, so I'm hoping to mostly eliminate draft issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    should be perfectly fine in 40s with those base layers. When you get into mid 30s, your hood & nano air should suffice
    you'll have to see if you can push 30 with that. 30 and below, r-value on your pad becomes crucial. Standard 3 season (around 3+ r value) should work for 30s and up

hard to say though... that's just based on my quilt experience
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I prefer sleeping in lightweight base layers (merino wool for me but capilene is fine too). That would work fine for me in the 40s with a 30F rated EE quilt.

Garlic
    Images

I have a normal length EE RevX quilt, am 5-10, and do not need a hood. The quilt is long enough to pull over my head as a hood when I'm on my side. I only need to wear clothing (light base layer jersey) when close to rated temp, otherwise I sleep with clothing between me and the pad.

I don't normally dwell much on gear, but that quilt is among the best outdoor gear purchases I've ever made.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

usually, I'll wear whatever weight baselayer at night that is appropriate in the day. that means tshirt and boxers in summer on out until it is too cold at night to go pee wearing that.

down to about freezing a pair of polypro tights and long sleeve top is good, maybe throw a lightweight fleece top and cap on.

below that, I've got polypro or merino base layer top and bottom, plus thin poly or nylon pants and fleece up top. can add puffy if needed...

Quote Originally Posted by dad love mom View Post
    In terms of wearing base layers with quilts, what are you people out there sporting? I am switching to a quilt and just ordered a EE Hoodlum and a EE Revelation APEX 30* quilt for three-season backpacking. For temperatures in the 40s, what types of base layers are you people wearing to sleep? I was planning on Capilene Lightweight base layers (long sleeve zip top and pants). Is this a sufficient setup with a Patagonia Nano Air jacket for colder nights?
    I would be just fine - toasty and warm with what you are planning. Backyard (or weekend quick trip on-trail) testing always a good idea.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I used a set of light weight thermals and a bag liner with my 30 degree quilt in my z-packs duplex tent. I found the quilt without the bag liner was too cold at the start especially with the wind that was blowing in April and May in the South. It may have been a bit warmer if I had brought the sleeping pad attachment system that came with the quilt but I didn't. Keep in mind that there were two nights that I wore everything I had and was still cold. Flexibility is key.

++ New Posts ++