WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I guess at least the bear can step on you and your tent if he needs another inch or two.......just sleep with it or do it effectively.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can finally report out as promised on the tent I recieved from Big Sky International. As has already been discussed, the wait time wad long and communication from the company was nearly non-existent (FOR ME), but I'm not going to post my thoughts on that issue now; this is a report on the tent.

Big Sky offers several tents with several different options, and ordering is done in an "a la cartè" fashion. The tent that I ordered was the Revolution 2p, with the "porch" option. I ordered the mesh netting interior, and 17" ultra-light aluminum poles. In addition, I also purchased their "recommended" stake set (six 12cm Ultra-C stakes, two 14cm Ultra-C stakes, and two 15cm "Tube Steaks") and a guy line set (4 reflective Dyneema lines and four 20cm Tube Steaks.) I also purchased a tubular compression sack for the whole bit.

According to the weights listed on the website, I calculated that the tent, with all of my options, would weigh 54.1oz (or 3lbs, 6oz). The tent that I received, with all options, weighs exactly 54.1oz.

Big Sky's website lists the following dimensions for this tent (I've converted to inches):
    Length: 90.5"
    Width at head: 53.1"
    Width at foot: 47.2"
    Inner height at peak: 42.1"

I measured my tent with the following dimensions:
    Length: 89"
    Width at head: 51"
    Width at foot: 45"
    Inner height at peak: 42"

So the actual measured length of my tent is shorter than advertised by approximately 1.5", and shorter in width by roughly 2". These deviations in measurement do not affect or bother me -- I'm a 5'5" female, and I purchased this two-person tent to be used by myself, alone. I find the tent to be perfectly sized for my purposes.

Setting up the tent is pretty straightforward -- although I was thrown off by the "porch" configuration and the enclosed instructions don't account for that. I had to find some pics online and zoom in to see what I was doing wrong. After I figured out my error, I found that set-up is very easy, fast, and efficient...even for someone as awkward and uncoordinated as myself.

The quality and workmanship is excellent in my opinion. All seams are sewn straight and even; there are no loose threads or excess material. Two floor seams running the length of the tent are taped. There is nothing sloppy about the construction of this tent.

The color "Granite Grey" is actually much lighter than it appears on the website. It is a subdued color, and it allows a lot of daytime light in. The floor is described as "dark olive green". The bathtub floor rises 6" around the entire tent. There are four pockets incorporated into the mesh netting -- two on either side at the head, and two larger, deeper ones on either side at the foot end.

The fly has two vents on either side, and they can be manipulated open or closed easily from the inside. The vestibules extend to 26" out at their maximum reach, and the vestibule flaps have the nice feature of a very small buckle at the bottom, which can allow for the doors to stay closed with the zipper open -- for added ventilation in light rain, etc. The "porch" pole extends the ceiling of the vestibule out by about 9"...which adds some very useful space.

So far I've only had this tent out in fair weather, but the rain will come soon enough, and I'll see how it holds up to rain and wind.

I've spent several hours going over this tent with a critical (and picky) eye, and haven't found anything to criticize. I am very pleased with this tent.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I just got mine, too. My tent is a trade in Evolution 2P. I, too, have been frustrated by the communication. I remember that I was last time, too. But I just put up my new tent. It's beautiful. The stitching is great, the size is large, there are two side doors and vestibules, it has those pockets you mentioned and, well, it appears to be as good a tent as the last one. I've been trying to get an e-mail response from him for a week or so, and no dice on that, but I have my tent, and it's really nice.

Spent the last week out with my Revolution, and I think that I may like this tent more than my house.

It seems as though they might have treated the floor in some way to make it "anti-slip". It's not sticky of course, but I noticed nothing slid around or down slope like i thought it woud.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++