WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I'd love to see a chart showing age of folks that reject poles.(maybe also considering fitness level and or experience)
    The folks that post comments that basically make the idea of using poles seem stupid, I mean....

My guess is that a high percentage of them are younger folks in great shape.....and maybe the occasional older folk that's in great shape.... or perhaps folks on flat ground

I've never used them....but then my backpacking experience was a long time ago. Since, I've tried to use hiking staffs a few times and just found it awkward and not helpful..... but that was a staff and on day hikes when not carrying a heavy pack. Now that I'm older (and only average shape), and as I prepare to do some backpacking again, I read threads like this with interest.....makes sense in my thinking that I might want to learn to use them.
    The poles are much different than hiking with a staff. A completely different experience. And hiking with a pack is much different than hiking without one.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I'd love to see a chart showing age of folks that reject poles.(maybe also considering fitness level and or experience)
    The folks that post comments that basically make the idea of using poles seem stupid, I mean....

My guess is that a high percentage of them are younger folks in great shape.....and maybe the occasional older folk that's in great shape.... or perhaps folks on flat ground...
    I've seen some folks in their 40's to late 70's who are not necessarily in great physical shape or highly backpacking experienced mindful of how to hike/walk/backpack in a low impact efficiency of motion heedful of protecting the body way not using trekking poles. Then I've seen oodles of 20 yr olds in great physical condition using trekking poles too to great advantage.

My height, or lack of, plays a big part in my use of trekking poles. At barely over 5', when climbing, it's much easier to use my hands to push off the ground or to grab roots/branches, than it is to dig my poles into the ground and grind down on them with my forearms. I think it's lowering my center of gravity when pushing off the ground that makes it easier...using more of my core strength (?).

"Climbing" for me includes man-made steps and rocks that most people easily traverse but come to my shins and knees...which is just about any trail with increasing elevation.

I also hike faster without them, relying on my natural gait.

Still, they accompany me on every trip but they are Z poles so are easy to fold up and pack away.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 03-12-2017 at 22:16.

I've found trekking poles to be very useful on uphills and downhills, and certainly stream crossings. My 58 year old knees would not be in as good shape as they are now without them. That said, they are useless to me on relatively flat terrain and I just hold them in one hand or put them away. They are also useless, and potentially dangerous, in very steep, rocky ascents and descents (think parts of the White Mountains). You need two feet and two hands in some of those areas, and trekking poles just get in the way or provide a false sense of security/stability.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++