WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    BTW, I finally found those $30 CF trekking poles at my local Costco and nabbed a pair. Someone here at WB posted about them ages ago, but my local Costco didn't have 'em and knew nothing about them. So finally they showed up, out of the blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Costco puts them on display every spring, along with other seasonal merchandise...

If you can't find them, they are these....

https://www.cascademountaintech.com/...les-p/1006.htm

And, yes, you absolutely must use hiking poles on the AT or you will be cited by the Pole Police. They are also a requirement for summiting Whitney. And, you absolutely must wear the pole loops in case of a fall....
    I was at my local Costco today and saw them as well. I don't need a pair since I'm happy with my BD poles, but they looked decent.

image.jpg
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I was at my local Costco today and saw them as well. I don't need a pair since I'm happy with my BD poles, but they looked decent.

image.jpg
    I have for some time felt a bit guilty for parroting the recommendation for folks to buy these without actually having used them myself. Skurka's a great guy and uber knowledgeable, but it never hurts to see for yourself.

Wife and I aren't members of Costco so I got some on Amazon prime for $44 and change... still pretty cheap for carbon poles.

I used them on a quick overnighter with a newbie friend of mine (who was also using them) and on a short dayhike with my dog... grand total of 17.6 miles, lol... and they seem pretty darn decent although they do rattle a bit. And Skurka's recommendations to change out the plastic cam nuts (sooner) and tips (later) are spot-on, although it's far too early to tell if the ones I bought have the non-durable tips or the durable ones that some have reported.

The pole sections operated smoothly and the flicklocks worked well. We used them to pitch our shelters (Duomid and LHG Solo) and they worked fine.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-11-2017 at 10:05.

After seeing Skurka's Sierra Design's High Route 1FL, a 2pound 5ounce single-person tent, I no longer have any reason to value his opinion on ultralight hiking. Either he completely sold out or he's completely mad....37 ounce one-person tent...ULTRALIGHT????? Ummmmm......yeah....no. No f'ing way. Worst yet, that weight is WITHOUT POLES. FFS....what a brick...nice design work, Skurka...

OMG. Doesn't sound like he's selling out!

He starts off his review in context openly stating he's able to self critique imperfections.
    Imperfections: A self-critique of the Sierra Designs High Route Tent

by Andrew Skurka on JUNE 22, 2016 in SHELTERS, SIERRA DESIGNS 41 TAGS: HIGH ROUTE TENT

It’s not perfect, and — depending on your trip conditions, personal preferences, and recreation budget — it may not be the most appropriate shelter for you. In a perhaps refreshing change of tone, I’d like to discuss real and perceived flaws of the Sierra Designs High Route Tent 1FL, and in some cases explain why they exist.

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/sierra-...imperfections/

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    OMG. Doesn't sound like he's selling out!

He starts off his review in context openly stating he's able to self critique imperfections.
    Imperfections: A self-critique of the Sierra Designs High Route Tent

by Andrew Skurka on JUNE 22, 2016 in SHELTERS, SIERRA DESIGNS 41 TAGS: HIGH ROUTE TENT

It’s not perfect, and — depending on your trip conditions, personal preferences, and recreation budget — it may not be the most appropriate shelter for you. In a perhaps refreshing change of tone, I’d like to discuss real and perceived flaws of the Sierra Designs High Route Tent 1FL, and in some cases explain why they exist.

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/sierra-...imperfections/
    The tent is a bad joke. Very bad. He knows it. Hence, the "real and perceived flaws" little article of his that starts off with an obvious nod to the imperfections. It's nonsense. The width of the interior net is only 30 inches....essentially useless for any 25 inch pad. Useless. The best he could do with 2 pounds 5 ounces was a 30 inch floorspace width? Crazy stupid bad design. The BA CSUL2Platinum weighs an OUNCE LESS, has TWICE THE FLOORSPACE, IS FREE STANDING and THE WEIGHT INCLUDES THE POLES. It's also double-walled. Sorry. Aint buying the snakeoil. Seriously, who would buy this POS brick?????

Wow....so NOT classy.

Personally, I would reserve such vitriol for something I had actually used.

I think Skurka's comments and the give-and-take in the readers' comments section reflect an openness to discuss its shortcomings and strengths. Not my cuppa joe but some people seem to have had good experiences with it in some demanding conditions.

Regardless, my initial impression that the CMT poles are "pretty darn decent" stands.

And upon further inspection of the plastic cam nuts, they have brass or aluminum 'inserts' (the plastic is molded around them, most likely) that might actually last a good long while if they are tightened juuust enough to prevent slippage and no more. Easy to see, however, that overcranking them could cause premature failure.

I just started using poles a couple years back. They really help me now that I know how to use them. And now I am "all in" as I bought a zpacks tent that requires poles for pitching.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Wow....so NOT classy.
    Classy? I don't really GAD. But, I'm thankful that I'm not the one who sold my rep and cred on this thing. I gave him a pass on the Victorinox pocket knife ad. This? Pffffft. He made his bed. His sycophants are just that. Bleeding apologists for the master who sold his cred to get paid for putting his name on a 2 pound 5 ounce, 30 inch wide, non-freestanding brick. I think somebody compared that inner net to sleeping in a coffin...quite apropos for both the tent and his rep...

If you're using drugs, stop. If you aren't, start.

That's some first-class, overblown drama queenery there.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If you're using drugs, stop. If you aren't, start.

That's some first-class, overblown drama queenery there.
    And, thanks for your addition of precisely....nothing.

You don't like my opinion? My suggestion is that rather than bashing mine, get one of your own and post it. If it's not too much trouble...

Images

Do I really need trekking poles ?

It's a good thing to have to save the knees on steep downhills. Not exactly necessary on relatively flat hiking sections and they're useless on bouldering sections of the AT up north.
    I will say though, this past week my trekking poles became invaluable in a totally new way. After a heart attack befell me while hiking I was left unable to get up on my own power.
    Using my trekking poles I managed to pull myself up and then leaned heavily on them to get moving again .

It really comes down to personal preference but the older you get the more useful they become.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Wow. Panties. Bunched. Two whole pounds and five ounces? Seems fairly light to me....

Its funny when the UL guys turn on one of their own.

Classy? I don't really GAD. But, I'm thankful that I'm not the one who sold my rep and cred on this thing. I gave him a pass on the Victorinox pocket knife ad. This? Pffffft. He made his bed. His sycophants are just that. Bleeding apologists for the master who sold his cred to get paid for putting his name on a 2 pound 5 ounce, 30 inch wide, non-freestanding brick. I think somebody compared that inner net to sleeping in a coffin...quite apropos for both the tent and his rep...

I missed that story. Didn't know anyone had their name on a tent.

Find a stick and try hiking with that for the day. You'll save a lot of money that way and by the end of the day when you've decided you don't need hiking poles you won't have a pair of useless poles in the back of the closet. Most people have never needed poles to assist them with walking. I've hiked hundreds and hundreds of miles across all kinds of terrain and never needed poles. I'd need a pretty compelling reason to spend $40 to $100 on a pair of sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Find a stick and try hiking with that for the day. You'll save a lot of money that way and by the end of the day when you've decided you don't need hiking poles you won't have a pair of useless poles in the back of the closet. Most people have never needed poles to assist them with walking. I've hiked hundreds and hundreds of miles across all kinds of terrain and never needed poles. I'd need a pretty compelling reason to spend $40 to $100 on a pair of sticks.
    so have I. But I was amazed at how the poles made a difference.

I still don't use them for walking. Or running with a light pack. But hiking with 30lbs or so(or more) they really made a difference for me.

Costco puts them on display every spring, along with other seasonal merchandise...

And, yes, you absolutely must use hiking poles on the AT or you will be cited by the Pole Police. They are also a requirement for summiting Whitney. And, you absolutely must wear the pole loops in case of a fall....
    Thanks for the link. I've trashed a pair of BD poles on my thru, BD sent a replacement pole but I've had another on the second pair I bought fail. I'd like to use
    the two I have left for long trips but I need something cheaper for training hikes.

Do I need trekking poles? No. Are they helpful when hiking high mileage days day after day? Absolutely. Do I need them to walk or do a short training hike in good weather? No. Will I spend $40-$100 to take pressure off my knees, keep me from slipping, falling and possibly getting injured, and hiking more miles meaning more views in a day than I would otherwise? Yes.

Amazon also has the quick-lock version instead of twist. Just a few more dollars, but so much mor convenient.

Cascade Mountain Tech 100% Carbon Fiber Quick Lock Trekking Poles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJP43FA..._89yXyb8CE94KT

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    I missed that story. Didn't know anyone had their name on a tent.
    https://sierradesigns.com/high-route-1-fl/

I'd love to see a chart showing age of folks that reject poles.(maybe also considering fitness level and or experience)
    The folks that post comments that basically make the idea of using poles seem stupid, I mean....

My guess is that a high percentage of them are younger folks in great shape.....and maybe the occasional older folk that's in great shape.... or perhaps folks on flat ground

I've never used them....but then my backpacking experience was a long time ago. Since, I've tried to use hiking staffs a few times and just found it awkward and not helpful..... but that was a staff and on day hikes when not carrying a heavy pack. Now that I'm older (and only average shape), and as I prepare to do some backpacking again, I read threads like this with interest.....makes sense in my thinking that I might want to learn to use them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++