WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Roan Highlands 10 days hiking suggestions, where and what month?

looking for ideas on starting points and the time of the year that would be best for trail traffic and weather. We have 10 days to hike. Very active and in good shape just not experienced hikers. Hope to spend more time on the trail than in hostels.

near the end of June is when the rhododendrons are blooming...

Journal Entries

Erwin to damascus, about 120 mi, start first or second week june. Rhodies peak 2-3 week june at roan.

Journal Entries

If you have time, include an out-and-back on the Grassy Ridge Trail a little north of Carver's Gap (only about a mile each way, I think). Very beautiful through this area in June.

Images

I took this walk from 17June thru 22 June last year. The weather was perfect. The Rhodies, Flame Azalea, Rasberry, Fire Pinks, Greys Lily were all blooming! I can.t wait to get back some day!

I went last june, 18, 2016 and I would call it perfect. We had a cold front, and it was indeed pretty cold. But as far as the the flowers in bloom, they were perfect. I will be going back in June this year, perhaps several weekends in a row.

The highlands section is only 15 miles long. I have been tempted after completion of the AT, to take 4-5 days and walk the section back and forth. Hard to see everything in just one trip

For a linear stretch of trail, Hughes gap to Damascus would be 97 miles. I assume when you say you have 10 days to hike, that would include 2 days of travel. If that's the case, you could do 10-12 miles a day and still have your travel time. If you wish to do more then 97 miles, and have 10 full days to hike, I would strongly suggest Carvers gap, NC - Fox Creek VA
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Late summer - the end of August and early September - are also spectacular in the Carolina and Tennessee high country. The weather is usually nice and the fields and flowers are already transitioning to dormancy, so that it's as if you walked into a dried flower arrangement. June is also spectacular but can be crowded, especially on weekends. Usually late summer isn't as busy, if that's a concern. And, earlier in August - perhaps around the 5th or so, the blueberries are ripe. There's something to be said for backpacking high country and having a nice snack while you admire your surroundings.

Images

Gee, I forgot to mention the Lovely Red Head that Gambit was walking with that day on Hump Mtn!

My favorite place to hike, ever, is the Roan Highlands. Damn it's pretty out there.

I really need to check out this June window, sounds amazing. I had the pleasure of doing it once in late Fall, and the colors and scenery around me were amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I took this walk from 17June thru 22 June last year. The weather was perfect. The Rhodies, Flame Azalea, Rasberry, Fire Pinks, Greys Lily were all blooming! I can.t wait to get back some day!

Such great help! thanks!

Decisions as to when now! Thanks so much!

That sounds like a great addition!!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Gee, I forgot to mention the Lovely Red Head that Gambit was walking with that day on Hump Mtn!
    It was overrated
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I went last june, 18, 2016 and I would call it perfect. We had a cold front, and it was indeed pretty cold. But as far as the the flowers in bloom, they were perfect. I will be going back in June this year, perhaps several weekends in a row.

The highlands section is only 15 miles long. I have been tempted after completion of the AT, to take 4-5 days and walk the section back and forth. Hard to see everything in just one trip

For a linear stretch of trail, Hughes gap to Damascus would be 97 miles. I assume when you say you have 10 days to hike, that would include 2 days of travel. If that's the case, you could do 10-12 miles a day and still have your travel time. If you wish to do more then 97 miles, and have 10 full days to hike, I would strongly suggest Carvers gap, NC - Fox Creek VA

Thank you so much for the help! We will have 10 or 11 full days to hike on the trail. Excited to start getting some pretty firm trails and dates in mind to work towards. Any other suggestions are always welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    If you have time, include an out-and-back on the Grassy Ridge Trail a little north of Carver's Gap (only about a mile each way, I think). Very beautiful through this area in June.
    This sounds like it would be a great addition to our hike and this area seems like it will be beautiful then. Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    Late summer - the end of August and early September - are also spectacular in the Carolina and Tennessee high country. The weather is usually nice and the fields and flowers are already transitioning to dormancy, so that it's as if you walked into a dried flower arrangement. June is also spectacular but can be crowded, especially on weekends. Usually late summer isn't as busy, if that's a concern. And, earlier in August - perhaps around the 5th or so, the blueberries are ripe. There's something to be said for backpacking high country and having a nice snack while you admire your surroundings.
    Such decisions, both times sound great! Thanks

The most beautiful place I've ever been, seriously. Going up Hump Mountain out of Overmountain Shelter at dawn was breathtaking. We did it last Memorial Day weekend. Got shuttled from Mountain Harbour down to Indian Grave and hiked back. 42 miles I think... 2 nights for us. Memorial Day is a very busy weekend on the trail in that area, but that's when we had time so we went. Plenty of tent space at Overmountain.... Here's my blog post with a link to a gallery: http://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2016/0...ve-to-19e.html

I am headed to this section next week. Any advice would be most appreciated. It will be my first section hike.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Carvers to 19E easy overnighter. Keep an eye on the Rays Weather to gauge temps.
    Park at Mtn Harbour B&B
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Erwin to 19E...park at Uncle J in Erwin or MH at 19e both should be able to arrange a shuttle and have safe parking...great section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++