WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default 5 day hike from Harper's Ferry ?

I am getting back into backpacking and am looking to do a possibly five day hike in April starting in Harper's Ferry arriving via Amtrak. I would spend either my first or last day in town and then hike part of the Appalachian Trail. I would like to know which direction would be the most interesting way to go for an out and back multi day hike spending at least four nights on the trail. Should I go North or South for the most interesting route. Is there a way to make arrangements with a local company to get a vehicle ride back to Harper's after reaching a certain town or would I have to plan on hiking out and back.

Regarding the AT Guide book which I have never seen. What makes the one for Northbound better if that is the direction you are going and is it at least somewhat useful if you were doing some week long trips southbound. I wonder how useful this would be for my out and back hike and which direction book I should get.

Images

South, very nice shelters, roller coaster is fun, 2 great hostels, check ATC for list of shuttle drivers.

North has lots of history and some nice views. And yes, use the ATC shuttle list on their site.

++ New Posts ++