WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Krave Bars

Default Krave Bars

Low sugar high protein meat bars. Had the Turkey Cranberry Thyme which was delish. Every ingredient is easily known in plain real food English without needing a chemistry or food science textbook to understand. Perhaps a higher cal/oz ratio than tuna in foil packets in safflower or soy oil. l

Interesting. I'll be on the lookout for them.
    I have been a Krave Jerky fan for years. I have about 3 pounds stashed for future trips. Good stuff.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

my wife an I were driving up to watch my daughter play ball a few weeks ago.
    Turned out that Pilot was having Krave jerky on sale, buy one get one free or such.

We bought a bunch.

-

5 oz for 11$ + shipping

vs cliff bars 14 oz for 6$ at wallyworld

about 4 times the price per oz

might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but in 2 yrs this will likely be a thing of the past, tough to survive the hurdle of that price point

Cliff Bars are laden with sugar These bars are for those who don't want all the sugar as contained in Cliff, Lara and Luna bars. These are real meat and grain bars not oats and sugar bars.

As seen here Clif Bars are 230-250 cals in 2.4 oz bars with 20-24 grams or 80 - 96 cals in those 230-260 oz coming from sugar. For those not inclined to numbers 25% or more of those calories in this bar are sugar calories. Some varieties of Clif bars contain as much as 1/3 or 33% of their calories from sugar.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=p...2-FEFD45A4D471
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/cal...-bar-118077706

No one is saying buy directly from Krave or buy a four pack sampler. If the defensive wall wasn't immediately erected one might note with a little shopping they are being sold at Krogers in my area for $1.79 each. Just buy one. Might be worth a try, hey? It's a savory meat and grains bar great for those on Paleo Diets or wanting something different in a bar than the same old Clif like bar or for those wanting to add a little meat to a meal on trail. Thought the option might help a few out who said they wanted this.

That's still too much sugar. The ones I looked at had cane sugar as the second or third ingredient. Yes, less than Cliff and Lara, but still too much.

What is so much sugar doing in a meat/fruit bar? If I want candy I'll buy candy. These are kryptonite!

'

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    That's still too much sugar. The ones I looked at had cane sugar as the second or third ingredient. Yes, less than Cliff and Lara, but still too much.

What is so much sugar doing in a meat/fruit bar? If I want candy I'll buy candy. These are kryptonite!'
    You're right in that we still get 24 of the total 110 calories from sugar RockDoc..22%. And here I was thinking I was just tasting cranberries, orange peel, thyme, and turkey. So can you name your nutritional bars including meat bars that contain less sugar? Some jerkies have high amounts of added sugar too. Serious Rock Doc your considering and adding to the discussion. Teach us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You're right in that we still get 24 of the total 110 calories from sugar RockDoc..22%. And here I was thinking I was just tasting cranberries, orange peel, thyme, and turkey. So can you name your nutritional bars including meat bars that contain less sugar? Some jerkies have high amounts of added sugar too. Serious Rock Doc your considering and adding to the discussion. Teach us.
    School is in session....

https://julianbakery.com/product/pal...FUUjgQodeQ4KFw

I would go for epic bars over Krave bars for the exact reason of added sugars. The epic bars often have dried fruit added, but they do not have additional sugar. But for me it is a flavor thing. Particularly if you are active, i.e. Hiking and backpacking, a few grams of added sugars are hardly going to hurt anyone. I just never really liked the taste of sugary meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Oh yeah One bars. 1g sugar, 24 carb, 10 fiber (so net 14 carb), 21g protein.

https://ohyeahnutrition.com/collecti...ant=2570621377

Quest Protein Bars
    0g sugar, 4g net carbs, 21g protein

http://www.questnutrition.com/protei...ugh-box-of-12/

Journal Entries

Krave is really good, really really good. It is nothing like other snack bars, more like a real food bar. That assumes you like the taste of meat instead of grain.

If you want protein, and want it to taste like real meat, then why not vacuum seal jerky that is the real maccoy and has lots of fat?

New finding sez gluten free diets cause diabetes.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/2...-diabetes-risk

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    New finding sez gluten free diets cause diabetes.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/2...-diabetes-risk
    And of course, you can't actually get to the study from WebMD. They just throw out a teaser but won't actually give you the study.

My gut says there were many more factors than just simply being gluten free. If you replace gluten (a protein) for a carbohydrate then of course you're going to increase your risk of diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    5 oz for 11$ + shipping

vs cliff bars 14 oz for 6$ at wallyworld

about 4 times the price per oz

might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but in 2 yrs this will likely be a thing of the past, tough to survive the hurdle of that price point
    Or 12 Cliff Bars for $9.something at Walmart a couple weeks ago.
    Say what you want, but when you're on the other side of Nowhere and your stomach is beating on your spine, a Cliff, Kind or Lara bar and a big chew of Jerky fills a bunch of empty nooks and crannies.
    When are the Krave Tofurkey bars going to hit the market? Grinning.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    If you want protein, and want it to taste like real meat, then why not vacuum seal jerky that is the real maccoy and has lots of fat?

Jerky is good, but different, and actually tastes less like a meat meal then the Krave bars I've had. Jerky is the candy of meat (bacon also shares this title), Krave is more like good leftovers.

Have you ever made your own Jerky?
    Have you looked at the labels on commercial Jerky?
    Fat is to be avoided if the jerky is to last very long.
    Wayne

Yes, I do make it. I come from a very hot climate. It is called biltong here and not jerky. The fat won't go rancid if kept in a cool place, although as you pointed out in the long term it will shorten its lifespan. Jerky is designed to last unless it is poorly made. Vacuum sealing it and the lifespan is extended.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Did not know about these. I've never seen them anywhere in any store. Where do we buy them preferably in singles to demo?

If these don't make one full and regular a golf ball may be lodged in your GI tract.

Yes, I do make it. I come from a very hot climate. It is called biltong here and not jerky. The fat won't go rancid if kept in a cool place, although as you pointed out in the long term it will shorten its lifespan. Jerky is designed to last unless it is poorly made. Vacuum sealing it and the lifespan is extended.
    I apologize. The flaw in using Tapatalk on my phone is that your location is not shown.
    Suffice to say that the USA versions of meat jerky is low fat. Shelf life of the commercial varieties is quite long. Even homemade lasts a long time.
    Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++