Default Getting your weather on the PCT

Hi all,

As I usually do at the start of the thru-hiking season for both the AT and PCT, I'd like to make a plug for my website, www.atweather.org. In its third season now, it has become an indispensable tool not just for thru hikers but really for anyone heading out on either of our two amazing long-distance trails. It's simple to use: just select your trail, state and location from the drop down boxes, and the National Weather Service (NOAA) forecast tailored for your location will appear. Getting accurate and reliable weather information is especially important in a year when many parts of the Sierras have over 30 feet of snow on the ground!

Thanks so much for reading, and happy trails!

Pat (Zen, AT '15)

used it on the AT, going to use it on PCT. thanks for taking care of my weather needs.

Awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Zen!
    Glad to see you've got the site working for the PCT now too. Looking forward to using it out there as well
    -Redlocks (AT 2015)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    "Its a long hard walk, but I will walk hard"
    -Dewey Cox

Wow excellent thank you. I bookmarked it. Didn't even know this existed

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Images

Thank you for making hiking safer.great job

Hey Hikers,

This is off the weather topic a bit, more concerned with conditions on the ground. I track the status of the trail through Winter, Spring and into Summer on my backpacker's calendar:

https://tahoetowhitney.com/2017-high...alendar.html#4

I report the snow depth and temps on the specified dates, and link to the stations themselves so you can get current info. Note the links to the Watershed Tables, which include all the Water Content Readings, which I provide links to simple conversions.

Those real-time reporting stations are just one part of my High Sierra Weather Page, which provides fundamental meteorological information across every frequency of observation, all centered on the Sierra. Sats, Radar, Maps, and every type of effective forecasting tool and model I can find. I don't think you can find a more powerful assemblage of weather tools on one page anywhere else than here:

http://tahoetowhitney.org/content/fa...itions-reports

The key to Sierra Weather is brewed up coming across the North Pacific, so we spend a lot of time looking across the water at the tropical storms brewing off the coast of Indonesia, at the warming and cooling of El Nino & La Nina, and the crazy overheating of the tropics in balance with the weird warming of the Arctic. We enjoy the weather because it's such a grand part of the backpacking experience, bringing out every environment's full range of characteristics.

Wooo-hoooo!

I go non-digital (NO ELECTRICS except cam & light) on the trail, so it's a planning tool for me! But you can watch the Sat views of your position, if you can get a signal! Watch that big sucker rolling in!!

Ha-ha-Happy Trails!

Alex from Tahoe to Whitney

++ New Posts ++