Default Ski through the Sierras?

Being that this is an epic snow year in the Sierras, is anyone thinking of skiing them? I could have a friend ship my skis to Kennedy Meadows. I'm just wondering why I haven't heard of more thru hikers doing this.

To be clear, I have abundant backcountry skiing, winter travel, and navigation experience including avalanche education. What I don't have is high water river crossing experience.

Thought? Suggestions?

Garlic
    Images

How much do your skis and boots weigh? You'd be carrying your skis an awful lot below tree line. And hiking all that distance in presumably heavy boots. And yeah, getting that extra gear through Evolution Creek, for instance. And have you toured often in steep terrain with a pack carrying a week or more of food and gear? I find that's a game changer at my skill level.

At least mailing the gear is easy enough. I did that once in Oregon, just put a label right on the skis and taped them together.

The skis probably weigh 7 pounds. The boots are very lightweight. Lighter than my hiking boots actually. The number of transitions between skiing and skinning as well as sections of hiking is what concerns me. If I could be assured of solid snow conditions that would make it doable and timely.

I would be carrying more gear, but could get away with melting snow for water as needed, so I'd save some weight there.

Steep and heavy is fine.

Start date is still important.
    I would think Red's Meadow Road will be opening much later than usual this year.
    Probably Tuollume Road also.
    So, think about where you would be able to resupply on the northern end.
    Carson pass?
    How many days food can you carry?
    I know 12 is my limit (and I haven't eaten oatmeal or Ramens since)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I could see it having some benefits but also being a pain in the butt. You would definitely fly off the passes, Muir especially. But once you're in the tree line (and even before) you will run into rock hard drifts that will not be possible to ski. See picture below. Also, agree with Garlic on stream crossings.
    330.JPG
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmtnchild View Post
    Being that this is an epic snow year in the Sierras, is anyone thinking of skiing them? I could have a friend ship my skis to Kennedy Meadows. I'm just wondering why I haven't heard of more thru hikers doing this.

To be clear, I have abundant backcountry skiing, winter travel, and navigation experience including avalanche education. What I don't have is high water river crossing experience.

Thought? Suggestions?
    It looks like it would be brutal. I assume you would be solo. You would be breaking trail and skinning on all the ups and really not having much fun on the downs. Then, there are the water crossings...yikes...

A day skinning up and skiing down is a blast. Have you done a BC expedition where that is all you do for a week, sleeping in the snow, melting snow for water, using a storm-capable shelter, carrying a CRAPWAGON of fuel, food, gear, etc? Skinning and/or sliding for HOURS every single day with about an hour's worth of downhill for the effort? Any technical stuff and you are going to need even more gear.

I'm no Andrew McLean. I don't get off on carrying 50 pounds, or more, on my back while skinning up steep as hell mountains...10-20 pounds, yes. 50 pounds......no way. YMMV.

Plenty of peeps do randonee treks of epic proportions. The Haute Route comes to mind. The PCT does not. Just sayin....

If you do go for it, it will be quite the accomplishment, IMHO....

Thanks for the pic Malto. I have skied stuff like that before, and you're right, it was miserable and dangerous.

I have done week plus self-supported trips on skis in the winter. It's a Hell that somehow turns fun in the retelling.

I'll really need to think about it. Max food I can carry is about 14 days worth. But with winter intake it's more likely to be 10-12 days worth.

If I had someone to go with and share in the suffering I wouldn't think twice. But since I'll likely be alone I think I'll reserve judgement until I get a bit closer. I can always have the gear mailed to me if I decide to give it a try.

I'll have 700 miles to make up my mind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmtnchild View Post
    Thanks for the pic Malto. I have skied stuff like that before, and you're right, it was miserable and dangerous.

I have done week plus self-supported trips on skis in the winter. It's a Hell that somehow turns fun in the retelling.

I'll really need to think about it. Max food I can carry is about 14 days worth. But with winter intake it's more likely to be 10-12 days worth.

If I had someone to go with and share in the suffering I wouldn't think twice. But since I'll likely be alone I think I'll reserve judgement until I get a bit closer. I can always have the gear mailed to me if I decide to give it a try.

I'll have 700 miles to make up my mind.
    I have done many snowshoe trip in the Sierra in the winter and early spring. It is really cool to see the occasional ski track winding its way for miles. It's funny, my first 700 miles in 2011 I was already thinking about what was next. I spent hours thinking through a wintertime snowshoe trip of the JMT. little did I know that I would be doing that same trip without snowshoes (without the winter weather) when I hit KM. Have a great trip, given you already have played in the snow, you should have a good feel for what to expect.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

++ New Posts ++