Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Lets talk about poop

Specifically, TP.

For those with experience, is a single heavy-duty ziplock enough to pack it out, or do you have to double it? I've heard of wrapping it in duct tape for both strength and to conceal what's in there.

What's a working TP strategy?

What size Ziploc? My inventory runs from Pint to 2 gallon. Mostly in the Quart-1/2 Gallon and Gallon sizes.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Default Lets talk about poop

a separate tp bag inside your main trash Ziploc should be a sufficient odor barrier.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Images

Use 1 quart size ziplock . Each bm needs it's own pint sized zip lock baggie. Plan on number needed .
    Add several sheets of fragrance scented dryer sheets to each pint sized ziplock to squash the smell. Place in Qt sized bag and pack it out.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Use natural materials, finish up with 1-2 squares.
    Put in garbage ziplock with other garbage if you must. Mine is so minimal this way, unless water is scarce, I add water, stir, and dissolve it into dirt and poo in cathole. Its gone. Nothing left. Cellulose fibers in the soil
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-12-2017 at 19:54.

Good point - basically double-walled for free, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    a separate tp bag inside your main trash Ziploc should be a sufficient odor barrier.

For years out west (including the PCT), I normally use a sandwich size ziploc for the used TP and carry it in a quart size ziplock with my clean TP. That goes into my main mesh pocket on the outside of my pack. Not because I'm afraid of it inside my pack, but I want it quickly available as sometimes the urge hits quickly. I empty the used TP whenever I get access to a pit toliet (or real one) or a trash can.

Over the years I've heard people from back east act in horror at the idea of carrying used TP, but my first question is what are they eating to be putting out such toxic waste that it will eat through plastic. On a long distance hike, you normally get pretty regular, and if you haven't got a bug messing with your system, it normally isn't very messy.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Use natural materials, finish up with 1-2 squares.
    Put in garbage ziplock with other garbage if you must. Mine is so minimal this way, unless water is scarce, I add water, stir, and dissolve it into dirt and poo in cathole. Its gone. Nothing left. Cellulose fibers in the soil
    I'm with muddy, ive used anything from leaves to smooth rocks. Then a two part system, one wet wipe followed by some TP, i find this makes my experience go the smoothest. Just make sure you bury the TP deep enough so there is no chance it comes back.

Excuse me, can you spare a square?

PLEASE! Pack out your TP. First of all, we should all practice LNT to the best of our ability. Secondly, I'm tired of finding TP all over the PCT.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    PLEASE! Pack out your TP. First of all, we should all practice LNT to the best of our ability. Secondly, I'm tired of finding TP all over the PCT.
    I appreciate you comment and sentiment. I have a couple more thoughts along those lines:

1) From what I can tell, it is almost always poorly constructed cat holes or completely unconstructed cat holes that are responsible for the vast majority of the TP blooms we are disgusted by. As a community, we are failing to both follow through on and educate others in following through on the most basic of outdoor hygiene and etiquette!! It seems we might be fighting a battle, not unlike abstinence only sex education, it sounds great in the classroom, but when the urge calls, all reason and responsibility goes out the window.

2) Burying soiled TP in winter, in the snow is silly, pointless and irresponsible since it does not decompose and becomes an ugly and disgusting carpet of TP on the ground in the spring! Please, be extra certain to carry out any and all TP in the winter. Just like carrying gloves and hats in the winter, make sure to add your sanitary kit to your pack in the winter as well, please.

3) Finally, I hit on the following point enough to annoy the most easy going readers of WB, I'm sure. I really don't want to redirect this thread away from the very appropriate and useful OP question of the best way to carry out used TP if you choose to do so. But, don't forget, you can also choose to very effectively clean yourself without using TP at all, as much of the modern world does on a daily basis.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    LNT and burying TP are not mutually exclusive. People seem to think that TP buried at an appropriate depth has some sort of nuclear half-life and never breaks down, which couldn't be farther from the truth. The TP you see on the trail is from people shoving it under a rock after taking a surface steamer, which I have seen a few times. Buried appropriately, it doesn't exhume itself. I just don't like carrying soiled toilet paper in my pack, and I am confident I am leaving no trace (I dig deep holes).

Well, take my word for it, you are leaving a trace.

TP doesn't break down very fast in desert and Alpine environments and takes many years. Which is why the LNT push with packing it out in western states. And why some places actually require you to pack it out rather than just strongly suggest it. If hardly anyone visited a place, it wouldn't be a big deal. Unfortunately, if it's a nice place, that isn't the case.

Given you are from AZ, you should know the Grand Canyon NP requires you to pack out no matter what your feelings are on the subject. And more specific to the PCT, Yosemite also does if you read their online backpacking regulations.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    . Buried appropriately, it doesn't exhume itself. I just don't like carrying soiled toilet paper in my pack, and I am confident I am leaving no trace (I dig deep holes).
    Animals dig it up.

Or other hikers.

As I like to point out, If every hiker craps once per day, the number of sites where people poo is staggering on high use trails per season. Especially above treeline or in tree spare areas where people tend to repeat near obvious concealments off trail.

Take jmt for instance, 40 persons per day for 3 mo. 18 day avg on trail=64800 poops in 211 miles . Sound like a lot? Its a poop every 17 ft! Now factor in that people repeat good spots.....I dug up 4 previous spots on jmt...the tp gave it away

Saw plenty of unburied too in spots. It doesnt degrade without rain.

And thats just one season...only counting sobo #s.

Which is why they say..pack it out
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-13-2017 at 18:12.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    . . . Which is why they say..pack it out
    Or, just don't use it. But, this is all getting off the point of the OP . . . what methods do each of us use, if any, to pack out our used TP that works well.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I triple ziploc bag mine.

OpSak...forget the ziploc. When you are carrying nuclear waste, you don't carry it in an aluminum container...just sayin...

Spend the money, pack out your poop stained toilet paper(or pages from Backpacker...), don't worry about a toxic spill in your pack. OpSak.

GAME 06

Yes carry out what you use.

I personally do not believe people should take tp into the wilderness. Period.

Use wet wipes. They work much better than tp. They get you cleaner because they are 'wet' and that means less Monkey Butt. It takes very few of them per day - 2 is more than enough for me. So the amount of material used is way less than tp requires.

I keep them in a sandwich size ziplock and that goes in my ziplock with the fresh wet wipes. Then in the garbage in town.

Wallmart and many other stores sell wet wipes in individual packets. And in small boxes of 15 packets. Ideal.

One wet wipes will clean a lot of your body also. When one hikes in the desert a lot like I do there is often no water available for washing purposes and having wet wipes is seriously nice.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++