WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Sawyer filters?

Has anyone heard any details or inside scoop on the new Sawyer water filters that are going to be released in May?

Full-page ad in Backpacker magazine's April 2017 issue reads:

COMING IN MAY

A new line of water filters from Sawyer that remove taste, odor, smell, chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, protozoa, and viruses at levels never seen before.

I saw something a few months ago about a new bag with some sort of sponge material inside that was supposed to act like a carbon filter.

I wasn't that impressed. Hopefully this is something different. If Sawyer offered a carbon pre-filter for the mini I would be interested.

not sawyer, but I ordered one of these when I ordered my platypus....haven't used it yet
    i really bought it more for at home disaster/emergency use..... guess it's mostly for taste

This has to be something more than a carbon filter because it kills viruses...

Let's hope that it doesn't weigh 5 pounds in order to do all of those things.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Let's hope that it doesn't weigh 5 pounds in order to do all of those things.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My FirstNeedXLElite is a purifier. It does all of those things. It weighs a pound. One. Pound.

To answer the OP's question. No.

To have fun speculating, the description requires activated charcoal and either an ultra-small pore size filter (<0.01) or chemical treatment like the MSR Sweetwater system that adds a little bleach to kill viruses (much less bleach than need to kill bacteria and protozoa). Both MSR and Sawyer currently make virus filters, but few of us use them because of their slow flow rates and/or increased overall weight and, of course, increased cost.

I'm looking forward to see what they produce. I generally am impressed with Sawyers products.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I saw something a few months ago about a new bag with some sort of sponge material inside that was supposed to act like a carbon filter.

I wasn't that impressed. Hopefully this is something different. If Sawyer offered a carbon pre-filter for the mini I would be interested.
    I remembered where I read about it. Scroll down at the link:

http://sectionhiker.com/outdoor-reta...-gear-roundup/

Picture is a prototype, but it will either/both be a squeeze bag or a soft water bottle filled with foam that's supposed to improve taste.... and also kill some viruses.

Either way, seems like a miss to me.

It would be a safe bet that this will weigh more than the standard sawyer filter, which makes it useless for most of us.

Nonetheless im interested, I don't just backpack, could be a nice car camping item.

++ New Posts ++