I'm looking to reduce weight in my pack, my usual gear is a bit overkill for the AT. Since the AT is well marked and what I consider to be the kiddy pool of the big trails I'm ditching as much stuff as I can.
I'm doing away with gps, cellphone, etc.
I'd like to ditch my fancy 3 lb boots for trail runners as well but I've never once got blisters with my boot/sock combination even when they were waterlogged. I don't think I'm willing to mess with success in this area.
The last thing I'd like to ditch is the tent. It's a 5 lb 4 season 1 man tent, and while it's really nice in diverse weather, I'm in a struggle to justify the weight. The pack feels much lighter without it.
I often just throw down my sleeping pad/bag wherever anyway and just sleep in the open, the bag is heavily weather resistant and I've slept comfortably in all manner of conditions this way.
I know the environment on the AT will probably make this an annoying approach as a long term solution and that I should just bring the tent but I'm hoping somebody can talk me out of it.