WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default virginia hostels

Hiking the AT from Daleville VA to Front Royal VA in June '17. Hostels (near the AT) seem to be few and far between in that Section. Any suggestions?
    virgil

I mostly utilized the camping accommodations in towns through that section. Troutville (next to Daleville) lets hikers camp in the public park with showers and laundry at the fire station though maybe not needed as that's your starting point. Buena Vista has camping at the public park with showers, I believe a small fee there. Waynesboro has a free campground with showers at the nearby YMCA.

Journal Entries

I didn't notice a lack of places to stay, though in Waynesboro/SNP I didn't stay anywhere with a roof over my head - excluding a daytime nap in a hiking shelter (it was my longest section from Buena Vista to Front Royal w/o a roof). Now it may not be a hostel, but a motel with a hiker rate.

Glascow is an easy hitch or shuttle to the free shelter. Resupply options there
    Stanimals shelter in waynesborough will shuttle you there, or you can go to a hotel in town, or the ymca free area
    You can camp at the devil's backbone brewery south of waynesboro as well. It's a bit of detour, but A LOT of people go there. Cool place

I did Harpers Ferry to Daleville and stayed at Terrapin station in Front Royal (but your ending there), the town shelter at Glasglow and a motel at Waynesboro. That was it for off trail stays.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Open Arms Hostel in Luray picks up hikers at Thornton Gap. Phone : 540-244-5652.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

++ New Posts ++