WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default tent or no tent?

I'm looking to reduce weight in my pack, my usual gear is a bit overkill for the AT. Since the AT is well marked and what I consider to be the kiddy pool of the big trails I'm ditching as much stuff as I can.
    I'm doing away with gps, cellphone, etc.
    I'd like to ditch my fancy 3 lb boots for trail runners as well but I've never once got blisters with my boot/sock combination even when they were waterlogged. I don't think I'm willing to mess with success in this area.
    The last thing I'd like to ditch is the tent. It's a 5 lb 4 season 1 man tent, and while it's really nice in diverse weather, I'm in a struggle to justify the weight. The pack feels much lighter without it.
    I often just throw down my sleeping pad/bag wherever anyway and just sleep in the open, the bag is heavily weather resistant and I've slept comfortably in all manner of conditions this way.
    I know the environment on the AT will probably make this an annoying approach as a long term solution and that I should just bring the tent but I'm hoping somebody can talk me out of it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I'm looking to reduce weight in my pack, my usual gear is a bit overkill for the AT. Since the AT is well marked and what I consider to be the kiddy pool of the big trails I'm ditching as much stuff as I can.
    I'd like to ditch my fancy 3 lb boots for trail runners as well but I've never once got blisters with my boot/sock combination even when they were waterlogged. I don't think I'm willing to mess with success in this area.
    The last thing I'd like to ditch is the tent. It's a 5 lb 4 season 1 man tent, and while it's really nice in diverse weather, I'm in a struggle to justify the weight. The pack feels much lighter without it.
    I often just throw down my sleeping pad/bag wherever anyway and just sleep in the open, the bag is heavily weather resistant and I've slept comfortably in all manner of conditions this way.
    I know the environment on the AT will probably make this an annoying approach as a long term solution and that I should just bring the tent but I'm hoping somebody can talk me out of it.
    i gave up carrying my tent last year after being on the cusp of doing so for a few years. i never use it unless i have to and i generally plan to not use it. many times it was just something to carry around. its been replaced with an emergency bivy. if i plan a hike where it seems the tent will be more likely necessary than not ill carry it a long. otherwise, probably not.

i'm sure at some point this is going to bite me hard and i'm going to suffer an absolutely miserable night somewhere. so be it. ive decided it's worth the risk.

If you're willing to just flop on the ground, but don't like the idea of a rainy night, buy a small tarp... There are lots available that are under a pound, priced from $10 on up to well over $100.

Right on. Go for it.
    The delete key rules!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Ditch the 5lb tent for a lightweight tarp. Many options to choose from depending on your budget.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Alright, I'll head down to REI and check out some tarps. What are the cons of tarps practically speaking other than skitos? How do they handle the rain on the AT? What are the nit pick cons of this approach?

Alright, I'll head down to REI and check out some tarps. What are the cons of tarps practically speaking other than skitos? How do they handle the rain on the AT? What are the nit pick cons of this approach?
    Not to pick too many notes, but this would be one. You might not always be able to find space in a shelter. Obviously this forecast is calendar dependent. It's not quite this brutal in July.
    http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone
    There are tents that provide better weather & insect protection than just a light tarp and weigh a lot less than a 4 season tent and not much more than a tarp.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I have 0 plans to ever use a shelter honestly.

Images

Check out MLD and other smaller manufacturers for tarps, they will have a lot more than REI. I locked into a mid-style, like the MLD solomid. No compromise at all as far as weather worthiness. And at 8oz, it is very lightweight for a shelter, or more commonly as a pillow.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I just got got to know what sleeping bag you have that is be heavily weather resistant enough to not need a tent.

Thom

I have 0 plans to ever use a shelter honestly.
    You obviously don't know what can and is happening on the AT above 4,000 feet as I type.
    You plan to bypass or have a helicopter chartered for the Smokies?
    The delete key failed me again.
    Wayne

Images

😊

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You obviously don't know what can and is happening on the AT above 4,000 feet as I type.
    You plan to bypass or have a helicopter chartered for the Smokies?
    The delete key failed me again.
    Wayne
    whered did the OP ever say he was going to the smokies? seemed a much more general question. in some cases, carrying a tent is more prudent, doesn't necessarily mean that its universally a bad idea not to. it depends on a whole lot. through all of the mid atlantic states during the summer months, barring some unexpected extreme weather, you're most likely going to be fine without a tent for a night or two. basically you're risking discomfort and the chance that some freak one in a million thing happens a tent would have prevented.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I just got got to know what sleeping bag you have that is be heavily weather resistant enough to not need a tent.

Thom
    I think it's this one http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ies/kodiak-mf/

Unless it's a flooding water I'll be fine. Snow has never bothered me while sleeping.

I would definitely ditch the 5+ lb tent. There are plenty of much lighter options. Some very cheap.

While there will likely be someone around IF you need a phone, I would still carry one. My phone, backup battery, wall charger and cords, packed in a QT freezer bag weigh only 12.66 oz/359 grams. The phone and backup battery will last at least 7 days. Today is actually day 8 and I have 61% of my battery in my phone.

The AT is very well marked and while I am going for 30 days this year, it's the first time I am contemplating NOT carrying a map and compass. I know it's unnecessary, it's just a matter of habit and safety. I have NEEDED a map exactly ONCE when backpacking on the trail and very happy I had it!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

It's all clear as mud now.
    All Y'all have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it depends on what you plan to do. A weekend where your confident of the weather report or an extended trip? Not bringing a tent and not staying in shelters? That idea isn't going to last long. Attempting a thru and hit a week of rain? You'll be begging for shelter space.

You might get away with a good sized tarp, but you really need a bivy sack to go with it and then you might as well just get a tent. Sure, ditch your 5.5 pound tent, but get something a bit more reasonable.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yes, you need a tent, or Kammock wth tarp, or at least a bivy. It would be fool hearty to go out with no backup shelter. REI has a product called Camp Dome 2 - two person for just under $100 that weighs about 4 lbs. Take a look at it.

You might also try a pair of Solomon Trail Runners. I don't own them (yet) but I've heard great things about them... light weight, no break-in time. Those with either Wright or Darn Tough socks and you'd be good to go. The rule of thumb is that every pound you can take off your shoes has the effect of taking 5 pounds off your back.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I would definitely ditch the 5+ lb tent. There are plenty of much lighter options. Some very cheap.

While there will likely be someone around IF you need a phone, I would still carry one. My phone, backup battery, wall charger and cords, packed in a QT freezer bag weigh only 12.66 oz/359 grams. The phone and backup battery will last at least 7 days. Today is actually day 8 and I have 61% of my battery in my phone.

The AT is very well marked and while I am going for 30 days this year, it's the first time I am contemplating NOT carrying a map and compass. I know it's unnecessary, it's just a matter of habit and safety. I have NEEDED a map exactly ONCE when backpacking on the trail and very happy I had it!
    bring a phone but leave a map and compass? the phone is necessary, but the map isnt?

i dont even own a cell phone. i own maps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    it depends on what you plan to do. \
    yup. i doubt we've ecer agreed more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++