WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Try ethnic foods sections of larger supermarkets and Hispanic grocery stores.
    Thanks for the info!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I never even paid attention to the expiration date and just kept it on the shelf in the pantry (even after opening). Are you supposed to refrigerate the powder after opening?
    We never have. I'm positive we've had cans of opened Nido for a couple of years, no problem. If in question, make a cup an do sniff test. Tossing a new can out is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Where do you find it for that price? Smallest can on Amazon is over $8. I haven't found it local but probably haven't looked hard enough.
    As much as I hate Wally World they have it in Hispanic food section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Shelf life of Nido?

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Where do you find it for that price? Smallest can on Amazon is over $8. I haven't found it local but probably haven't looked hard enough.
    I've recently discovered online shopping at Walmart. They've got the NIDO for $4.something and will ship to you free as long as you buy $35 of stuff. Just buy some usual grocery items to make up the $35 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    As much as I hate Wally World they have it in Hispanic food section.

Yep. Yellow label. Right next to the Nestle's Mexican solid hot chocolate. Not the powdered stuff. To die for!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

I've had opened NIDO un-refrigerated for more than 2 years. Tastes great. My can says store in a cool, dry place. Nothing about needing refrigeration. I store mine in the kitchen cabinet. My current can is from July 2014. I use a silica packet inside it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I had packaged NIDO into individual servings (25 g powder to dissolve in 1 cup of water) in Ziploc sandwich bags. Did not use them all, and today started working with food packs prepared one year ago. I am currently replacing the prepackaged NIDO with fresh.

Fresh NIDO has an off-white/yellowish appearance. My prepackaged powder had a distinct orange cast, a vitamin-like odor, and an off-taste. Again, these had been prepackaged and stored in thin sandwich bags, not in the NIDO container.

NIDO "instructions" note diluting 30 grams of powder in 1 cup of water. I like whole milk, and find a 25 gram to 1 cup dilution excellent. Folks accustomed to a lower fat content milk would probably be happy with a 20 gram to 1 cup dilution.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Probably not, if we're talking the 3.52 lb. size. (But if that is the size can you're thinking about, please clue us in to your supplier!)

I just checked the can sitting on my kitchen counter, and it "expires" this coming November. I've had it open about 3 months now and it's doing great so far. I've been conducting tests of different mixes to add to oatmeal, cocoa, mac & cheese, & c. to get ready for my through hike next year. I think I'm liking Nestle Nido Fortificada better than local whole milk. (California has a funky law about required protein fortification to be sold as state-certified whole milk, likely to deter competition from out-of-state dairies. This makes homemade yogurt an easier endeavor -- a nice plus -- but does affect the taste -- clearly a minus.)
    Amazon $4.48 for the 12.6 container. I just ordered some.

I've used Nido that has been at least 2-3 years old (simply stored in a pantry) and don't notice any difference. My guess is that as long as it doesn't get humidity/moisture in it, that it would last a fair amount of time.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++