WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shelf life of Nido?

Bought a can of Nido last summer and its been stored in the fridge since I got it. Anyone have any input on how long its good for? Would like to be able to use it for a few trips this summer without buying a new can.

Is the can unopened? If so you are fine.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Is the can unopened? If so you are fine.
    Nope. Was opened last July (2016)

Unopened shelf life is 18 months.
    I freeze mine between uses but never last more than a few months.

9 months in the fridge? I would deep six it myself.

I'm sure it has a "sell by" date or " best if used by" date. I tend to ignore those , myself. I'd use it if it didn't smell or taste funny, especially if it was unopened in the refrigerator.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I've had opened NIDO un-refrigerated for more than a year. Tastes just fine. My can says store in a cool, dry place. Nothing about needing refrigeration. I store mine in the kitchen cabinet. My current can is from June 2016.

I've used more than 1 open can of Nido over a 12 month period without issue. Stored at room temperature which ranged from 60-85F depending on the time of year. Though I live out west with a low humidity if that makes any difference.

Images

I say when in doubt--throw it out.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Hmm, conflicting information. Sounds like I need to do a taste test....

Images

Sniff test, what makes it go bad is the fats going rancid. If it smells good it probably is good.

When my Nido started to 'go', it would clump when I mixed it into my coffee. It still tasted fine, but that was the indicator that I should use it up soon.

-FA

I think if its kept dry it will last a long time.

I don't drink coffee but have container of coffee creamer that I used to use for mixing instant pudding for backpacking (pre Nido) its at least 15 year old and still is edible. Coffee creamer and Nido are quite similar products.

A new can is $4.50.

Journal Entries
    Images

Now I have to sniff test my Nido? Its just been on the pantry shelf for about a year. I suppose that I'll also have to sniff the instant pudding that I've prefabbed with Nido.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I have stored unopened cans for 1-2 years unrefrigerated and the contents were fine. I've never even looked to see if there was an expiration date. Once I open a can, I keep it in the freezer until I'm done with the contents. I use it mostly in coffee, for baking on trail, and for adding to breakfast cereals.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    A new can is $4.50.
    Probably not, if we're talking the 3.52 lb. size. (But if that is the size can you're thinking about, please clue us in to your supplier!)

I just checked the can sitting on my kitchen counter, and it "expires" this coming November. I've had it open about 3 months now and it's doing great so far. I've been conducting tests of different mixes to add to oatmeal, cocoa, mac & cheese, & c. to get ready for my through hike next year. I think I'm liking Nestle Nido Fortificada better than local whole milk. (California has a funky law about required protein fortification to be sold as state-certified whole milk, likely to deter competition from out-of-state dairies. This makes homemade yogurt an easier endeavor -- a nice plus -- but does affect the taste -- clearly a minus.)

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    A new can is $4.50.
    Where do you find it for that price? Smallest can on Amazon is over $8. I haven't found it local but probably haven't looked hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I have stored unopened cans for 1-2 years unrefrigerated and the contents were fine. I've never even looked to see if there was an expiration date. Once I open a can, I keep it in the freezer until I'm done with the contents. I use it mostly in coffee, for baking on trail, and for adding to breakfast cereals.
    Me too, have had mine for at least two years, maybe longer and keep it in the freezer. I mainly use it for bread baking and haven't died yet so guess it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Where do you find it for that price? Smallest can on Amazon is over $8. I haven't found it local but probably haven't looked hard enough.
    Try ethnic foods sections of larger supermarkets and Hispanic grocery stores.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I never even paid attention to the expiration date and just kept it on the shelf in the pantry (even after opening). Are you supposed to refrigerate the powder after opening?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++