WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Three Forks to Wilscot Gap!

Im going to be hiking from Three forks to Wilscot gap in a few weeks. Plan is 2 nights/3 days. Anyone done this? Sound reasonable? Any advice or things to not miss? Thanks!

On the BMT I assume? I have done that section. 24 miles from Three Forks to Wilscot Gap. You are going to be putting in fairly high mileage days.

Nice trail. You will have it all to yourself. I parked my car at Wilscot Gap and had no problems.

Water might be an issue. I would get SGT Rock's BMT trail guide.

Have fun.

Carl

That's my stopping point in my section hike of the BMT so far. Picking it back up in a few weeks. Water up when you leave Three Forks. I think Bryson Gap may have a water source but definitely plenty at the Toccoa, though you'll want to use a stream going into it which you will see. I don't think the creek at Skeenah Creek (your first Hwy60 crossing) is good as I believe there are livestock issues upstream. There is a stream before you dump out there that might work. But yeah, after that you're climbing and up above most sources. When you dump out on Skeenah Gap Road there is a church about 1/4 mi down the road to your left. They have water spigots there. I ended up sleeping under their shelter.

My wife and I are thinking of doing this same section in April. Very cool and thanks for the tips all!

Thanks! What kind of time frame did you hike it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlangster View Post
    Thanks! What kind of time frame did you hike it in?
    I had done some of it on day hikes. I did Hwy 60 (Skeenah Creek) to Hwy 60 (Wilscot Gap) overnight, though.

It's definitely doable but the spacing of campsites and water isn't very balanced (unless you don't mind dry camping). My suggestion is to make day 2 your longest day.

Day 1, Three Forks to Taccoa River Bridge 8.7 miles. FYI, you won't be camping alone at the bridge but it's a cool place to stay.

Day 2, Taccoa River Bridge to Payne Gap 11.9 miles

Day 3, Payne Gap to Wilscot Gap 3.2 miles

Another idea is;

Day 1, Three Forks to Bryson Gap (nice campsite) 5.9 miles

Day 2, Bryson Gap to campsite at mile 22.4 10.5 miles

Day 3, 22.4 to Wilscot Gap 7.4 miles

Lack of water was an issue through this section last year but I imagine it's fine now.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 03-14-2017 at 21:22.

Both good plans. I had thought about first night at the bridge and 2nd night at the 22.4 campsite. How crowded do you think the bridge will be on a Sunday night?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlangster View Post
    Both good plans. I had thought about first night at the bridge and 2nd night at the 22.4 campsite. How crowded do you think the bridge will be on a Sunday night?
    Sorry, I don't know.

Just did this same section last week. Here are my thoughts:

Day 1: Three Forks to Toccoa River Bridge. You'll have plenty of water to only carry what you need for the hike, and can refill at camp for dinner/bfast/hiking the next day.
    Day 2: TRB to Payne Gap. Only water in this section is at the church. The spigot on the church is actually turned off now, but there is water in a creek ~200yards behind the church. Fill up here for what water you need until your hike is done. There is no water at Payne Gap, or at the campsite at 22.4. Granted, it has rained a few times since I was out there, but they were both very dry early last week. Note: the dirt road behind the church does NOT lead back to the BMT. You have to hike down the road.
    Day 3: Payne Gap to Wilscot Gap.

Also to note, there are leftover signs for the fire ban at Wilscot Gap, but the fire ban has been lifted for the area. Just be careful as there are lots of leaves around and they are dry.

Quote Originally Posted by nickpav View Post
    Just did this same section last week. Here are my thoughts:

Day 1: Three Forks to Toccoa River Bridge. You'll have plenty of water to only carry what you need for the hike, and can refill at camp for dinner/bfast/hiking the next day.
    Day 2: TRB to Payne Gap. Only water in this section is at the church. The spigot on the church is actually turned off now, but there is water in a creek ~200yards behind the church. Fill up here for what water you need until your hike is done. There is no water at Payne Gap, or at the campsite at 22.4. Granted, it has rained a few times since I was out there, but they were both very dry early last week. Note: the dirt road behind the church does NOT lead back to the BMT. You have to hike down the road.
    Day 3: Payne Gap to Wilscot Gap.

Also to note, there are leftover signs for the fire ban at Wilscot Gap, but the fire ban has been lifted for the area. Just be careful as there are lots of leaves around and they are dry.
    Good info. I'm surprised that water is still an issue.

Thanks! Good info!

Does anyone know if Martin's Dixie Depot in Suches is still in operation?

++ New Posts ++