WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hydrapak had 2 & 3 liter soft bottles last spring. I bought the filter and the 2 liter bottle last spring.
    What is new about the coming 3 liter bottle?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I was tempted also but.....I've had bags break w Sawyer and you simply screw on your water bottle were as befree u bescrewed.......

I believe the 3L Seeker is available now.

I am using the 2L Seeker and returned the 0.6 BeFree for the 1L version.. far more useful than the smaller 0.6. I am still amazed at the flow rate on the BeFree... very happy. Also, the two softies dry in so little time.. I've had Platypus and Sawyer bags take weeks to dry after cleaning.

been seeing mention of the katadyn filter more an more on youtube.
    My completely inexperienced observation is that if that bottle rips you're out of luck. No fitting that thing up to any other bottle or rigging up any sort of gravity feed without that proprietary bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I was tempted also but.....I've had bags break w Sawyer and you simply screw on your water bottle were as befree u bescrewed.......

Haha, good one.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    My completely inexperienced observation is that if that bottle rips you're out of luck. No fitting that thing up to any other bottle or rigging up any sort of gravity feed without that proprietary bottle.
    It's a lot more versatile than you may be thinking..

So let me help a little here... I have abused both the Seeker and the 1ltr BeFree bottle. Tossed them around, shoved them in tight pack packets and squeeze them to dispense the water. No problems yet. Plus they roll up much smaller than any of my other soft bags. Admittedly, they don't have that many miles on them, but I am really rough with them...intentionally. So far so good.

As far as gravity feed.. The BeFree filter is two parts.. the main filter body and a removable cap that is essentially a SmartWater sippy cap. There are lots of options for rigging up a gravity system using all the parts that are commonly used in the sawyer setups if you have or want to buy the fittings. That said, what I did was took a piece of food grade hose and pushed it into the SmartWater cap on the BeFree. I don't use the Seekers cap. Rather I have the BeFree filter on the Seeker any time I not using the 1ltr bag. The Seeker has three points to which you can attach a piece of micro cord or Zingit so you can hang the Seeker. And, inline I have a pinch valve. In the past I would have another fitting on the clean bottle end, but the flow rate of the BeFree is so fast I just put the hose in the clean water bottle, open the pinch valve and in no time the clean bottle is full. In fact, the flow rate is so fast, there really is no need for a gravity feed system.. I never need to walk away from it, so no worries of knocking a bottle over or overflowing. It's that fast.

Plus, since I don't need additional Sawyer fittings and extra backup bottle caps, and the gravity setup/hose is my backup cap for the shoulder mounted smart water bottle, I've shaved some weight and extra parts from my kit.

I do use the 1ltr bag and filter. Pull up to a water source and want to tank up quickly? You can fill the wide mouth bag faster, and easier than any of my other Sawyer/Platy style bags (no dip cup needed to pour water into the small mouth bags) and then chug it down right from there. And then repeat a few times. I can fill and then drink the contents of the BeFree a few times in the same time it would take to fill the Sawyer bag just once... I may be exaggerating there just a little. But it's fast and easy.

I was concerned about going from water source to my mouth with the same bag, thinking that there surely would be some dirty water on the bag that could contaminate my mouth, but I've made it a habit to hold the BeFree vertically and give the bag a squeeze before drinking so the filtered water washes down the sides of the BeFree. Problem solved.

I've tossed both Sawyer filters in the trash and packed the Sawyer bags away. I still use two Platy clean water bags (a 1 ltr and a 2 ltr) along with the two Katadyn bags.

I'll respectfully disagree with your statement, and strongly encourage you to get your hands on one, or see one in action. It's a complete game changer for me as far as filtration and storage.

I'm planning on bringing 2 2L seeker soft bottles for water storage. That way I have one backup. I'll carry a Smart Water bottle to drink from and carry more unfiltered in the seekers as needed for a Colorado Trail 2 week hike.

Mikeklm, I think you misunderstood my primary point..... its not so much the versatility. It's the way the thing is made. Looks like you are out of luck if the bag fails and you don't have an extra. With something like sawyer, you can screw it to the bag, or a smartwater bottle, attach hoses to both ends, etc....

Mikeklm, I think you misunderstood my primary point..... its not so much the versatility. It's the way the thing is made. Looks like you are out of luck if the bag fails and you don't have an extra. With something like sawyer, you can screw it to the bag, or a smartwater bottle, attach hoses to both ends, etc....
    So bring an extra bag. The 2 liter Seeker weighs next to nothing. It's been 6 months since I weighed my setup, but 4 ounces for the BeFree + 2 liter Seeker is what I remember. Maybe a bit less.
    A video link to a lot of other videos.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uKclOscKfPg
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Hydrapak 2 liter Seeker.
    2.64 ounces. 75 grams.
    How does that compare to 1 liter SmartWater or Sawyer or Evernew bottles? Hey.
    Wayne

Images

my .6 bag finally sprung a small leak last hike. while it's still usable with a little duct tape on it, i know there is now a 1L but i can't find it on its own without the filter part b/c i don't need the filter part. so i guess i will order the 2L seeker bag if that fits the filter - is that correct? need to order for next weekends section hike
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

The 2L Seeker fits the BeFree filter perfectly.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    my .6 bag finally sprung a small leak last hike. while it's still usable with a little duct tape on it, i know there is now a 1L but i can't find it on its own without the filter part b/c i don't need the filter part. so i guess i will order the 2L seeker bag if that fits the filter - is that correct? need to order for next weekends section hike

Small leak? Resolved with Duct Tape? Did you poke a hole in it? Share the nature of the leak if you would please...

I returned the 0.6 bag in favor of the 1 ltr bag. I didn't see much opportunity to use the smaller bag. I use it in conjunction with the 2 litr Seeker as you describe, but the filter pretty much stays on the larger bag. The small bag stays home unless it's a day hike.

Images

i just went and got the seeker 2L it has a much more useful capacity than the .6 it came with which has now sprung a leak. i dont know how it sprung a leak it just did.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

These replies are why I decided to stick with the sawyer....most any water bottle your good to go...all bladders will fail so it's easily rectified by using a std thread water bottle...love the idea of much faster flow but the risk isn't worth drinking questionable water...

There's a video online. 2 SmartWater bottle adapter caps and some 1/4" tubing. Instant Seeker bladder to SmartWater bottle system.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There's a video online. 2 SmartWater bottle adapter caps and some 1/4" tubing. Instant Seeker bladder to SmartWater bottle system.
    Wayne

Here it is.
    Wayne

Here it is.
    Wayne

Thx....I just don't like not having a back up dirty water container but I guess could use the .6 or 1l clear bag and carry 2l seeker. Use the 1l as clean water carrier and back up if seeker fails...jury's out for me....as well as $$$....I'll keep my mini and new $10 evernew till it fails then may try this...by then it should have lots of good long term tests on longevity....

Wayne
    Easier to use two Smart Water sippy caps and press the hose into the caps opening. You're carrying the cap on the bottle already, and probably carry a backup as well ( I do ). So all I am adding is the short length of hose.

I havent read every post on the thread so dont know If its already been mentioned. Will Reitveld gave a good Befree review

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++