WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best way to get into NYC

I'll be going NOBO & have plans to go into NYC to visit family. I assume it's still okay to catch the train in Pawling, NY on the AT Metro (mile 1449). Is this the best, easiest way or are there other ways to do this.

Thank you.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Images

The AT Metro North only stops on weekends. The Pawling stop is the regular schedule. It's about a 2.5 mile walk south of the AT stop.

several ways - bus, train, taxi to train. Several different access pts. It's not just Pawling NY. You can go in from Vernon NJ, Greenwood lake NY, Graymor taxi to trail, bus that serves West Pt near Bear Mt, Poughkeepsie NY....

Images

You can get the train from Tuxedo (Elk Pen), or from Bear Mtn...........and Pawling

Or a bus from the Delaware Water Gap.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Nearby options I have used:

Port Jervis, NY has daily train service as well as bus service to NYC.
    Greenwood Lake has buses to NYC, daily.

The AT goes down Agony Grind then crosses NY 17 to get to Arden Valley Road into Harriman State Park.
    Taking NY 17 5.6 miles south (trail east) gets you to Tuxedo, NY. Station w/restrooms, hiker-friendly town library and deli across the street. Trains daily.
    Going 2.3 miles north (trail west) brings you to Harriman Park and Ride, but no amenities except a soda machine. Trains daily.

North side of Bear Mountain Bridge is 9D. Trail runs north on 9D and then turns uphill.
    Continuing north on 9D 1.7 miles, left on Manitou Rd, brings you to Manitou Stn. Small train platform, service only weekends.
    Continuing north on 9D 5 miles gets you to Garrison, NY with daily train service.
    Turning south on 9D (instead of north) you are 5 miles from Peekskill, NY with daily train service.

cheers,
    Glogg

Images

I thought I would post this here in case anyone was searching for the info because I wanted to update: I have road-walked Rt. 403 from Graymoor to the Garrison Metro North station several times, and IMO this road has become completely unsafe for walking. I don't know if it's the traffic volume or the speed or both, but yesterday I feared for my life the entire 2.5 miles, not a good way at all to end a hike! A much better alternative would be to figure out how to get to the next closest station, I think it's Manitou, and go from there. I will never walk 403 again.

Short line bus from Bear Mountain is practically on the trail.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

May not be the easiest... but since you’re out on a walk. Jump on the Long Path at its intersection with the AT in Harriman State Park. Walk her right into the subway station by the George Washington Bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by notbad View Post
    May not be the easiest... but since you’re out on a walk. Jump on the Long Path at its intersection with the AT in Harriman State Park. Walk her right into the subway station by the George Washington Bridge!
    May not be the easiest?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    May not be the easiest?
    You’ve already traveled almost 1400 miles by foot at this point. What’s another 40 miles right feral bill!? Probably a pretty efficient walker by this point.

May not be the easiest?
    Planes trains and buses have already been suggested. Figure we might aswell explore all the options.

Planes trains and buses have already been suggested. Figure we might aswell explore all the options.
    There used to be an excursion boat between Manhattan and Bear Mountain, too. I used it a couple of times in my younger days. May still be one.

There used to be an excursion boat between Manhattan and Bear Mountain, too. I used it a couple of times in my younger days. May still be one.
    Boats!! I love it! Get the water involved! May not be easiest but would carrying a packraft from Georgia be in the cards!??? Kidding... I’m just kidding!

Boats!! I love it! Get the water involved! May not be easiest but would carrying a packraft from Georgia be in the cards!??? Kidding... I’m just kidding!
    Back in the day you could have saved a 10 cent toll crossing the Hudson.

From Stroudsburg, PA you can get a b
    us to the Port Authority in MidTown. As you go further up trail, once you reach High Point State Park and the AT crosses Route 23 make your way NW a few miles to Port Jervis, NY and you can catch the MTA Port Jervis/NJ Transit Main Line to Hoboken. From there you can get the PATH or a ferry across to the City. Past the NJ/NY line you can also catch the same train in Harriman, NY just north of where the AT crosses the NY Thruway.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

From High Point all the way to Pawling, you're in suburbia. Call a taxi from any trailhead and ask them to drop you at the nearest train station.

(It's not quite as I describe. But it's close.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++