WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trekking poles

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    @venchka and kookork

All my breaks have been coming down steep declines at a fast pace or decending really rocky surfaces putting alot of weight on the poles.
    Trekking poles aren't designed to be a substitute for bones and leg muscles. Yes, you can get a little extra push up or braking going down out of them when ascending or descending, but just as ski poles are an aid and supplement for turning, trekking poles are meant to be an aid for balance by being an extra point of contact. They aren't like Canadian (forearm) crutches which are designed to support the full body weight of a person. If you're putting anything close to even half your body weight on them while descending, you're not using them for their designed purpose.

Trekking poles can handle a lot of weight if you are transferring it straight down through them. When you put lateral stress on them they are more prone to failure. You have to avoid leaning heavily on the poles when they are not close to perpendicular to the group. When I am going downhill and steep sections I put my palms on the top of the grip, set them in front of me and lean straight down onto it while I am stepping down. Take it slow and take it easy on your knees and your gear: when you're big gravity is not your friend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++