Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Let's face it: expectations of privacy on the Trail aren't particularly reasonable. There will be awkward situations. You can head off to relieve yourself a minute before an overtaking hiker you never saw coming has the same need. If people in a shelter pack together to make room for you when you straggle in out of the pouring rain, you shouldn't expect them to then contort themselves to look elsewhere as you disrobe. Just strip down and get into dry clothes quickly (the speed for heath reasons more than modesty), and don't worry about it. The hikers there didn't solicit you as a stripper, nor did you volunteer. It's just a bunch of people trying to avoid bad weather. I've never met anyone through-hiking for the purpose of perving on dirty, smelly fellow hikers occasionally forced by circumstances to get naked. That said, you probably want to exercise caution if you're sharing space with partiers or obvious short distance hikers. I put a lot more trust in serious through-hikers.

Do you think spending time dangling your clothing near a privy hole is a good idea? Embarrassment is much preferred to fecal contamination, methinks.

Should just come to maine where we have composting, ADA accessible privies that can easily sleep 6. They are pretty nice.

You could just take a piece of nylon 3 by 4 to hold up for her to dress behind it wouldn't weigh anything or hold up a sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyiss View Post
    You could just take a piece of nylon 3 by 4 to hold up for her to dress behind it wouldn't weigh anything or hold up a sleeping bag.
    I'd think a rain poncho would be a fine privacy barrier. Yet one more use for a poncho?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've double checked with the GSMNP website (if you attempt to get a General Backpacking Permit, the calendar page indicates if there is a privy or not).
    Double Spring Gap does NOT have a Privy, but Tricorner Knob, as does Cosby Knob.

Here's an update list.
    GSMNP AT Shelters with Privy:
    Spence Field
    Mt. Collins
    Icewater Springs
    Pecks Corner
    Tricorner Knob
    Cosby Knob

GSMNP AT Shelters/Campsite WITH OUT Privy:
    Mollies Ridge
    Russell Field
    Derrick Knob
    Silers Bald
    Double Spring Gap
    Davenport Gap
    Not to be argumentative, but Double Spring Gap had a privy the 3 times I've overnighted there. Most recently was Last March. It's on the North West (Tennessee) side, which is why I've only ever used the North Carolina side spring for water.

As far as advice on privacy, the others have offered up anything I could think of, except for use of a tent. If the shelters are full, tenting at shelter sites is allowed - not to mention the possibility of an emergency, so between the two of you, I would recommend bringing at least one tent.

The shelters that have privies in the GSMNP are all handicapped accessible and quite large to my recollection. I even think the walls are tall enough for her to change her top, but if not, she can turn her back. They also have handicapped rails which can be used to hang her clothes. (No privy at Mollies Ridge) I would use those to change if she is bashful. I think she will find over time that nearly all hikers will respect another hiker changing especially the opposite sex. Have a great hiking adventure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

If I were hiking with my dad, I'd probably be more modest than normal.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but Double Spring Gap had a privy the 3 times I've overnighted there...
    I've only hiked by Double Springs a couple of times, never so much as stopping for a break. That's why I turned to the GSMNP's own web site to determine if there is or isn't a privy. They must have it wrong as I've now double checked reservation system calendar for Double Spring Gap and it does indeed say "No Privy On Site".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++